Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Long_Term_Acne

Stronger Adapalene(differin)

A randomized, multicenter, investigator-blinded, active- and vehicle-controlled study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of adapalene gel 0.3% versus adapalene gel 0.1% and the corresponding gel vehicle. Subjects were assigned randomly to receive either adapalene gel 0.3%, adapalene gel 0.1%, or vehicle once daily for 12 weeks. A total of 214 subjects with moderate to moderately severe acne vulgaris were enrolled, and 85% of subjects completed the study. Adapalene gel 0.3% was significantly superior to adapalene gel 0.1% in total and noninflammatory lesion counts and in global severity score (P < .05 for all). A concentration-dependent increase in clinical benefit for all efficacy assessments was observed. As expected, there were also statistically significant differences in all efficacy parameters in the adapalene gel 0.3% group relative to the vehicle group (P < .001 for all). Treatment-related adverse events were mostly mild-to-moderate and similar between active groups. The results of this study show that adapalene gel 0.3% was superior to adapalene gel 0.1% and vehicle in the treatment of moderate to moderately severe acne while retaining a similar safety and tolerability profile to adapalene 0.1% gel.

This is quite interesting as I often wondered why differin was only 0.1% I used differin with oral antibiotics for a while and only had limited success really, although it did improve to a point. I use it with benzamycin now and have got even better, but not clear. Perhaps this 0.3% will help even more. What the strength increase would do, i'm not particularly sure. Any ideas? Would it improve the adapalenes ability to bind to the relevant receptors and give stronger results?

If it reduces the amount of lesions, then I think its's a good idea. I don't suffer too much redness/irritation from the 0.1% differin, so I would certainly give it a try.

The 0.1% gel trashed my face, I'd hate to see what the 0.3% would do.

I think differin is very gentle. 0.3 is a good idea.

It's a matter of timing. It made me peel really bad at first, and the derms don't tell you that you should really put it only for only an hour or two at first. Nowadays I can leave it on for 24 hours and I will only get a slight peel.

I thought about buying some pure adapalene and having a pharmacist compound it to .3 or even .4 percent strength, but it seemed like a lot of trouble.