Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi

I'm getting really pissed off at the mo with all my diff types of prescription, BP gel, aloe vera...vit C, b5 etc etc I think I've finally accepted the fact that I should go on accutane. But was wondering how it was for you guys? What were your experiences and how bad were the side effects? Did it not work for some people??

All help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

xxx

But was wondering how it was for you guys? What were your experiences and how bad were the side effects? Did it not work for some people??

This is the first time I've visited this site in ages. It hasn't been on my mind to visit because Accutane has CLEARED MY ACNE. Before I started I had about 10-20 active pimples, now I have ONE active one (mnd you it is a cyst which I never used to get). I used to get one new one a day, now I get one new every couple of weeks.

Downsides are I have red marks from acne that has cleared while on accutane, but these are fading and take up to 6 months to disappear completely. Covering these in makeup is no probs atm.

Had minor side effects (e.g., dry skin, dry lips, increased joint pain after exercise), but these have been tolerable and well worth the outcome. No horror stories here. Accutane is a godsend. As a 23-year old I now feel I fit in with other adults and can get on with life. I am loving it! I highly recommend accutane.

Relevant information: female, weight is 57kilograms, 40mg pday for 6 months, acne hardly improved until midway through month 4 (I was convinced it was not going to work!), have completed just over 5 months, initial breakout = same amount of active pimples but developed many cystic pimples that I had never had before (and still get these occasionally since commencing accutane), current liver tests normal.

I love accutane!

1st time cleared me up pretty good..

acne came back in about 3 months...

came back bad within 4 months...

went on 2nd course..

been off it for about 1 1/2 month now...

so far, no new pimples, but still lots of redmarks left over...

using medication currently to get rid of that...

It was only after I'd finished Accutane that my acne cleared up. I still got the odd spot and this lasted for about 6 - 9 months then I started to get acne again - although not as severe.