Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrea

Andrea's Accutane Journal

My wife was on Ortho-Tricyclen before we decided to try and have a baby. It kept her pretty clear...we never realized HOW clear it kept her until she went off it. Her breakouts have gotten 10 times worse since coming off it, but she is a trooper and it doesn't hurt her confidence at all (besides, kinda hurts our odds of conceiving when she is on it...hehe).

Kev

Day 75/ Week 12:

*** 10 & 11 WEEK UPDATE ***

Sorry for the lag guys. I guess it's harder to update now since I'm confident enough to go out! My face has been perfectly clear for about a week now, except for a minor breakout (due to my period). The texture is unbelievably smooth, and the redness is not even that noticeable anymore. As for the dryness, it's not so much my face anymore, it's my body. I have to moisturize like crazy.

Everyone who has seen my face can't believe how clear my skin is. I even went to a party with my friends (minus the drinking) on Saturday, a first in about 5 months! :D/ With makeup, I really looked like the old me. I wasn't even focused on my face the entire time - instead I had fun and had normal face to face conversations with people.

The biggest test is when I go home this Wednesday to see my family. They havn't seen me since my 4th week of treatment. And we all know what a long way I've come from there... =D>

Overall:

All clear :( I love Accutane! I think this has been the best decision in my life! All the quirks of being on Accutane are habit now, so nothing seems like a drag. The other day, a girl even asked what kind of lipgloss I was using because it was so pretty (IT'S VASELINE!!!! :) ) My friend also asked me what new perfume I was using (It was Vaseline Moisturizing Lotion!) Who knew Accutane could make me into a trend setter...hahaha!

Day 81/Week 12:

Ouch. A pimple has taken residence on the corner of my mouth. Definitely due to the Vaseline. It's kind of painful, especially when I eat. Another 2 whiteheads have developed beneath the jawline. Not too bad, but annoying.

Overall, my face is clear and the compliments keep on coming. My family was especially impressed. They couldn't get over it...all I heard were oohs and ahhs, and a lot of "congratulations!" =D> With makeup, I go out and no one could ever guess I am on a hardcore acne medication.

Now that the pimples are gone, I'm noticing the deep scars they left behind. My cheeks are especially bad, with ice-pick scars that look like something gouged at my face! I know I have to wait 6 months to a year after my treatment before I can do any type of scar treatment (like laser resurfacing or micro-demabrasion), so it's up to the makeup to hide it for now.

I'm running out of pills in 5 days but can't get a derm appointment till the 24th. 5 DAYS WITHOUT PILLS?! oh good lord! #-o I definitely need to call back and harass the doctor's office.

Day 85/Week 13:

*** 12 WEEK UPDATE ***

I was enjoying a nice, clear complexion when BAM! Three whiteheads sprouted practically overnight #-o I know it sounds pathetic to whine over three tiny whiteheads, but after enjoying smooth skin, it's a pain in the butt. I'm trying to figure out what caused the mini-breakout...lack of water? the weather too hot? because I stopped using the Benza-clin for awhile? I dunno - too many questions and not enough answers. Isn't that the problem with acne anyways? ](*,)

The nastiest part of my breakout was a rather disgusting looking pimple on the side of my mouth - right in the crevice. It looked like a canker-sore, but worse. It's still there now, but without the whitehead. I can just feel the stares when people look at my face. sigh. :roll:

Hopefully this is just a mini-set back. This breakout may have won the battle, but Accutane will win this war!!! [-o<

Overall:

A mini-breakout = frustration. Hope these blemishes go away as soon as they appeared. Not too long before the school year starts...

Day 108/Week 16:

Wow. It's been a long time since I've updated - almost a month. Happy to say that my skin was pretty much blemish free for the past month. I was able to wear makeup flawlessly and I was 100% confident about my skin.........till yesterday. I got a huge zit on my forehead and another on my left cheek. And I'm talking huge. I'm almost positive it has to do with my period right around the corner, but regardless, it pretty much sucks. I'm hoping that they disappear soon.

Another bad thing is that I feel bumps beneath my forehead. Potential for some major cysts - very scared shock.gif I missed a couple of pills a few days ago because I was extremely busy. Maybe it's the lack of sleep, the missed pills or the high stress...who knows. But I'm really hoping it just goes away.........

Hi all,

I know it's been forever since I've posted...nearly 2 months! Proud to say that I've been 100% clear for awhile now. I'm talking perfectly flawless skin. I just completed my 6 month course...I can't believe how fast time flies.

I constantly get compliments on my skin. Not just from people who are comparing it to my old skin, but random strangers...even a girl at the makeup counter! The redness has almost completely faded, and although some hyperpigmentation remains, I know it will only be time before I can get some scar treatments to clear it up.

As for the side effects, everything has been fine. I still have the dry lips and dry eyes, but that is easy to live with. Unfortunately, I think my vision may have gotten a little worse at night, but my derm reassures me it will be fine within a couple of days. Last month, my blood results indicated that my liver enzyme count was high, but still within "normal" limits - PHEW! Besides that, no other health problems to report.

Accutane has been a miracle. I just want all of those out there who are suffering from cystic acne to TALK TO YOUR DERM...get the facts on Accutane and see if it is for you! All of the side effects, derm appointments, pills and time have been worth it.

For all those on Accutane now, please feel free to message me if you have any question or concerns. Thanks for all the support you all have given me along my journey to clear skin. I truly appreciate it. smile.gif

What kind of doses were you on? I stared Roaccutane on the 1st of october at 20mg a day. Then in November I started 40mg a day. It's mid December and I just can't seem to see any improvement, it actually seems to constantly be getting worse... I'm thinking of asking my derm to bump the dose up to 60 or 70 mg a day.... Hmmmm... i hoped this stuff would work faster.. but i guess that's the problem with people with acne.. they want it to work yesterday!

I was on 40 mg a day. I weigh 120lbs and I'm 5'2. Don't worry...you're only 4 weeks in. Hang in there because improvement may be around the corner. Things that I feel really helped were:

1) Use a toner!! Even though your oil production may go down, the dirt is still there. I used Clinique clarifying lotion 1 1/2. You'd be surprised at how much gunk is on your face at the end of the day.

2) Drink tons of water. I've read that it helps lessen the initial breakout and helps your body adjust to the medicine better so you can heal faster.

3) Use some sort of topical cream for the first few weeks. I think using Benzaclin really helped speed up the healing process. It gets rid of the existing blemishes while Accutane helps prevent new ones from forming.

4) Ice your face. It helps reduce swelling and definitely soothes itchy skin.

5) Keep a positive attitude. I know it sounds lame, but if you're down all the time, it just makes me process that more difficult. Hang in there...my derm says that if you're in the 15% that doesn't get completely healed by Accutane, you're breakouts will at least be less severe and further apart.

Hope this helps & GOOD LUCK

Well its been 3 months since I've stopped Accutane and my skin is still perfectly clear! The worst part are the scars...they are more visble now than ever. It's mostly the ice pick scars on my cheeks that bother me. My overall skin tone is evening out, although there is still some discoloration from the redness that lasted for 6 months.

My oil production has resumed. It feels so weird!! I now get oily, but no pimples. My lips are no longer chapped, and I have been wearing lipgloss regularly for about 2 months now. The only blemish to report was one that lasted about a day. It was a TINY whitehead, that was gone just about as quickly as it appeared. Maybe it was just a figment of my imagination?! :-s

I've switched to a higher toner (Clinique Clarifying Lotion #2 instead of 1 1/2) since I am not producing more oil and therefore more dirt. My face looks great, I feel great, and I am soooo happy that the acne chapter is over in my life.

If you have any specific questions regarding Accutane, feel free to message me! smile.gif

Thats so cool Andrea.

I've been following your progress since u started. I'm now about to start roaccutane myself, and can't *wait* to see if it clears my skin.

I'm so pleased for you. I just pray I have the same success! And that the initial breakout doesn't get to me too drastically.

Hi guys -

Wow it's been a year since I've posted anything on this site...just wanted to let you all know that I have been clear since finishing Accutane in December '03. That means a year and a half of clear skin! Of course, there are a few small pimples here and there (around that time of the month), but other than that I can honestly say I have not really broken out since getting off Accutane. I have recommended it to all people I know suffering from acne. It really has changed my life.

I hope everyone's different treatments are working for them. Feel free to leave me a message if you have any questions!

Andrea

hey andrea!

It looks like you started drying up pretty fast. I'm on week two of accutane but my skin is one huge french fry. sad.gif I'm beginning to think that my skin will never get dry.

Hello all! I decided to visit my old blog I started 2.5 years ago...I've been off of Accutane for 2 years now and have been blemish free since. I do have the occasional pimple, but I have NOT broken out since I have been off Accutane. I know one of my biggest concerns while taking Accutane was that it was a medication that worked IN THE LONG RUN - - I can proudly say that 2 years later, I am still blemish free!!

This blog was my only outlet when I suffered for 6 months with horrible acne...I hope that this message inspires people to know that accutane DID work for me, and did so in the long run. It was the best decision I've ever made, and well worth the side effects. I can remember a time where I was SO low - acne left me hopeless and depressed. I am so far away from that dark hole, and I have Accutane to be thankful for that. Good luck to those going through their own Accutane journeys! :wavey:

Wow, seems like you hardly had any side affects taking this. I just did my blood test and hopefully by Monday I'm clear to take accutane. I wished I had done this earlier on in my life.