Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aaron98

100,000 units? of vitamin A

Could 100,000u of vitamin a a day be bad? what are the side effects of it?. i've cut it back to 50,000 anyway... doc says it should be fine, i have blood tests almost monthly.

I would stick to high dose beta carotene instead of vitamin a. They are almost the same thing beta carotene is coverted to vitamin a in your body and it is much less toxic. just keep in mind the greek word for drugs mean both cure and poison, so use them wisely.

I would stick to high dose beta carotene instead of vitamin a. They are almost the same thing beta carotene is coverted to vitamin a in your body and it is much less toxic. just keep in mind the greek word for drugs mean both cure and poison, so use them wisely.

Yes that is true but i am posting in terms of harm reduction. I dont think taking 20 times the recommended daily dose of anything can be considered safe. Yes you will not get as much vitamin a but that is the point as it is fat soluble and will build up exssecively in tissues causing toxicity. Beta carotene is similar enough in structure to vitamin a to make it useful, as is accutane also.

Just remember even if you dont feel any side effects it can still be affecting your body on a cellular level where you will not notice too much until it gets out of hand.

Yes that is true but i am posting in terms of harm reduction. I dont think taking 20 times the recommended daily dose of anything can be considered safe. Yes you will not get as much vitamin a but that is the point as it is fat soluble and will build up exssecively in tissues causing toxicity. Beta carotene is similar enough in structure to vitamin a to make it useful, as is accutane also.

Just remember even if you dont feel any side effects it can still be affecting your body on a cellular level where you will not notice too much until it gets out of hand.

i agree with ya' about O.D.ing on vit. A, but i think I read that the amount of it that you get from beta is extremely low compared to normal doses of vit. A.

100,000 units of Vitamin A seems quite toxic actually. Since the rdi is approximately 5,000 iu of Vitamin A per day, 100,000 seems quite over the top. Since it is a fat-soluble vitamin, just like D and E, it is harder for the body to tolerate excess amounts. Although, excess amounts of water-soluble vitamins like C and B vitamins, are tolerated easier and excess of these is usually found in urine. I wouldn't know where you could find a dosage that high of Vitamin A, and would recommend a max of 10,000 iu.

Could 100,000u of vitamin a a day be bad? what are the side effects of it?. i've cut it back to 50,000 anyway... doc says it should be fine, i have blood tests almost monthly.

I think that's not high enough. Carotenes are non toxic but if you take very high does like 300,000I.U to 500,000I.U then your skin may trun orange/yellow. but if you reduce the doseage then your skin will turn back to normal.

I am taking about 20,000 to 40,000 IU of fish liver oil Vitamin A a day... I read on a site someone was taking 100,000 to 300,000 for their acne and it made them feel sick. I also read on that site that you shouldnt take more than 500,000 IU.

Are you taking beta carotene or the fish liver oil kind? If you are getting blood tests then at least you are monitoring it.