Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

more skinny ppl are affected by acne. I dont mean to offend anyone but just having look round at school iv noticed that people u would consider skinny or normal weight are much more affected by acne. I havnt seen many larger people with acne.

Just a thought any1 else noticed this or have a comment?

this has nothing to do with weight... having lots of acne have different cause, it just so happens fat people in your area loves to take care of their skin than skinny slender people.

Guest blackheadben

i would have to disagree. i had anorexia a year ago. it lasted for about two years. i remember my skin being very clear, granted, it was ashen all of the time, but clear nonetheless.i think food has a lot to do with zits.

Yes, skinny people are more affected by acne...i think the reason is that their digestive system or liver is not functioning properly..releasing more toxins.

well because skinny people tend to eat alot and never gain alot of weight? I believe the reason because of fast metabolism and digestive system isnt working properly. therefore, food gets threw the body really fast and not all nutrients are absorbed into the body.

Guest james11
well because skinny people tend to eat alot and never gain alot of weight? I believe the reason because of fast metabolism and digestive system isnt working properly. therefore, food gets threw the body really fast and not all nutrients are absorbed into the body.

This concept is not entirely "crazy"...

I myself have noticed more thin people having acne, than fuller figure people... I'm not saying that the latter don't get acne, but it seems more prolific in thinner people...

I'm 35, therefore I've been around a long time and I make a lot of observations...

Whenever I lose weight I get breakouts, whenever I'm at my heaviest weight (55kgs) my skin is much clearer...

I saw my doctor a couple of days ago and he mentioned my skin saying it looks a bit like rosacea, so he will monitor it (I don't think it is) and he even said "have you lost some weight over winter" and I said, "yes, I always lose weight in winter and gain in summer, this has been happening to me since I was 15 years old"... so he weighed me... he's amazed at this concept because most people gain in winter, but i told him i'm a creature of habit and I eat basically the same structured diet all year round and do the same amount of exercise, but in winter i'm burning off more (natural metabolism thing because it's cold) to keep warm... blah, blah, blah....

Anyway, he gave me a pile of material to read on rosacea, and gave me some links to some helpful sites...

This may be stuff you've all heard of before, but I've read some fascinating stuff on the causes of acne, rosacea, dermatitis, psorisis (spelling), etc, etc, etc, and other skin conditions, and how the bulk of these conditions may actually be caused by the demodex mite -- which we all have living all over our bodies, in our pores and hair follicles... normally they live in harmony with humans, but for many of us, about 60% of the population have some kind of the above reaction to them and this is all related to our immune system...

So sometimes a lot of thinner people, whether they naturally have a higher metabolism, do exercise or just watch what they eat, are actually on the negative side of a healthy immune system, so they are more suspectible to the demodex mite causing acne, rosacea, etc....

So just do a Google on demodex mite relating to acne/rosacea and do some reading for yourself and make up your own mind...

But personally i do notice that a lot of slimmer/thin people suffer from acne and I was thinking of starting a thread on it, in particular relating to the immune system stuff and the demodex mite, but i thought people might just think i'm a total nutter! biggrin.gif

i have to agree because a year ago i was chubby and ive been loosing weight ever sense and ive gotten acne

None of my parents had acne only my dad but it didn't last long he had mild acne for about a year....I got more of my moms features...she had perfect skin so why do i have it? I really don't know if genes play part in acne, in my case, they definitely don't. No one in my family had severe acne as me. I feel i'm from a different planet

My parents are both thin, and I'm thin. None of us gain weight.

My dad had bad acne until his twenties (since I have his oily skin and acne, he's definitely where I get it from). My mom didn't have acne. She had the occasional blemish.

Acne is hereditary, it's a known fact. Just because your parents didn't show symptoms or have problems with it, doesn't mean they couldn't have had it, or it doesn't mean they were a carrier for the disease. These are different times as well, your mom and dad probably weren't exposed to the harsh cleansers, scrubs, and topicals that we use. Who knows why they break out as bad as you.

Guest james11

Hey i'm still holding my views on this whole issue.

Do fat people have healthy digestive systems and a good immune system?? Does that mite thingy leave a fat body, and come back when you lose weight??

I think that maybe you're looking at a coincidental thing here.

For instance, define skinny as a single person.

What do you mean by skinny?? Slim? Athletic? Scrawny? Rake?

Now consider all the possible reasons for different people being any one of these body types.

-A teenage girl with an eating disorder

-An athlete who trains alot

-A boy whom is genetically slim

-A girl who is genetically tall and really rakey

If they all have Acne is it fair to assume that all these people can be labelled under "more skinny people have Acne"?

I truly think it's way too crazy.

i think i mite be on to something here judging by alot of responses. just to the first response alot of acne is not from bad skin care when u sed the fat kids probably just have good personal hygeine.

i just dont understand why there isnt more research on acne.

who ever came up with a effective fast safe not bad side effects could make millions.

Guest james11

I still think your initial explanation of the skinny people theory has little merit. You have to be more specific when you give a cause of Acne. It can't just be that skinny people get it because they're metabolism is fast, they may all have various reasons as to why they are skinny.

I read that post with the link and it made more sense. Lets not freak too many people out here, everyone knows how annoying it is when you hear of another general statement as to why Acne occurs. Stress adjust your hormonal levels and is well proven to be a factor in Acne presence, people get freaked out with all these new theories that no-one can give them a clear answer too, that equals stress. Chill out a bit people, stick to a simple skin routine, eat a well balanced diet(cut out known allergents-such as milk, yeast, gluten) and if you happen to be skinny then i guess you're skinny.

I don't know, i suppose i just know how complicated Acne is for me and i don't need to complicate it more by worrying about this stuff!

Guest james11

i am going to bump this one. If you want proof about skinny people read the link in my post. Here it is again. well worth a read. Skinny people with acne who cant put on weight, with big hands, who get depressed sometimes and are hyper other times READ this................................

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthr...667&page=1&pp=5

Depressed sometimes and hyper the others?? Sounds to me like manic-depressive, not skinny-syndrome or mite attack. Big hands? WTF is that?

Guest james11

Yeah i'm of an athletic build, always have been. I never had Acne until i was around 19. During high school i drank and didn't eat nearly as good a diet as i do now. I havn't had any alcohol for 2 years now and would say that my digestive system is healthier now than when i was drinking/eating not so well.

There are so many things that you can generalise about causing Acne and i feel this is another one.

If the claim was that "people with poor digestive systems are more prone to having Acne", i would be less sceptical.

I'm allergic to yeast, wheat, lactose, gluten and can't eat much sugar so my diet is very closely watched.

Does no-one else think it's a little dubious? Also i have hands that are in proportion to my body.

How about this, most people who are suffering from Acne are under alot of stress as a result of their problem and this stress causes the bodies functions (such as digestive system, thyroid etc) to fuction poorly.

I know that stress changes hormonal secretion, the thyroid is effected by these changes, the metabolism is then changed!

I know alot of skinny people who have no Acne, maybe it's genetics, maybe it's something else. Do they have no Acne because their digestive system is good? Even though they are the sort of people that eat everything and never put on weight!

You need the hormonal input, not just the fast metabolism! I propose the exact opposite of what you are saying. "Acne can cause severe stress, and this stress leads to poor digestive health".

Who else here would agree that since they had Acne, they have felt alot less healthy??

Guest Cubsfan

dude thats not research, if only research was that simple, just by looking at differences then making a conclusion, but you do have a point.

skinny people with faster metabolism may have a pancreas that releases more insulin (insulin regulates metabolism of blood glucose). Insulin is a hormone, hormonal imbalances triggers your sebaceous glands to secrete sebum which leads to acne.

overweight people tend to have a slower metabolism, their pancreas may not release that much insulin to regulate the metabolism of their blood glucose, thus they get less ance.

you can either cut out your pancreas ( :naughty: not advisable) or cut out the refined carbs you eat to combat the insulin spike.

Guest james11

dude thats not research, if only research was that simple, just by looking at differences then making a conclusion, but you do have a point.

skinny people with faster metabolism may have a pancreas that releases more insulin (insulin regulates metabolism of blood glucose). Insulin is a hormone, hormonal imbalances triggers your sebaceous glands to secrete sebum which leads to acne.

overweight people tend to have a slower metabolism, their pancreas may not release that much insulin to regulate the metabolism of their blood glucose, thus they get less ance.

you can either cut out your pancreas ( :naughty: not advisable) or cut out the refined carbs you eat to combat the insulin spike.

i assume you're having a stab at the person who started this post and claims to have done their own research?

your knowledge on this subject was good to read. The Insulin info that is.