Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boston50

Accutane Experience

I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I can't ask the derm because we switched derms (he was a jerk). My daughter was on accutane for 6 months. The first month at 40 mgs and the last 5 at 80 mgs. She broke out horribly within the first 24 hours (worse breakout of her life). This breakout got worse and worse and lasted till month 3 - 4. I finally asked the derm to give her prednisone which calmed things down. She was clear in month 5 and 6 but had a ton of red marks which persist here 9 months after quitting. Actually, the week she got off she had a big zit on her cheek but the derm said "you're done". She started breaking out again almost immediately. Now here in month 9 she is back on bactrim and topicals, etc. etc. We tried proactiv first and facials with bad results. The Bactrim was prescribed by her general practitioner since we were having trouble getting in to see her derm. She's clearing slowly now on the antibiotic. I really wanted her to be done with all this.

A friend of hers took accutane at the same time and looks like he never had a zit and never will get one again. He's just totally, perfectly clear. This is for all of you taking the drug. It is a miracle for some so don't get discouraged.

So, what does this mean about her acne? Does it mean that her acne won't respond to accutane. What do you suggest? Anybody had an experience like this. Would a second course do it or would it just be hell like the first? I'm pretty confused.

Guest tenshigirl25

was she gentle with her skin or did she pick and squeeze a lot during the course? sounds as though she is very sensitive. I started on 20mg, then went up to 40mg..im still on 40mg now until my derm says otherwise. maybe she could take 20mg for a longer period of time on a 2nd course? it would still do the job and not break out so terribly and then in the last month or 2 up the dosage again? how old is your daughter by the way? could it be a hormone problem? i took diane 35 b4 accutane and now on it again but it cleared my acne up at the time. I also have very sensitive skin and if i wash too much or pickd just once, it would spread like wildfire.

yes, she does have sensitive skin and tends to pick. I'm sure her skin in the shape it was in was probably too much of a temptation to leave alone. If the derm ever suggests accutane again, I'll ask about the low dosage. She tried bc pills once but ortho-tri-cyclen made it very bad also. Is diane 35 available in the U.S.? Thanks for your response.

how about 2nd round of accutane?

if the acne is really that bad i suggest you go find another GP and make them send u to another Derm asap.

if her accutane is like that, the only solution is to see another derm.

Hey Boston, I think in the U.S. Diane-35 goes by the name Yasmin, I could be wrong though. I'm on my second month of Diane-35 right now, for the birth control aspect but also because it's supposed to help with acne. I had a co-worker once who had amazing skin and she said it was all because of Diane-35... so I hope it'll help my skin stay clear. It's definitely worth looking into for your daughter.

Here is what my pamphlet thingy says:

The cyproterone acetate contained in DIANE-35 inhibits the influence of the androgens (male hormones) which are also naturally produced by women. It can be used to treat conditions that are caused by either an increased production of androgens or an increased sensitivity to these hormones. Examples of androgen-dependent conditions in women are pronounced forms of acne, especially those which are accompanied by seborrhea, inflammation or formation of nodes, and mild forms of hirsutism.

The cyproterone acetate also reduces the activity of the sebaceous gland which plays an important role in the development of acne and seborrhea. This leads, usually within 3-6 months of therapy, to the healing or improvement of existing acne. The excessive greasiness of the hair and skin generally disappears earlier. The loss of hair which frequently accompanies seborrhea likewise diminishes.

Hope this was of some help!

Mae

Guest tenshigirl25

i think yasmin is similiar to diane 35 but not diane 35...here is the website, i think u can order this offline without a prescription. www.diane-35.com

acne is defineltey a hormone problem for me and because my skin irritates so easily, i just used to make things 10 x worse by picking and scrubbing and over washing. i also stopped drinking so much milk, choclate milk and bread, chocolate and i think cocounut had some weird reaction with my skin..th best thing i can do is leave it alone and take diane 35 which worked about month 8 for me but sooner for others. some girls dont like it because it can make u put on weight..but for me, its ok.

Ive also heard many horror stories about ortho-triyclen..i can completely relate and im on 40mg a day now and stressing out and touching only magnifies it..if i stop all of that my skin really starts to dry up and improve again.

i think yasmin is similiar to diane 35 but not diane 35...here is the website, i think u can order this offline without a prescription. www.diane-35.com

acne is defineltey a hormone problem for me and because my skin irritates so easily, i just used to make things 10 x worse by picking and scrubbing and over washing. i also stopped drinking so much milk, choclate milk and bread, chocolate and i think cocounut had some weird reaction with my skin..th best thing i can do is leave it alone and take diane 35 which worked about month 8 for me but sooner for others. some girls dont like it because it can make u put on weight..but for me, its ok.

Ive also heard many horror stories about ortho-triyclen..i can completely relate and im on 40mg a day now and stressing out and touching only magnifies it..if i stop all of that my skin really starts to dry up and improve again.

I would think that starting on 40 is dangorous, especially for a girl.... your system is suppossed to get used to the drug.... and then 80mg already after just 4 weeks....... sounds like a crazy derm.

I don't think starting at 40mg is considered dangerous, unless your weight is very low. I started at 40mg and I weigh 120lbs. After 4 weeks, I moved up to 60mg. I never went up to 80, though I think I could have handled it if I'd had to. Boston's daughter does seem to have very sensitive skin though, with quick reactions to pretty much everything. If you do try a second course of Accutane, I think discussing a lower dose with your new derm would be worth trying! Update us!

Mae

I don't think starting at 40mg is considered dangerous, unless your weight is very low. I started at 40mg and I weigh 120lbs. After 4 weeks, I moved up to 60mg. I never went up to 80, though I think I could have handled it if I'd had to. Boston's daughter does seem to have very sensitive skin though, with quick reactions to pretty much everything. If you do try a second course of Accutane, I think discussing a lower dose with your new derm would be worth trying! Update us!

Mae

Hey Boston, i havent seen u for a while.. well i havent been on in ageeesss.. !!!

Anyways, yeah i can give u the low down on my course coz i remember u asking about Prednisone to me a while back. Well i was put on pred for about 4-5months... high - low - stop dose. It was balanced for the accutane, meaning i started accutane very low... then increased sorta met at an equilibrium then when i was at 40mg a day i weeded off the prednisone. Now i'm almost up to 11months on tane, i'm finishing my last 2 boxes at 60mg with only a few tiny breakouts here and there that dont last long.

Basically i cleared from month 1 and by doing this i avoided any initial breakout. I have a log of my accutane journey which will explain my dosages much more clearly. Oh and i was on minocycline during low dose accutane so that might have helped.

I would recommend a second round for your daughter. but i would also recommend a month - 2 months on prednisone, and come off VERY slow so if on 20mg / day... drop to 15mg... 10mg .. 5.... 4. 3 2 .1 1/2 then stop. thats what i sorta did.

Anyways best of luck in controlling the beast!

Hey Boston, i havent seen u for a while.. well i havent been on in ageeesss.. !!!

Anyways, yeah i can give u the low down on my course coz i remember u asking about Prednisone to me a while back. Well i was put on pred for about 4-5months... high - low - stop dose. It was balanced for the accutane, meaning i started accutane very low... then increased sorta met at an equilibrium then when i was at 40mg a day i weeded off the prednisone. Now i'm almost up to 11months on tane, i'm finishing my last 2 boxes at 60mg with only a few tiny breakouts here and there that dont last long.

Basically i cleared from month 1 and by doing this i avoided any initial breakout. I have a log of my accutane journey which will explain my dosages much more clearly. Oh and i was on minocycline during low dose accutane so that might have helped.

I would recommend a second round for your daughter. but i would also recommend a month - 2 months on prednisone, and come off VERY slow so if on 20mg / day... drop to 15mg... 10mg .. 5.... 4. 3 2 .1 1/2 then stop. thats what i sorta did.

Anyways best of luck in controlling the beast!

Hey Craigems! - will you be our derm? Sounds like you know more about this then they do.

hell i would love to be a derm ... ... maybe lol. I feel for ur daughter because it is hell, and i dont understand why derms dont use prednisone more... my derm did and he saved me sooo much scarring.

Actually i would suggest taking a flight down to where i am (Australia) and hook u up with my derm for 6months lol... a 6 month trips always fun and he'll fix u up no worries :)

hell i would love to be a derm ... ... maybe lol. I feel for ur daughter because it is hell, and i dont understand why derms dont use prednisone more... my derm did and he saved me sooo much scarring.

Actually i would suggest taking a flight down to where i am (Australia) and hook u up with my derm for 6months lol... a 6 month trips always fun and he'll fix u up no worries :)

Hey Craigems - I know about the prednisone. She took it in months 3 - 5 of accutane otherwise I don't think she would have cleared at all. She still did scar some but her facial lady says they are surface and will go away with time. She's taken prednisone twice in the past 30 days just to calm breakouts before trips. It works like magic but I don't think it's particululary safe and everything comes back anyway. It's hard on your liver like accutane is and most drugs for that matter. I've read where it can weaken your liver so that it can't filter properly in the future causing more breakouts blah blah blah. Some acne boards say that the key to acne control is strenghtening the digestive track with cleanses and strenghtening the liver. Also, blah blah blah cause she aint' gonna do that I know!

I'm also kind of amazed at how long you've been on tane. She still had a zit or two at 6 months and the old derm just said "you're done". What could we do. She wanted to be off too by that time. I think her nose bled every day for 6 months.

As for the new derm, I'm thinking I need to have a little chat with the guy myself cause my dd is a sweetheart and kind of shy (but beautiful!) and kind of rolls over where her acne is concerned.

Do you think I should do that?

I would say look dude, enough of this farting around... In fact, I'm the one who got her gp (not derm) to prescribe oral antibiotics again. The topicals just weren't cutting it. I also wanted to say that she hates accutane and I don't think she'll do two courses unless someone really pushes her - probably not mommy doing the pushing. Also, I really feel like she needs some microdermabrasion before round two.

Thanks for your listening ear and comments.

Hi Boston,

I was wondering what happened to your daughter, i'm sorry to hear that she is again having problems. My friend who also has a daughter about your daughter's age (15) was on accutane for 9 months. She was great for about 6 months but then suffered a terrible breakout last march. She is again, on accutane for her second treatment. She is clear again but is scarred. Her mom said that after her treatment, the derm is going to do some scar treatment. She is optimistic that this will be her last go. Did your daughter break out terribly and how long after the end of the accutane? I will tell you that while my son was on accutane, the derm would not stop the treatment until at least one month of no breakouts at all. He was on 7 months.

My son is doing very well since his last pill of accutane which will be two years in June. He does have little breakouts here and there but we have been using just the Neutragena on the spot bp and it seems to do the trick. It will be a year December since we have been to a derm. What a pleasure!

I hope that everything works out for you and especially your daughter. I know what it is to have a child going through this, its just horrible. Please let me know what you decide.

Hi Boston,

I was wondering what happened to your daughter, i'm sorry to hear that she is again having problems. My friend who also has a daughter about your daughter's age (15) was on accutane for 9 months. She was great for about 6 months but then suffered a terrible breakout last march. She is again, on accutane for her second treatment. She is clear again but is scarred. Her mom said that after her treatment, the derm is going to do some scar treatment. She is optimistic that this will be her last go. Did your daughter break out terribly and how long after the end of the accutane? I will tell you that while my son was on accutane, the derm would not stop the treatment until at least one month of no breakouts at all. He was on 7 months.

My son is doing very well since his last pill of accutane which will be two years in June. He does have little breakouts here and there but we have been using just the Neutragena on the spot bp and it seems to do the trick. It will be a year December since we have been to a derm. What a pleasure!

I hope that everything works out for you and especially your daughter. I know what it is to have a child going through this, its just horrible. Please let me know what you decide.

it's good to hear from you nycdee... I'm glad your son is doing so well. I just don't understand why it works for some and not for others. she didn't break out terribly but it was and is enough that she needs makeup and all that. i only remember her being clear for a week. she could never clear long enough for the marks to fade even. it's gradually getting to the point of constant breakouts again which is why she's back on her bactrim. in january when she's been off for a year she'll probably get some chemical peels again. she can still make herself look pretty good with makeup but who needs that? she breaks out in different places now like under her chin and jaw and around her ears and hairline. it's wierd. also one side stays worse than the other and that's the same side that was worse during treatment.

did the 15 yo girl scar after her first treatment or was it more noticeable in her second? i'm probably not going anywhere for a while so I will keep you posted. i do think she needs accutane again but she's approaching 18 and that is totally up to her. I appreciate your support and input so much. Yes, it's hard to have a child go through this. I even went to therapy... Didn't help :wall:

Yeah prednisone shouldnt be taken for long term boston... it like has its side effects however... if used properly its fine. Yeah pred can cause bad acne if u come off it quickly hence why i had to come off slowly.

Yeah i would recommend chatting to your derm... but i would recommend tane, and ask for a lower dosage start than what u had before!

Goodluck Boston!

Hi Boston,

Yes she did scar after the second breakout. She took the accutane for 9 months and I would say she was clear during the accutane for about three months and then after, about 9 months. All of a sudden, breaking out like crazy. I didn't tell you but she was awfully young (14) and had had very bad backne and even on her legs and chest the first time. That cleared quickly and I saw her after her first time on accutane, she looked great. But then nine months later, her mom said she broke out badly. She has been on the accutane since May. The derm did the pills and topicals for two months but said she needed the accutane again due to scarring. I saw her mom yesterday and she told me that she is still taking it. She has no more breakouts but the derm is keeping her on it for a few more months just to make sure. She is hopeful that this will be it. Her daughter is very upset but wants it to be GONE! Are you going to the same derm from the last time? Also refresh my memory - how long did she take the accutane and what was her dosage? My son took 80 mg the whole entire time (7 mos) and my friend's daughter took 80 mg the entire time (9 mos). So I guess its just luck of the draw. Again, my son's skin is not perfect, but is very good. Thank god cause I dont think he would be able to take the stress of it again. Honestly, I do still worry about the side effects. My son never did grow anymore and I wonder if it was from the accutane. Also I do worry about the depression side effect cause he changed since he had been on it. Just sometimes I notice that he is not the same but then I think its just teen bullshit. Who knows? I do know that if he was in that same state of breakout, we wouldn't hesitate to take it again cause the positives far outweight the negatives. I hope all works out for you and your daughter - yes it is very very stressful.

Hi there, nycdee and craigems. My daugther was on 40 mgs for 1 month and then 80 mgs for the remaining 5. She will never go back to that derm cause she did not like him. If I had known that in the beginning I probably would have sent her somewhere else just for the sake of continuity.

Craig - I think I will have a little chat with the derm. It will make me feel better anyway. I hope he doesn't think I'm a freaky mommy. It's just that I know my daughter mostly just nods her head when she goes and can't wait to get out of there. She hates docs in general.

Meanwhile, thank goodness, she travels and never misses an event. Her attitude is more than terrific. It just makes me love her more. It's really not horrible or anything - she's just never ever clear anymore and I know that it could be better and I want that for her.

thank you for your support