Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ldanielle

My doctor told me today...

Guest ldanielle

I have basically no active acne now, very pale skin and a few marks which aren't really TOO dark but show up because of the paleness of my skin.

Anyway, I went to the doctor's today to see if he could give me anything for them. I also asked him if they would go away. He looked at my face and said there is a chance I could have 'residual scarring'. None of the marks are indented/raised in any way at all.

He just gave me a prescription for some 0.05% strength Isotretinion (Isotrex), saying it may help to flake off some layers and it might get rid of them (I do have no intention to start using this just yet however, if you've seen my threads on GA peels I'm doing), and sort of said I had a good chance seeing as I'm only 17. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I don't think he sounded too confident about it.

So... I guess this does mean that red marks can be permanent? confused.gif

Guest ldanielle

but there must be some sort of laser thingy professional clinic treatment you can get to get rid of them...?

Fuck me if anyone thinks I'm having shit like this on my face for the rest of my life.

Guest ldanielle

yeah the Retin-A was crap for me too. It went like this -

mild acne

used the Retin-A from doctor - breakouts all over

stopped Retin-A, started the Regimen

Regimen - got rid of all spots, but left a shitload of redness and a mark for EVERY SPOT

and here I am trying to get rid of the redness and red marks.

Probably would've been better off if I'd have just left it in the first place and let them go on their own.

Guest ldanielle

not literally a plastic surgeon though, or a surgeon at all for that matter. I'm hoping to go to a private clinic soon and get whatever it takes done to sort my face out, lasers, real peels, microdermabrasion or anything more serious whatever they say will rid me of this. Because I am sick of all the crap mentioned on this boards. NOTHING works. And it would seem that NOTHING really works all that well for anyone else, no matter what they say, or there would at least be ONE SET of before and after pics on results with red mark treatments on these boards...

Ive had my marks for like 5 years.

So yes I think they are "permanent" in the sense they wont go away by themselves.

However, of course there is something out there to get rid of them permanently. You just have to find what works for you.

Im trying to get a dermatoligist appointment for me sometime very soon.

the power of retinoids is AMAZING! get tazorac cream (gel is too irritating) and it takes a LONG TIME, but it is so worth it! i promise you...worst case scenario even if it took a year or 8 months, retinoids are so good for your skin long-term, they prevent wrinkles, get rid of wrinkles, and reverse photodamage! i promise you if you start using tazorac in at least 4 months you would see improvement! yes it takes awhile, ive only been using for 3 weeks, but when you look back on it you will be so happy!

the power of retinoids is AMAZING! get tazorac cream (gel is too irritating) and it takes a LONG TIME, but it is so worth it! i promise you...worst case scenario even if it took a year or 8 months, retinoids are so good for your skin long-term, they prevent wrinkles, get rid of wrinkles, and reverse photodamage! i promise you if you start using tazorac in at least 4 months you would see improvement! yes it takes awhile, ive only been using for 3 weeks, but when you look back on it you will be so happy!

Guest ldanielle
you say it takes a long time yet you've only been using it 3 weeks. have YOU seen any change.  How do you know it actually works if youve only been on it 3 weeks.

Did you take any before photos??

try the V-beam.. i've had 4 treatments, there are improvements! 2 weeks interval per treatment, i think by now I see atleast 50% improvement, and i aint playin.. hopin it'll get even better within 1 month or two. I've had deep red scars by the way, as im recoverin from severe acne which fucked me over this summer .. lol anyways stay up.

I thought that exposure to sun is good for your skin and will help cells turn over quicker.

No sun is not good for any sort of brown or red marks on your skin.

And what I find weird is NO ONE here has any before or after pictures. Maybe 3 people.

I'm thinking- if Im going to go on some treatment after years of horrible skin wtf wouldn't i take a BEFORE PHOTO?? hello!!!!!!!! I mean, even if you didn't take a before photo because you doubed the product would work- surely some here must have a photo of themself with bad skin somewhere. Then can post up the improvement. But does anyone do that? no.

Well, I am looking into treatments right now and i struggle with permanent brown marks. I will post before photos and log in the respected thread for that, and while I am going thru the treatment i will post pictures of progress, or lack thereof.

hopefully people with red/brown marks can benefit.

I have basically no active acne now, very pale skin and a few marks which aren't really TOO dark but show up because of the paleness of my skin.

Anyway, I went to the doctor's today to see if he could give me anything for them. I also asked him if they would go away. He looked at my face and said there is a chance I could have 'residual scarring'. None of the marks are indented/raised in any way at all.

He just gave me a prescription for some 0.05% strength Isotretinion (Isotrex), saying it may help to flake off some layers and it might get rid of them (I do have no intention to start using this just yet however, if you've seen my threads on GA peels I'm doing), and sort of said I had a good chance seeing as I'm only 17. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I don't think he sounded too confident about it.

So... I guess this does mean that red marks can be permanent?  confused.gif

So... I guess this does mean that red marks can be permanent?  confused.gif

I read in one of the messages that one guy had it for 5 years.. Well let me make it clear for u , it doesnt mean u will have red marks for 5 years too , he has different skin then yours , maybe u should try something to fasten up the healing process u never know what will work for you, and what doesnt work for others doesnt mean that it will not work for u it might work for you... so dont lose hope, but it does fade away, it takes time though...i still got some but i keep light shave , so it hides red marks...

Hey I have had RedMarks too , but it got all clear , it does takes some times , mine took around 1 yar 2-3 months , you have to heal it , i would recommend you , Rose Hip Oil give it a try , u wont be disappointed , give it atleast 3 months , i had redmarks it got all clearn , recently i break out soooooo badly , that i got red marks again all over , im tryng the same old way again.. but if nothing works i will sure go for Laser Treatment , i dont wanna live with these redmarks my whole life , but again they fade away , although it takes time , but u can speed up the process by Drinking lots of Green Tea , lots of Mineral Water and taking MSM ...

Here read this i got it from FAQ on this site

How do I get rid of the red marks left after the blemish goes away?

A: Here is a quote from the American Academy of Dermatology and Roche Laboratories:

"A red mark on the skin called an erythematous macule will fade in four to six months after an acne outbreak - but it may get temporarily redder when your skin gets hot or when you exercise. This red macule is not a scar, and is not permanent. In a dark skinned person, the macule may appear as a darker patch on the skin. This is not a scar, either."

Q: Are red/brown/purple marks scars?

No. Red marks left on the site of old acne lesions are usually temporary (see picture below). Red marks are simply a normal remnant of the skin’s inflammatory process - Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH). Pigmented areas will fade unassisted, though they can take up to 2 years to disappear.

Before talking about scars, a word about spots that may look like scars but are not scars in the sense that a permanent change has occurred. Even though they are not true scars and disappear in time, they are visible and can cause embarrassment.

Macules or "pseudo-scars" are flat, red or reddish spots that are the final stage of most inflamed acne lesions. After an inflamed acne lesion flattens, a macule may remain to "mark the spot" for up to 6 months. When the macule eventually disappears, no trace of it will remainâ€â€unlike a scar.

Post-inflammatory pigmentation is discoloration of the skin at the site of a healed or healing inflamed acne lesion. It occurs more frequently in darker-skinned people, but occasionally is seen in people with white skin. Early treatment by a dermatologist may minimize the development of post-inflammatory pigmentation. Some post-inflammatory pigmentation may persist for up to 18 months, especially with excessive sun exposure. Chemical peeling may hasten the disappearance of post-inflammatory pigmentation.

Infact its better u refer to this post

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=35143

I read in one of the messages that one guy had it for 5 years.. Well let me make it clear for u , it doesnt mean u will have red marks for 5 years too , he has different skin then yours , maybe u should try something to fasten up the healing process u never know what will work for you, and what doesnt work for others doesnt mean that it will not work for u it might work for you... so dont lose hope, but it does fade away, it takes time though...i still got some but i keep light shave , so it hides red marks...

Ive had my marks since january and they are fading slowly. The best cure is time!! Even if they have been there for a year or so dont fret they will dissapear!

red 'scars' arent permanent, i had a big one aroud my nose from who knows what and after a while its starting to clear out and some part is back to tan

it wont be permanent, u just gotta play the waiting game

Q: Are red/brown/purple marks scars?

No. Red marks left on the site of old acne lesions are usually temporary (see picture below). Red marks are simply a normal remnant of the skin’s inflammatory process - Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH). Pigmented areas will fade unassisted, though they can take up to 2 years to disappear.

red 'scars' arent permanent, i had a big one aroud my nose from who knows what and after a while its starting to clear out and some part is back to tan

it wont be permanent, u just gotta play the waiting game

Red marks either fade in a few months or a few years. They're almost never completely permanent. The fact that the area is flat is a good sign.

I had a red mark on the back of leg from poorly fitting ice skates I rented. It was there for years, but it's gone now.

The only time they would be permanent is if there's been some blood vessel damage, then the blood vessels can reroute and leave you with obvious blood vessels near the surface.

You need to make sure you're not deficient in anything in your diet though; that speeds healing better than anything. Certain things like zinc, you need to make sure you're not deficient in that.

In the meantime, coverup makeup is a good idea or foundation.