Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Off to see Dr Chu!! (subcision, N-lite, Isolagen)

Some of you know I am off to see Dr Chu tomorrow at 12 Noon for N-lite and Subcision. He's also going to be taking a skin graft so that he can start the Isolagen process with me....

I just want (need) this to work - I know I got a good discount, but £1,500 is soooo much money to me.

To date, I have had 2 needling sessions which improved my scars by around 30% I'd say - but I feel that my scars need to be broken from underneath now... how many peels have I had???? A lot! he he - my skin is pretty damn smooth apart from these craters all over my cheeks and forehead...

Please God or whoever is out there... please let this be the real solution for me. [-o<

By the way, I bought some Arnica and Bromelin tablets today which is supposed to help heal bruising faster.. we'll see. Also bought Clinique complete cover foundation (which I won't use until day 3) which is supposed to be able to hide bruising.

I'll be thinking about you at 12 tomorrow! :D

getting really excited to see your results!!

are you gonna set up a before/after web page like tamara did?

good luck again! :D

--CS

Maya,

Sending you positive affirming and healing thoughts for tomorrow. You will be in good hands!

Hugs,

Anna

Maya,

I am wishing you the best of luck. I am sure you're extremely excited, yet nervous at the same time. But with all the positive feedback about subcision/needling, I am sure you'll be pleased with your results. This is a huge stepping stone for all of us. (( hugs ))

Hey!!!! Thanks everyone!! It feels so good to know that you're all routing for me. Will try and post the details of what happens tomorrow when I get back. :D

And thank you for the prayers, that means a lot. :D/

To tell you all the truth, I'm a little anxious about Maya's procedures, and I hope to God that they work out because Maya is having the best procedures available performed on her, and if these don't work, then I feel that nothing will #-o So, if these don't work on Maya, then it would certanly bring my hopes of ever healing my scars waaaay down. But then again, it could be a rip-roaring sucess (and I hope it it). So Maya, I hope for all of use that it works!

remeber some things work for some people and not others, obviously it would be nice to see maya do well, but if she dosnt, it doesnt mean it wont work for you and vise versa.

maya: so, how did it go?

--CS

OK Guys - here's what happened.

It took me around 2.5 hours to get to Hammersmith Hospital .. no one at the dermatology reception desk could find my file (this is the NHS!!) and could not see my appointment scheduled for today! I spent a good 30 minutes calmly explaining what had been agreed ..(between Dr Chu, his secretary and myself over the phone and via emails) but I wasn't getting anywhere.... Really, I was getting very close to tears ... then I insisted that one of the nurses phoned through to Dr Chu's office to check with him which they grudgingly did.. and lo and behold!!! I was in his diary and rushed in to see him. :D

Dr Chu was very pleasant, he took a good look at my scars and said that I had a combination of boxscars and Ice picks .. that all the skin surrounding my scars was fine..

He said the following:

1. Subcision will not help with ice picks, (ice picks must be punched excised) but quite good for either rolling scars or boxscars. If subcision is performed on ice picks, it tends to block off oxygen(?) on the ice picks and an abcess normally follows which creates a cyst and therefore more scarring.

2. I was not a suitable candidate for Isolagen at present because Isolagen is not useful for deep pits, only useful for shallow scarring/rough skin/wrinkles/large pores etc .. he said to save my money (nice guy) and consider it at a further date if I wasn't happy with the other procedures he would perform on me.

3. That N-lite was good at killing acne, but not a guarantee. N-Lite only helps normal pimples.. but does not work on cystic acne.

4. No one can have subcision if they have active acne since it would create an enormous infection leading to a big break out.

First thing that happened today was:

1. N-Lite - just a light pass (setting at 2.7 I think) which took no longer than 5 minutes .. only for around 2 seconds did I feel a stinging sensation. Totally painless really and no redness. I asked the derm if more passes would improve the skin but she said that they had experimented with this and a light pass was as effective as several passes at the same time.

2. Another derm took a couple of photos (just for their records) and put some silicon gel on my cheeks to make a plaster-cast model of my scars (so that they can measure the improvements in the future) - it only took around 1 minute for the gel to set before it was removed.

3. Dr Chu then performed subcison on around one third of my scars (most of the boxscars) - first, he injected me with anesthetic in around 10 different places on my face (this really hurt, I had tears in my eyes), then he subcised the boxcars which took around 10/15 minutes ... a nurse was present all the time, and would hold a swab to my face quite tightly where the subcision had taken place (Dr Chu said this was to help limit swelling and stop the blood flow) - it took a good 10 minutes for the bleeding to stop.

4. Dr Chu injected one exsisting cyst with cortison (I think) to kill it.

(All the above 4 took nearly 2 hours with lots of hanging around in between.)

Dr Chu said he wants to see me again in around 4 weeks and will get an appointment sent out to me for late July/early August so that he can 1. do more subcision, 2. perform punch excision on the ice picks.

The reason why he did not do the punch excision today was because they had run out of the punch tools which have been on order from the States for over a month.

About the punch excision, he said that the scar would be punched out, and one stitch would be put in place. This would leave a hairline scar which would replace the ice pick hole. 5 days after, the stitches need to be removed. He said a lot of swelling usually takes place.

Dr Chu then wrote me a prescription for 4 weeks worth of antibiotics (Clindamycin) which I need to take 3 times a day.

How did I look after the subcision? Swollen!!! My cheeks and forehead puffed right out and i could feel it being lumpy. (A kind of mild elephant man look) It's now around 7 hours after the procedure and the swelling has come down a lot - there are a few red marks where the needles went in but nothing much. My face is still slightly swollen and feels bruised. I am waiting to see if bruises (which is what Dr Chu said is likely to happen) appear on my face.

Dr Chu did not recommend any after care, but I am slathering my face with Copper Peptides and Emu Oil.

Also, I am taking herbal supplements of Arnica and Bromelin which are supposed to help with bruising and swelling (along with all my normal vits)

About Isolagen - It seems to now be at the stage where people are starting to have injections, I spoke with one of the nurses and she said that people have been pleased so far.

Dr Chu said that once the lab has the Isolagen ready, there is only a 1 week leeway for getting the injections started, that if there was a delay, Isolagen labs would charge amazing amounts of money to store the fibroblasts - that Hammermith hospital don't have the sterile facilites to do that.

That's it!! Report done (will also post this on the Isolagen UK thread)

To tell you all the truth, I'm a little anxious about Maya's procedures, and I hope to God that they work out because Maya is having the best procedures available performed on her, and if these don't work, then I feel that nothing will  #-o So, if these don't work on Maya, then it would certanly bring my hopes of ever healing my scars waaaay down. But then again, it could be a rip-roaring sucess (and I hope it it). So Maya, I hope for all of use that it works!

For some reason, different people respond to the same methods in a different way. If you've kept up with the needling and vinegar threads, you'll see there are highs and lows.

Maya,

Thanks for the report...

Is he planning on doing punch excision on ALL of your pits?

Have you considered doing the CROSS method on the pits that aren't suitable for isolagen? I wonder if he does CROSS - maybe you should run that by him??

He sounds like a great doctor, best of luck.

hello50 - no, he did not suggest N-Lite for scarring - I guess mine are too deep for n-lite to be trully effective.

Poohman - no, he doesn't offer TCA, he said he would do the punch excision only on the picks (and the boxscars that don't respond to subcision.) Yes, I do feel in safe hands.

I think I will go with Dr Chu's methods for the next 4 months, with the occassional home lactic peel at home .. if the pits/picks don't fill in as anticipated, I think I will attempt the TCA type method using 70% glycolic - as that's easy to get hold of.

I'm excited for you Maya, let's just hope after all this it works for you. :D/

Thanks for your account about your experince. It really helps to read about others experinces.

thanks for the post!, it sounds like you have very similar scarring to me!

shame ur not suitable for isolagen, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing! I'm really happy its all happening for you and I really hope it works well.

are you taking pictures?

--CS