Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
inthezone

Accutane in not that hard to get

hi everyone,

went to see a brand-new derm today after having not seen one in a couple of years. i explained to her my situation and told her i had tried everything else (prescription and OTC) and she had no problem giving me the Accutane. my acne is not severe (mostly oil is my problem), but i just need to put it behind me and move on with my life.

had the blood test today so i should be starting my 40mg/day on Monday. smile.gif already made a follow-up appointment in a month.

a tip: the pharmacy and insurance tried to give me the generic, so if you want the brand-name Accutane make sure your doctor tells them no substitution.

so for those of you who don't have serious acne, it doesn't hurt to try and ask for Accutane. i wish i had done it sooner.

so for those of you who don't have serious acne, it doesn't hurt to try and ask for Accutane. i wish i had done it sooner.

when i say i don't have serious acne, i mean that i do not normally have large cysts. i do have problems with whiteheads, blackheads, and nodules. but in my opinion, i feel my acne has recently become out of control, as i have had the worst breakouts of my life. i did thorough research and carefully considered the pros and cons of Accutane. keep in mind, i had already tried virtually all prescription topical treatments and oral antibiotics as well. i am so looking forward to clear skin and am ready to put skin problems behind me.

Guest pokerbugg
I dissagree. Too many times have i seen on countless boards, and even this one, pictures of people before taking accutane, and what i see is very mild acne... i canot stress enough that accutane is for serious acne, and most of the people taking it have VERY light acne and are just too self-concious of themselves, or look at themselves too much in the miror and shun themselves for having a few dots...

I would love to kill the derms in these situations...

Hi In the Zone,

Its interesting that you have been prescribed accutane for mild acne, in particular oil problems. Can you give us more details?

I too suffer from excessive oiliness of my nose (rest of my T-Zone is pretty oily too but this doesn't bother me so much) which has resulted in a large number of open comedones (blackheads) in that area. How does this compare to your problem?

I have taken accutane in the past in a short course to help deal with my oil problems but I have to warn you that from the majority of experiences on this site and my own experience, your oil level will be almost zero duing the accutane, but will quickly go back to normal oiliness levels after the accutane, as will any comedonal acne such as blackheads or whiteheads. Inflamtorry acne and the more serious stuff is usually greatly imporved after accutane.

What do you think of this?

Guest pokerbugg

please, you need to relax eusa_hand.gif

thats probably why you keep breaking out , youre so tense, so heated .... anyway, if the derm prescribes it then im sure their doing all the lab work thats required so im sure that person with mild acne will be fine ....and if the person isnt going through their lab work as the law states then THEY are the ignorant and shouldnt be asking for accutane ... accutane will rid the mild acne sufferer for sure so i dont see the problem as long as everything is getting checked out, kay?! cool.gif

I agree COMPLETELY with Mezzano. Doctors should NOT prescribe for mild conditions...

i go to my derm. i'm mild and some days they wonder why i come sometimes (othertimes i get inflamed and then they are okay with me coming down for a few injections)

I have a lot of self image issues. thats 100% true. and i would be horrified if i went on accutane and then had worse issues.

When i was a kid, i was self concious. my doctor put me on erythromycin for acne for 1 year (BAD move) i'm now immune. I also have chronic bronchitis. guess what is the #1 drug to treat bronchitis? thats right. erythromycin..but because i can't take it anymore i get pneumonia.

so bassically what Mezzano is saying is that they're taking others concern to heart. Over prescribing is not always the option..especially when its such a serious med...and like any antibiotic or otherwise it IS serious.

There are some sad tales right here on the boards of people who've gone it it just because of something mild and ended up with something far worse.

take for what is given. thats something to live by.

My skin is very oily, not only on my face but on my scalp and body as well. But I do also suffer from nodular acne, a few spots at a time. If the Accutane got rid of these breakouts and the oil returned, I would be perfectly content - it's easier to get rid of that than large pimples. My face is never COMPLETELY covered in pimples, but it's bad enough for me to want to go on Accutane. My dermatologist is extremely professional and I have already received the lab work. I just don't think people should think their acne needs to be VERY severe to get Accutane, it is prescribed for lesser cases - especially in my case since I have tried everything else to no avail. It is a last resort according to my dermatologist and I agree with that.

I think you should get accutane if you want and are fed up with it, as I am sure you know what the drug does, etc. And yes accutane brings your oil production everywhere to nonexistance while on the pill, and for some time after, yet then your oil will return. The only way accutane can totally reduce your oil forever is if you take it long term as a low dosage, which I do not know which doctor would do that just for oil. I am sure there are some.

getting accutane really depends on the derm. i heard people on here say theirs wouldnt let them use it. and mine would have given it to me with clear skin.

I think its fine to have accutane prescribed for mild acne if you have accompanying psychological issues because of it (dysmorphobia etc)

But expecting it to permanently reduce your oil output is optimistic, it did no such thing for me!

Okay, I tend to disagree with some of these replies. Its not up to us saying the derm is wrong with perscribing this drug. It doesnt matter if the person has mild acne, anymore. Its got to do with persistance, if a person has persistant acne which is un-responsive to other treatments then that person is eligible for accutane.

Accutane is a serious drug, however peoples history of the disease is more the case in these situations rather than what you or i see. Accutane is monitored by professional derms which are qualified in perscribing the drug to patients therefore we cannot assume that person shouldnt be on the drug. Mezzano, I agree somewhat that some people are in situations where you and i think they should not have accutane from "judging the book by its cover" however without the history of the condition we cannot say we know better.

Accutane isnt perscribed for severe cystic acne anymore, its perscribed for unresponsive acne which also can potentially cause scarring.

Craigems.

i'm on 40mg a day also

it's my 2nd course hehe

but yeah i'm glad your doc gave it to you!!! in a month you'll see a huge improvment! ur skin won't be shiny at all and if u wear make up it's going to look really nice without all that oil.

I dissagree. Too many times have i seen on countless boards, and even this one, pictures of people before taking accutane, and what i see is very mild acne... i canot stress enough that accutane is for serious acne, and most of the people taking it have VERY light acne and are just too self-concious of themselves, or look at themselves too much in the miror and shun themselves for having a few dots...

I would love to kill the derms in these situations...

However i dont know the condition or status of your acne, so this is just a general statement i am making, which is not aimed directly to you, but im sure you will see what i am saying once you read through the forum more...

You do know that accutane will most likely stop your oilness only for the duration of the treatment ? It will probably be back as soon as accutane is out of your body...

Okay, I tend to disagree with some of these replies. Its not up to us saying the derm is wrong with perscribing this drug. It doesnt matter if the person has mild acne, anymore. Its got to do with persistance, if a person has persistant acne which is un-responsive to other treatments then that person is eligible for accutane.

Accutane is a serious drug, however peoples history of the disease is more the case in these situations rather than what you or i see. Accutane is monitored by professional derms which are qualified in perscribing the drug to patients therefore we cannot assume that person shouldnt be on the drug.  Mezzano, I agree somewhat that some people are in situations where you and i think they should not have accutane from "judging the book by its cover" however without the history of the condition we cannot say we know better.

Accutane isnt perscribed for severe cystic acne anymore, its perscribed for unresponsive acne which also can potentially cause scarring.

Craigems.

I don't know why people have a problem with dermatolgists prescribing accutane for mild acne. Derms are as much in the dark with how to treat acne as we are -- it's trial and error for them just as much as it is for us.

Everything else, barring accutane, is a temporary solution and will never keep someone 100% clear.