Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sassy561

FINACEa/RETIN-A INITIAL BREAKOUT

I am 27 yrs old and have had acne since I was 12 yrs old. I would get little zits here and there but my main issue was cysts. It was never considered severe enough for Accutane , as I would only have one cyst going at any give time, I was never like covered in them. I have been using proactiv solution for many years and it worked very well at keeping my acne under control. It wasn't perfect, but I was satisifed. A couple of months ago, I went to see my dermatologist becasue I have some mild scarring and uneven coloring. She wanted to precribe somthing that would help with the coloring, while keeping the acne under control. She prescribed me with Finacea gel (Azelaic Acid) and Retin-A Micro .1% for the evening to rebuild collegen, etc for the mild scarring. She also gave me some 20% glycolic at home peel pads to use weekly. I am a month into this and I have had multiple cysts on my face since starting. I realize that this is the initial breakout period, but now I am seriously considering scrapping this and going back to proactiv.

My acne was under control with Proactiv, which was most important, because new cysts equal possible new scarring. I feel like I can't leave the house. I don't even want my boyfriend (who I live with) looking at me. I know that if I'm patient, this may all subside in a little more time, but cysts can stick around for a while...I don't know if I can make it. I think my first priority with my skin is keeping it clear of acne. What would you do?

Give it two more weeks. At week six, you should see a huge improvement and no more breakouts. I know what you're going through because I went through the same thing myself when I was first on Retin-A. That stuff cleans your skin out, hard-core, and it certainly isn't pretty at first.

Just keep at it for two more weeks. You should definitely be much better by then.

I agree keep using it, if the break-outs don't let up, then just use procativ and the peels. My skin would be screaming after tretinoin+azelaic acid+glycolic acid peels. It should start improving, maybe don't use the peels for these two weeks. That is my suggestion.