Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cruella22

How much protein does a girl need?

I am 5'4 and 120 lbs. I want to know, how much protein should I have to lose weight? I have been drinking protein shakes that have 42 grams in each. Is that too much? I don't excercise by the way because I have a knee problem but lose weight easily without it.

I am 5'4 and 120 lbs. I want to know, how much protein should I have to lose weight? I have been drinking protein shakes that have 42 grams in each. Is that too much? I don't excercise by the way because I have a knee problem but lose weight easily without it.

if you want to lose weight don't worry about protein...worry about calories...

start counting how many you take in to maintin your current weight...

when you figure out that number lower it by 500 a day

edit you can still exercise with knee probs...

use free weights ( you wont look like a man) by working your muscle they need ALOT of calories to rebuild

use free weights ( you wont look like a man) by working your muscle they need ALOT of calories to rebuild

You should not reduce your overall protein intake much if any when you go on a diet.

(You should try to eat the right amount of protein whether you are on a diet or not, appropriate for your build and weight.)

If you want to lose weight, don't eat more than 30 gms of carbs in a three hour period and balance every 15 gms of carbs with 7 gms of protein.

It's a concept from the Insulin Resistance Diet book and it works.

I heard somewhere that the amount of protein you should comsume should be the same amount of grams as your lean body weight...

Meaning if your lean body weight is 120, then you should consume 120g of protein a day. Same goes for carbs. biggrin.gif

The range of optimum protein intake is 0.8-1.2 grams of protein per kilogram (1 kg = 2.2 lbs) considering your optimum weight.

A person who doesn't exercise too much and who isn't very active should optimally consume 0.8 gr of protein/kg. A person who is very active - and especially endurance training athletes - should consume 1.2 gr/kg.

Both too little and too much protein can be bad. Also, be careful what is the source of protein. Try to stay away from whey and soy isolate. The best sources are food sources and rice protein.

As for loosing weight, the best way is dovetailing physical activity with good nutrition. For nutrition, count calories and the quality of foods (some foods like green tea, nuts, so on have been shown to assist in loosing weight).

As for exercise, try doing low-impact sports (swimming is one of them) and weight training. It also depends if your knee condition is temporary or not.

Guest Mr K

Ummm. Protein doesn't make you lose weight although it does help suppress you appetite.

42 grams is almost your entirely daily requirement... It's a LOT.

You should probably have 20 gram three times a day or so. Maybe less.

If a girl weights 120 lbs, that would be 54.5 kg. A 54.5 kg inactive person needs 44 grams of protein per day. If she's very active, she would need 66 gr of protein. So, the range for her would be 44-66 grams of protein daily. Anything more or less than this will simply cause calcium loss and other unfavorable processes.

Whey is made from milk, but in whey you have all the bad stuff from milk in even a more concentrated pack. Additionally, if you have bad acne, it isn't wise to consume too much - or at all - milk or dairy products.

Whey is made from milk, but in whey you have all the bad stuff from milk in even a more concentrated pack. Additionally, if you have bad acne, it isn't wise to consume too much - or at all - milk or dairy products.

When you say you want to lose weight you are meaning you are trying to lose fat right? There's always seems to be this misconception about the two. I try to base things off of body fat instead of how much I weigh. My opinion has been the more protein the better, but it is best to go for the recommended amount in proportion to your body and activity, as suggested by previous posters.