Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
falnhart

Dermabrasion: Helps Induce New Collagen, But......

I wonder if there's any sure way of knowing whether a scar has resulted from collagen degradation, fat depletion, or a combination thereof? If you continue having dermabrasion, the collagen will at some point grow to your pre-scarred state. What if there's fat loss, does this mean the scar will still be there? AND, how would one know where to inject a filler, dermis or subcutaneously (fatty layer)?? Only if there were an x-ray of some sort to identify defections in the skin for appropriate and predictable treatment!!

I wonder if there's any sure way of knowing whether a scar has resulted from collagen degradation, fat depletion, or a combination thereof?  If you continue having dermabrasion, the collagen will at some point grow to your pre-scarred state.  What if there's fat loss, does this mean the scar will still be there?  AND, how would one know where to inject a filler, dermis or subcutaneously (fatty layer)??  Only if there were an x-ray of some sort to identify defections in the skin for appropriate and predictable treatment!!

If you clearly read it, you'd see that I stated "whether a scar has R-E-S-U-L-T-E-D from." Acne CAN AND DOES, cause fat loss, leading to depressed tissue, hence a SCAR.

If you clearly read it, you'd see that I stated "whether a scar has R-E-S-U-L-T-E-D from."  Acne CAN AND DOES, cause fat loss, leading to depressed tissue, hence a SCAR.

I'm not a doctor, but common sense would dictate that cystic acne would cause fat loss. Some people that you see with acne scarring that appear to have facial wasting, that's because the fat has degraded from the trauma induced upon it by cystic acne. I knew this, but have confirmed it with top notch docs. and research.

The Subcutaneous layer lies below the dermis.

It is made up of loose connective tissue, fat and collagen cells.

If the scarring is deep/severe to reach the subcutaneous layer there will definitely be fat atrophy.

I think can tell this by the severity of your scaring.

You are right, you can induce collagen to a certain point but if fat was lost, there will be a need for a filler.

Most filler manufacturers specify how deep it should be injected.

This is the reason I think fat is the ideal filler as you are essentially replacing what was lost there in the first place. And with fat it is placed in all the skin layer to beef up the tissue.

Only if there were an x-ray of some sort to identify defections in the skin for appropriate and predictable treatment!!

Hey falnhart,

I remembered you were asking about this. My mother just had an MRI, and I read in a medical journal that an MRI of the face can be performed to see if there is any fat/subcutaneous loss.

If you have insurance and a good doctor you can ask for a referral of an MRI, you can say you are experiencing severe head pain or something else.

some people just have fat loss in their face naturally though for whatever reason like the dude in Spiderman that was the Green Goblin cant think of his name, but his face would look terrible with scars. I just think that with acne scarring the loss of fat looks worse, not really caused from the scars. Also the way the scars are presented can give one the impression that they are really deep into the face when really they are not. This is why most people attend to their scars when they age because their skin loosens and makes them look worse.