Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest iconoclaste

What's the deal with oil

A lot of pple are scared about mineral oil in products. but if u read paula begoun's blerb on it, it's actually a very good ingredient for retaining moisture. here's the link:http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=47

i have recently discovered that my concealer contained mineral oil. but was really surprised that it never once caused clogged pores or wutever. i use nivea creme, which is soooooo packed with vaseline and mineral oil, on my body. it makes my legs absolutely silky, no cracked and flaky skin anymore, not even during the canadian winters. it's just a hype.

same as you, i don't trust things i don't understand, esp. if it appears on the ingredients list of something i'm using on my face. that's why i'm switching to natural and organic stuff.

I've been working in product formulation for the past few years. I pretty much just formulate face makeup now, but I have worked on pretty much any kind of makeup formulation, as well as skincare.

Oils in cosmetics have a similar stigma to carbs and fats in food. The term is used to define and animal, vegetable or mineral oil. Just because something is an oil, doesn't mean it will clog pores. And there are many ingredients that aren't considered oils, that are highly comedogenic. It is true that some oils are highly comedogenic, but there are others that aren't, and can be very beneficial to the skin (especially those rich in linolenic and linoleic acid). Natural sebum is basically an oil. It's a complex blend of unsaturated fatty acids (what most oils are made of). This is a pretty good chart rating the comedogenicity of common skincare and cosmetics ingredients.

http://www.clearcomplexions.com/rateyour.htm

Surprise, Surprise....mineral oil and petrolatum aren't comedogenic at all, but us formulators stay away from them like they're poison, because the industry has brainwashed all the consumers to avoid anything that contains oil......It's just a way to sell products really.....

Just as some carbs and fats are bad in food, some oils are bad in skincare products. The "Oil Free" claim appears on so many products. Any makeup we make usually has that claim, but you'd be surprised that the chemicals used to replace the oils, are sometimes just as bad as the oils they replace. The cosmetics industry is great at tricking consumers, the same was

same way the "low carb" claim is just a way to sell food.......it's kinda sad really......

Thanks for the info and the link LabGirl81. What is your take on Mica? I've heard ppl on these boards say it can clog pores but I can't find any sources (that aren't selling something) to back that up (and Paula B finds no fault with it, and there isn't a lot she doesn't complain aboug) , but since you do makeup maybe you could help? TIA!

Yea I know the charts say that mineral oil and petrolatum are not bad, but every time I have used products with those ingredients my skin broke out seriuosly bad.

I've been working in product formulation for the past few years.  I pretty much just formulate face makeup now, but I have worked on pretty much any kind of makeup formulation, as well as skincare. 

Oils in cosmetics have a similar stigma to carbs and fats in food. The term is used to define and animal, vegetable or mineral oil.  Just because something is an oil, doesn't mean it will clog pores. And there are many ingredients that aren't considered oils, that are highly comedogenic. It is true that some oils are highly comedogenic,  but there are others that aren't, and can be very beneficial to the skin (especially those rich in linolenic and linoleic acid). Natural sebum is basically an oil.  It's a complex blend of unsaturated fatty acids (what most oils are made of).  This is a pretty good chart rating the comedogenicity of common skincare and cosmetics ingredients. 

http://www.clearcomplexions.com/rateyour.htm

Surprise, Surprise....mineral oil and petrolatum aren't comedogenic at all, but us formulators stay away from them like they're poison, because the industry has brainwashed all the consumers to avoid anything that contains oil......It's just a way to sell products really.....

Just as some carbs and fats are bad in food, some oils are bad in skincare products. The "Oil Free" claim appears on so many products.  Any makeup we make usually has that claim, but you'd be surprised that the chemicals used to replace the oils, are sometimes just as bad as the oils they replace.  The cosmetics industry is great at tricking consumers, the same was

same way the "low carb" claim is just a way to sell food.......it's kinda sad really......