Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
simplykim

Gram-Negative Folliculitis & Cystic Acne

I'm 25 & developed cystic acne when I was 20. I've been on Erythromycin (500mg 2x day) for 5 years and it has stopped working. In retrospect, it probably stopped working a year or so ago, but I was in denial. redface.gif Anyway, for the past 6 months or so, my cystic acne has exploded by epidemic proportions. It's never been this bad.

I've been reading up on Gram-Negative Folliculitis and it sounds like it what I'm going through. http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic834.htm I wish my derm told me that treating my acne with antibiotics could possibly make my acne worse. sad.gif Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about this subject? I'm still a little confused about what GNF is. Is it just a stubborn acne, like a super-acne? Will a derm diagnose this? I would love to know what treatment options I have available... Accutane, blue/red lights, dietary changes - anything!

Thanks so much. smile.gif

Kim

I think (although I could be wrong) that BP only reduced gram positive bacteria, so something like H202 would be more useful to you. Hibiclens might also be a good option. Anyway, short of applying straight peroxide to your face, the only product I know of which has peroxide as it's main acne-fighter is Philosophy's On a Clear Day H2O2. Might be worth a shot, especially if you don't necessarily want to take accutane, which seems to be the recommendation of that article. It's $20/oz

Hi,

Your derm should be able to test for folliculitis by taking a swab from the effected area. People with acne can also develop mild folliculitis which can make disgnosis a bit trickier as in effect you have 2 conditions running side by side. Folliculitis comes in different types and is common on areas where hair is removed or the skin is subject to friction from clothing, masks, hats etc. There are other types that can be caused by long term antibiotic use.

If you have been on erthromycin for 5 years I am very surprised that you have not been rotating your antibiotics. I would think it more probable that your skin bacteria has simply developed a resistance to this antibiotic. You should discuss this with your doc/derm and maybe try minocin or trimethropin for a while then rotate back to erthromycin in a few months. You can also do the same with topicals, ie use one with a different antibiotic content such as duac which contains clindamycin.

Hope this is of some use

duac can also cause gram negative folliculitis as well. Any antibiotic whether it is topical or oral can cause it. It's just easier to get when taken orally because you are basically taking a higher dose of antibiotics. Hope that makes sense. I would get to your derm and ask him about it. I thought I have it and went to derm and he said no just by looking at it. I guess his patients behind me were more important to get to because how in the world can he just look at it and say no it's not it when they look so much alike. I am going to my new derm and I am going to demand her to at least take a swab or skin culture. I would be firm with your derm like you are in charge because derms honestly don't care. Not all derms but many that I have come across. The patient that is in the waiting room is more gas money for one of their Mercedes Benz so make sure you take your time and get a full examination. If they can send a man to the moon they should be able to help every one of us.

duac can also cause gram negative folliculitis as well. Any antibiotic whether it is topical or oral can cause it. It's just easier to get when taken orally because you are basically taking a higher dose of antibiotics. Hope that makes sense. I would get to your derm and ask him about it. I thought I have it and went to derm and he said no just by looking at it. I guess his patients behind me were more important to get to because how in the world can he just look at it and say no it's not it when they look so much alike. I am going to my new derm and I am going to demand her to at least take a swab or skin culture. I would be firm with your derm like you are in charge because derms honestly don't care. Not all derms but many that I have come across. The patient that is in the waiting room is more gas money for one of their Mercedes Benz so make sure you take your time and get a full examination. If they can send a man to the moon they should be able to help every one of us.

Yep fair point...except...........NASA aren't interested in me but they are in the moon!!!