Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s500

different types of dermabrasion

I called up a dr in italy thats a family friend, and was asking him serveral questions about dermabrasion. I asked him if dermarcation ( elevated)lines are possible and he said absolutelty not. I asked him why? He told me his machine is controlled where he can only go so deep and will give even sanding through out the area. I asked him about getting enlarged pores and he said thats a big possibility. Although dr y is highly experienced, I still cant imagine any hand being so steady to give an exact sanding depth each stroke.

Is there such a thing as depth controlled dermabrasion? That has less complications?

I understand dr y uses the wire brush, but does he have other mothods, I mean what if its not needed to use the wire brush. Is there also different grits on the dremel tip, fine course ect. I just want to have spot dermabrasions over my floats if i get them and over some areas.

Any thoughts on different types of machine/tips. This can probably be answered best by dr y but for now iam asking for your opnion. Thanks

Yeah I know what you mean about the depth control being a possible problem. I figure if the wheel had some sort of spring loaded head that would better control the depth but I don't think any dermabrasion tool has this. It is scary to think that your results are highly dependent on the doctor's ability. I guess microdermabrasion is the same too.

Colin

Hey colin thanks for responding, he also called the wire wheel and dr ys method a thing of the past which is probably due to his lack of experience. Iam still curious if theres something lighter then the wire wheel and if dr y has this machine. I would bet he has all kind of dermabrading tools, he cant just have one type, I cant wait till he opens and let him decide and hear his options. January seems a long way from now.

Yeah I know what you mean about the depth control being a possible problem.  I figure if the wheel had some sort of spring loaded head that would better control the depth but I don't think any dermabrasion tool has this.  It is scary to think that your results are highly dependent on the doctor's ability.  I guess microdermabrasion is the same too.

Colin

Yeah I know what you mean about the depth control being a possible problem.  I figure if the wheel had some sort of spring loaded head that would better control the depth but I don't think any dermabrasion tool has this.  It is scary to think that your results are highly dependent on the doctor's ability.  I guess microdermabrasion is the same too.

Colin

Colin

Yeah, it really is scary. However, I completely disagree w/ you that microderm has the same kind of risk factor. Maybe that isn't what you're saying...? smile.gif

My biggest issue with dermabrasion at this point is the cost! (oh, and let's not forget the fact that I don't want it done by anybody other than the good Dr. Yarborough, and who the hell knows how long it's going to take before that operation gets back on track.)

I could deal with the 5 grand fairly easily. As I mark it, it would be a fantastic investment in my future, because I can think of many things that I've given up or refused to try in the years since these scars appeared because of my self-consciousness. However, it's the plane ticket to and from NOLA, then the week or so in hotel, the cab, and expensive nightly-takeout, etc. that holds me back...

I guess I -could- spend another thousand, but when I really consider it, it's not the cash that's holding be back, either: I'm actually horrified by being locked up in a hotel room w/ a raw face and no one to talk to for a week. I know everyone says that Dr. Y is "sweetest thing since shoo fly pie!" but it doesn't matter to me. I don't want to go out for dinner w/ him, I don't really want to hug him, I just want him to make me look better.

That will obtain my eternal gratitude as well as my money.

Maybe I'll move down South for a year (though as a gay male who's lived in the North all his life, I know I'm lying when I say that.)

I called up a dr in italy thats a family friend, and was asking him serveral questions about dermabrasion. I asked him if dermarcation ( elevated)lines are possible and he said absolutelty not. I asked him why? He told me his machine is controlled where he can only go so deep and will give even sanding through out the area. I asked him about getting enlarged pores and he said thats a big possibility. Although dr y is highly experienced, I still cant imagine any hand being so steady to give an exact sanding depth each stroke.

Is there such a thing as depth controlled dermabrasion? That has less complications?

I understand dr y uses the wire brush, but does he have other mothods, I mean what if its not needed to use the wire brush. Is there also different grits on the dremel tip, fine course ect. I just want to have spot dermabrasions over my floats if i get them and over some areas.

Any thoughts on different types of machine/tips. This can probably be answered best by dr y but for now iam asking for your opnion. Thanks

s500: On Dr. Alkek's web site, it says he uses both the wire brush and diamond wheel. The three or four people I've chatted with were all very happy with their dermabrasion with him. The difference between Dr. Alkek and Dr. Y is that Dr. Y will pretty much perform dermabrasion on anyone if you ask, while I've heard Dr. Alkek is more selective on whom he'll perform dermabrasion on. If Alkek doesn't think you're a good candidate or if he thinks it's overkill for your scars, he'll refuse to do it.

Of course,the results are highly dependent on the doctor's ability...Why do you think Dr. Y can charge $4500.00 when the average cost of a dermabrasion in 2000 was under $1500.00.Its really scary putting ones face in the  shaky hands of someone in their 70's(ie, Dr.Y).I personally think either he loves helping people or he's very greedy.If he loves helping people ,I  question why he charges so much for something that takes so little of his time!!! At his age with what happened in New Orleans, why would he possibly return to his pratice????I'm sure this will piss alot of posters off, but I call it like I see it.

Well I'm sure he's not vehemently objecting the price or asking Dr. Meyer to lower the price if that's what you're getting at. My point was that even if he wanted to lower the price, he probably couldn't because Dr. Meyer has the final say. He could always threaten to leave if it was a big sticking point with him, but 1, I'm sure it's not, and 2 he's really not the type of person that would do something like that.

Well I'm sure he's not vehemently objecting the price or asking Dr. Meyer to lower the price if that's what you're getting at.  My point was that even if he wanted to lower the price, he probably couldn't because Dr. Meyer has the final say.  He could always threaten to leave if it was a big sticking point with him, but 1, I'm sure it's not, and 2 he's really not the type of person that would do something like that.

Thanks kooky I will call Dr Alkek tomorrow just to find out more, does this mean Dr y does not have or perfrom with the diamond fraise at all. Not that I know the difference, Iam just curious if he carries other tools wich would mean other and more options. Dont need to be overkilled with a procedure just because that all he carries.

I just did a check on Dr. Alkek and he had no negatives against him. The report however does not include malpractice and lawsuits, just state and federal actions against the doctor are shown. Only 1% of doctors have actions against them and these include.

Patient files a complaint form to the state

Defaulting on a student loan

Failure to complete continuing education requirements

Substance abuse

Over-prescribing drugs

Self-prescribing drugs

Physical or mental impairment

Sexual abuse of a patient

Colin

I just did a check on Dr. Alkek and he had no negatives against him.  The report however does not include malpractice and lawsuits, just state and federal actions against the doctor are shown.  Only 1% of doctors have actions against them and these include.

Substance abuse

Over-prescribing drugs

Self-prescribing drugs

Colin

Here's a website that has the videos showing actual dermabrasion. Just search for dermabrasion then click on the dermabrasion link, fill in some fields and go into the presentation. The presentation has 4 video clips that actually show the dermabrasion occurring. Scary indeed. I just can't imagine being in the wrong hands in this type of procedure and I can definitely see the effects of steady hands and the possibility for getting more scars. Zykes Scooby!

http://www.brainshark.com/brainshark/vu/Gu...er=vuπ=104698

Here's a website that has the videos showing actual dermabrasion.  Just search for dermabrasion then click on the dermabrasion link, fill in some fields and go into the presentation.  The presentation has 4 video clips that actually show the dermabrasion occurring.  Scary indeed.  I just can't imagine being in the wrong hands in this type of procedure and I can definitely see the effects of steady hands and the possibility for getting more scars.  Zykes Scooby!

http://www.brainshark.com/brainshark/vu/Gu...er=vuπ=104698

I was just looking at the tip of this tool, doesnt it make sense if the tip was wider to cover a larger area? like maybe 3 times the size.

post-26351-1128735107_thumb.jpg

post-26351-1128735107_thumb.jpg

Thats why were here so we can understand different tips different tools, and get an idea of the whole things before one rushes right into it, as bad as it sounds its one of the only procedures out there that yields results.

That's how the dermaplaning tool is. From what I've seen on couple sites, the resurfacing end of the tool appears rectangular and flat. Theoretically that should be easier to perform with, as well as giving the skin a more even texture. Check it out.

I was just looking at the tip of this tool, doesnt it make sense if the tip was wider to cover a larger area? like maybe 3 times the size.

1/16 of an inch isn't overkill for the cheeks, considering how thick the cheeks are eusa_wall.gif

Here's a good link with pictures at the bottom.  Scary to think that it looks like a dremel tool.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic744.htm

I can definitely see problems if the frigiderm wears off and the skin become soft again during the procedure.

Colin

Thats a good article...I read it the other day and thought about posting it myself.Her are others;

http://www.cosmeticsurgerytimes.com/cosmet...il.jsp?id=49463

facts????(grain of salt) about Dr. Fulton( he maybe retired???)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/lofiversi...t24409-450.html

Fulton claimed he is the co developer of Retin A and helped develop Benzoyl Peroxide.I remember he said he uses CO2 instead of freon to freeze the skin prior to dermabrasion.He also said 1/16 of an inch could be safely removed on the cheeks.I've read several of his books...You believe what you like.

So you respect Dr. Fulton? Have you checked into his background?

I just did a check on Dr. Alkek and he had no negatives against him.  The report however does not include malpractice and lawsuits, just state and federal actions against the doctor are shown.  Only 1% of doctors have actions against them and these include.

Substance abuse

Over-prescribing drugs

Self-prescribing drugs

Colin

I would check someone out as much as possible before I let them touch my face.I've read about big time botched dermabrasions and phenol peels.Scars are forever and there is no way to accurately predict the outcome of a dermabrasion.Fulton said that in his book and he did dermabrasion's for 30+ years.I would NEVER recommend someone with mild scarring to get one.I got one with mild scarring but when I think about the risk-reward it still scares me.I have much more respect for the PS that refused me than the one that agreed to do it. I guess it's "All About the Benjamins."

So you respect Dr. Fulton?  Have you checked into his background? 

I haven't checked his background.I have no interest in a dermabrasion.I have read two of his books and I liked what he had to say.The main thing about him was he had severe acne which left scars and had several dermabrasions himself and has pretty much devoted his life to acne research.He may be retired I'm not sure.

The thing I don't like about Dr. Y is he doesn't  seem to screen his patients.Dermabrasion can improve acne scars in some people, there is no doubt about that.It also can have little effect on others, but the risk of negative effects is always there.I do think dermabrasion has its place just not with ANYBODY THAT WANTS ONE at a cost of $4500.00.I can careless what anyone thinks about that including the infamous doctor himself but remember its just my opinion.

Substance abuse

Over-prescribing drugs

Self-prescribing drugs

Colin

I would check someone out as much as possible before I let them touch my face.I've read about big time botched dermabrasions and phenol peels.Scars are forever and there is no way to accurately predict the outcome of a dermabrasion.Fulton said that in his book and he did dermabrasion's for 30+ years.I would NEVER recommend someone with mild scarring to get one.I got one with mild scarring but when I think about the risk-reward it still scares me.I have much more respect for the PS that refused me than the one that agreed to do it. I guess it's "All About the Benjamins."