Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peachylife

Help! Retin A burning holes!

After reading the good results attained by folks on this forum with Retin A micro, I went ahead and filled my prescription.

To my surprise, it was in liquid form, not gel or cream. I tried to apply it in a very thin layer but maybe I did it too thick on my chin, because I now have 2 quarter-sized, purplish, red burn marks there! The rest of my face is flakey and the existing pimples are now red and scabbed over.

I look like somebody gave me a swirly in the garbage disposal! Makeup is not much of a help...

I've been using Aloe Vera 99% gel and it feel soothing but the flakey-peelies come back in about an hour or so.

Anybody go through this same experience? What about wound-healing? What helps that? Should I use an additional moisturizer? I've been hearing Neutragena and Clinique are good ones...

After reading the good results attained by folks on this forum with Retin A micro, I went ahead and filled my prescription. 

To my surprise, it was in liquid form, not gel or cream.  I tried to apply it in a very thin layer but maybe I did it too thick on my chin, because I now have 2 quarter-sized, purplish, red burn marks there!  The rest of my face is flakey and the existing pimples are now red and scabbed over. 

I look like somebody gave me a swirly in the garbage disposal!  Makeup is not much of a help...

I've been using Aloe Vera 99% gel and it feel soothing but the flakey-peelies come back in about an hour or so. 

Anybody go through this same experience?  What about wound-healing?  What helps that?  Should I use an additional moisturizer?  I've been hearing Neutragena and Clinique are good ones...

There is a liquid form of retin a. I do not think there is one of retin a micro. This liquid is more potent then the gels but can be extremely irritating so pace yourself. Or just get the gel, and ask for retin a micro. Which retin a micro are only gels, no liquids. Retin a .05% liquid/lotion is what you probably got.

There is a liquid form of retin a.  I do not think there is one of retin a micro.  This liquid is more potent then the gels but can be extremely irritating so pace yourself.  Or just get the gel, and ask for retin a micro.  Which retin a micro are only gels, no liquids.  Retin a .05% liquid/lotion is what you probably got.

I assume you wash your face at night, so perhaps you should wait up to an entire hour before applying this solution. How big is the container? How many mls do you have of it?

If the container facilitates this method, then I recommend you get a synthetic bristle fan brush (they're very small-- look up acid peel kits and you'll see a picture). I would just dip the brush once, and apply the fluid as fast as possible. Don't touch your face! Allow some time for it to sink in before you go to bed.

I think it's doable.

I assume you wash your face at night, so perhaps you should wait up to an entire hour before applying this solution. How big is the container? How many mls do you have of it?

If the container facilitates this method, then I recommend you get a synthetic bristle fan brush (they're very small-- look up acid peel kits and you'll see a picture). I would just dip the brush once, and apply the fluid as fast as possible. Don't touch your face! Allow some time for it to sink in before you go to bed.

I think it's doable.

Weird, the liquid must be a lot stronger then the cream. I have fairly sensitive skin, and I had NO redness or irritation at all ofter using .1 solution.

GoldRex I'll bet you're right on the purity of the medication being less impeded in liquid form. Not much chance of clogging pores!

After only 2 days of Neosporin cream use my face is almost completely healed of the road-rash-y, cracked, chapped, burned stuff. There are a few pink marks, but that's it. I've been continuing to apply the liquid to areas of my face without lesions and it has not been causing any more problems! Yay! I think I just got overzealous with the first application...

I highly recommend neosporin for those blemishes that get demolished into gaping wounds by contact with Retin-A.

I've been reading that it can potentially cause hearing loss though if applied in large amounts...