Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FEARLESS

Supplements that stimulate collagen production??

As some you guys know I recently did Exoderm, and I was wondering if any of you guys know of any supplements that stimulate collagen production?? I believe that taking supplements that stimulate collagen is a good a idea b/c that may help me to achieve better results. So if any of you people here know of any supplements that could help me, please tell me.

Thanks in advance!!!

Check out the pinned topic...

*NOTE: I can't take credit for all of this! Most of it was written by Maya - a friend of mine and a former moderator here, who is trained in holistic medicine and has used the above regimen in treating her own scarring.

Thanks to her for providing this great info!!!

Holistic Recovery from Surgery

(Pre and Post Scar Revision/Surgery Protocol for Indented Scars.)

Disclaimer: The information below is intended as a series of suggested methods that may improve your healing post scar treatments. As we are not medical professionals, we cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of this information. By reading this information, you agree not to hold us liable for any damages that may result in your use of this information. This information should not replace information that your Doctor, Plastic Surgeon or nutritionist provides you. Please keep in mind that this is for general information only and results will vary for each individual.

I’m including this protocol for those of you who are having invasive scar revision treatments, whether at the doctor’s office or self administered. This includes revision methods such as dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, skin needling/tattooing, TCA CROSS, deep Chemical peels, subcision etc.

Regardless of the advances in Scar revision techniques, all forms of invasive techniques are stressful. The body’s healing response is still painful as it is to any injury. Both research and common sense tells me to eat an optimal diet and take extra nutrients that support me to heal faster and better. Adding supplements like Zinc and Vitamin C, known to speed wound healing and recovery is a smart step.

Most doctors provide little or no information on how diet choices and supportive therapies can jumpstart healing, although it is a crucial step to receiving the best possible result. A speedy recovery calls for more concentrated nutrients that a normal diet provides.

Have you considered why some people heal better than others? A scar revision method can only be as successful as your body’s ability to heal well and build the collagen necessary for your scars to rise.

Take a read through my recommendations and see which supplements may be a useful aid to your recovery. (Recovery from dermabrasion will need more support than a TCA peel for instance).

Many of the supplements listed can be included into your daily life (smaller doses will be needed), since most are supportive to rebuilding skin generally and are effective with or without surgery.

Start 2 weeks before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after surgery

To build your body’s natural defences before surgery:

Vit C – 3-5,000mg split into 2 doses (promotes healing, collagen growth and free radical scavenger)

Zinc – 60-70mg split into 2 doses - needs to be taken with oil/fat for absorption (Promotes wound healing and anti-oxidant)

B Complex 100mg and 500mg Pantothenic acid (B5) for adrenal strength/stress from surgery

Cod liver oil – 1-2 teaspoons – For Vit A and D and EFS (great skin healer and reduces inflammation)

Essential fatty acids - flax, salmon, evening primrose, borage oils – one or a combination is better. . (Promotes healing)

Calcium/Magnesium – 1000mg Calcium, 400mg Magnesium – Take these just before bed (Tissue repair). Don’t take at the same time as zinc, since they compete.

Multi Vitamin/Mineral – Take 1 a day with main meal to cover all missing elements from above.

Start 1 week before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after surgery

Bromelain 1,500mg split into 3 doses (curbs inflammation, reduces swelling, decreases bruising and pain)

Arnica Montana 180cc, split into 3 doses (reduces bruising and swelling)

MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) 1-2,000mg split into 2 doses (has a good effect on growing hair, nails and skin; improves skin elasticity and thickness; reduces inflammation)

Gotu Kola capsules or tincture – 3 times a day (nerve tissue repair and promotes collagen synthesis)

C0Q-10 180mg, split into 2-3 doses with meals (strengthens ability to heal, free radical destroyers)

What NOT to do:

If you eat garlic, stop 3 days before surgery as it thins the blood and may increase bleeding. Also avoid aspirin, as it’s another blood thinner. Check labels on any other vitamin/herbal you take as well, and avoid any that have blood thinning properties.

Stop any synthetic Vit E supplements 4 weeks prior to curb post operative bleeding (Natural Vit E in foods like avocados is fine)

Diet/Lifestyle 2 weeks before and after:

Eat extra protein – you must have protein to heal. Quality sources of protein can be found in raw eggs, chicken, turkey, liver, oily fish like salmon and mackerel etc. Vegetarian protein includes tofu, grains mixed with beans, almonds etc. Always eat organic!

For Vit K (needed for efficient blood clotting) eat green leafy vegetables, blackstrap molasses, alfalfa sprouts, sea greens.

Probiotics – Either take a probiotic supplement or supplement your diet with ‘live’ yoghurt, fermented vegetables, Kombucha tea, kefir etc. as this is one of the best ways to synthesise Vitamin K

Fruit and Vegetables –Include at least 5 portions. Make a large salad with olive/flax oil dressing and/or make fresh pressed juices daily. Add super green foods that are rich in chlorophyll - get it from spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass, sprouted seeds, seaweed, chlorella etc. or you can buy a supplement that contains ‘superfoods’ as they strengthen your ability to heal. Eat avocados for skin elasticity. Eat pineapples and papaya as they contain enzymes useful in the break down of old scar tissue.

Whole grains – Brown rice, quinoa, millet etc.

Sleep early – Ideally before 10PM, 11PM at the latest.

Water - Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of pure, mineral or filtered water

Sea Salt – Add Celtic sea salt, or ideally Himalayan sea salt to your diet, they contain all the minerals your body needs.

The best all-round supplier I've found for most of the above supplements is www.iherb.com. Their prices are low and service is excellent, with extremely fast and reasonably priced shipping.

BEFORE EMBARKING ON A SUPPLEMENTATION REGIME, IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO CONSULT WITH A QUALIFIED DOCTOR OR NUTRITIONIST.

These links may also be of interest:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=31390

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=38647

I will hopefully be updating this thread with the best topical products to speed healing when I get the chance.

Check out the pinned topic...

*NOTE: I can't take credit for all of this! Most of it was written by Maya - a friend of mine and a former moderator here, who is trained in holistic medicine and has used the above regimen in treating her own scarring.

Thanks to her for providing this great info!!!

Holistic Recovery from Surgery

(Pre and Post Scar Revision/Surgery Protocol for Indented Scars.)

Disclaimer: The information below is intended as a series of suggested methods that may improve your healing post scar treatments. As we are not medical professionals, we cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of this information. By reading this information, you agree not to hold us liable for any damages that may result in your use of this information. This information should not replace information that your Doctor, Plastic Surgeon or nutritionist provides you. Please keep in mind that this is for general information only and results will vary for each individual.

I’m including this protocol for those of you who are having invasive scar revision treatments, whether at the doctor’s office or self administered. This includes revision methods such as dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, skin needling/tattooing, TCA CROSS, deep Chemical peels, subcision etc.

Regardless of the advances in Scar revision techniques, all forms of invasive techniques are stressful. The body’s healing response is still painful as it is to any injury. Both research and common sense tells me to eat an optimal diet and take extra nutrients that support me to heal faster and better. Adding supplements like Zinc and Vitamin C, known to speed wound healing and recovery is a smart step.

Most doctors provide little or no information on how diet choices and supportive therapies can jumpstart healing, although it is a crucial step to receiving the best possible result. A speedy recovery calls for more concentrated nutrients that a normal diet provides.

Have you considered why some people heal better than others? A scar revision method can only be as successful as your body’s ability to heal well and build the collagen necessary for your scars to rise.

Take a read through my recommendations and see which supplements may be a useful aid to your recovery. (Recovery from dermabrasion will need more support than a TCA peel for instance).

Many of the supplements listed can be included into your daily life (smaller doses will be needed), since most are supportive to rebuilding skin generally and are effective with or without surgery.

Start 2 weeks before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after surgery

To build your body’s natural defences before surgery:

Vit C – 3-5,000mg split into 2 doses (promotes healing, collagen growth and free radical scavenger)

Zinc – 60-70mg split into 2 doses - needs to be taken with oil/fat for absorption (Promotes wound healing and anti-oxidant)

B Complex 100mg and 500mg Pantothenic acid (B5) for adrenal strength/stress from surgery

Cod liver oil – 1-2 teaspoons – For Vit A and D and EFS (great skin healer and reduces inflammation)

Essential fatty acids - flax, salmon, evening primrose, borage oils – one or a combination is better. . (Promotes healing)

Calcium/Magnesium – 1000mg Calcium, 400mg Magnesium – Take these just before bed (Tissue repair). Don’t take at the same time as zinc, since they compete.

Multi Vitamin/Mineral – Take 1 a day with main meal to cover all missing elements from above.

Start 1 week before surgery and continue for 2 weeks after surgery

Bromelain 1,500mg split into 3 doses (curbs inflammation, reduces swelling, decreases bruising and pain)

Arnica Montana 180cc, split into 3 doses (reduces bruising and swelling)

MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) 1-2,000mg split into 2 doses (has a good effect on growing hair, nails and skin; improves skin elasticity and thickness; reduces inflammation)

Gotu Kola capsules or tincture – 3 times a day (nerve tissue repair and promotes collagen synthesis)

C0Q-10 180mg, split into 2-3 doses with meals (strengthens ability to heal, free radical destroyers)

What NOT to do:

If you eat garlic, stop 3 days before surgery as it thins the blood and may increase bleeding. Also avoid aspirin, as it’s another blood thinner. Check labels on any other vitamin/herbal you take as well, and avoid any that have blood thinning properties.

Stop any synthetic Vit E supplements 4 weeks prior to curb post operative bleeding (Natural Vit E in foods like avocados is fine)

Diet/Lifestyle 2 weeks before and after:

Eat extra protein – you must have protein to heal. Quality sources of protein can be found in raw eggs, chicken, turkey, liver, oily fish like salmon and mackerel etc. Vegetarian protein includes tofu, grains mixed with beans, almonds etc. Always eat organic!

For Vit K (needed for efficient blood clotting) eat green leafy vegetables, blackstrap molasses, alfalfa sprouts, sea greens.

Probiotics – Either take a probiotic supplement or supplement your diet with ‘live’ yoghurt, fermented vegetables, Kombucha tea, kefir etc. as this is one of the best ways to synthesise Vitamin K

Fruit and Vegetables –Include at least 5 portions. Make a large salad with olive/flax oil dressing and/or make fresh pressed juices daily. Add super green foods that are rich in chlorophyll - get it from spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass, sprouted seeds, seaweed, chlorella etc. or you can buy a supplement that contains ‘superfoods’ as they strengthen your ability to heal. Eat avocados for skin elasticity. Eat pineapples and papaya as they contain enzymes useful in the break down of old scar tissue.

Whole grains – Brown rice, quinoa, millet etc.

Sleep early – Ideally before 10PM, 11PM at the latest.

Water - Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of pure, mineral or filtered water

Sea Salt – Add Celtic sea salt, or ideally Himalayan sea salt to your diet, they contain all the minerals your body needs.

The best all-round supplier I've found for most of the above supplements is www.iherb.com. Their prices are low and service is excellent, with extremely fast and reasonably priced shipping.

BEFORE EMBARKING ON A SUPPLEMENTATION REGIME, IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO CONSULT WITH A QUALIFIED DOCTOR OR NUTRITIONIST.

These links may also be of interest:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=31390

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=38647

I will hopefully be updating this thread with the best topical products to speed healing when I get the chance.

you can take vitamin E, just not before the procedure. I think vitamin C, zinc, and a multivitamin are enough. Plus a healthy diet. I've also heard MSM and pycogenol(?) are great for collagen stimulation. I don't know about all the other stuff on that list...some of it's just to help with redness and swelling.

you can take vitamin E, just not before the procedure.  I think vitamin C, zinc, and a multivitamin are enough.  Plus a healthy diet.  I've also heard MSM and pycogenol(?) are great for collagen stimulation.  I don't know about all the other stuff on that list...some of it's just to help with redness and swelling.