Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
julieta

Ingrown Toe Nails

During my 4th month on accutane i started getting ingrowing toe nails. i am now in my 8th month and they are still ingrown and really painful - i cannot wear any closed shoes and everytime i hit them against something accidentally loads of blood comes out of them. A clear liquid also comes out of them most of the time. They are so painful. My derm said that the ingrown toe nails are due to accutane - infact i've never suffered from this condition before!

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

Yes, it was resulted from myself digging into my toe, because i think my skin was soft and it was bugging me so i kept cutting. Went to the doctors she had a look and said... you'll have to wait about 3 months for it to grow out.

I'm not saying this is what u should do because u could have completely different to mine.... However doc said let it grow out only thing u can do. So i'm in the same boat with kicking my toe on stuff. However its only 1 toe which i am lucky. I think i've gotten past the pain thresh-hold for enclosed shoes now... but coz i'm a guy its a bit easier.

hi! my doc told me to let them grow out too and not to have them operated! It's cause my skin became so soft that this happened - and my toe nails became really hard when before i started they were mega soft and continuously breaking! Oh well i'll just have to live with it - the pain isn't as bad as it was anymore, but sometimes........

Mine weren't due to accutane but I had realllly bad ingrown toenails on both feet, and I tried to uh, give myself mini surgeries every once in awhile..which made things worse. I ended up having to get surgery where they cut off the sides of both my toenails. Please let a foot doctor look at them if they get bad, mine got infected..and the infection can spread to your whole body. I wish I would have gone to the foot doctor sooner and maybe I wouldn't have funny looking toenails now sad.gif

I haven't experienced the ingrown toenail thing, but my doctor warned me about it and said to take silica for it.

i did go to a pedologist but my derm told me not to the the op cause everything will go back to normal after Accutane. I have one and a half weeks left on tane. Can't wait to stop taking the pills - it will be a total of 8 months and 14000 mg!!!

How strange- I've been having problems with ingrown toenails lately and I've never had that before. I never thought that it was because I'm on accutane. Sucks that there's nothing to do for it though...it hurts. I spend most of my day teaching in my bare feet!