Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
will205

Should i moisturise

I get medium to small breakouts in the T-Zone but i have to moisturise there because it is very dry. Should i stop applying the moisturiser over the pimples and start up again when they heal.

Are you on the regimen? If you are, then I would definately moisturize even the spots that still have acne. Just try to find one that's non-comedogenic (sp?) or maybe one with AHA, or glycolic acid...

Mercer

clean and clear has an acne fighting oil free mousterizer. its white, purple, and pink in the bottle. it can sting a little because there is salyric acid in it, but i personally like it!

Everyone needs to moisturize, even over the areas where you have pimples. This is because if they (pimple(s)) become overdry they could become worse because there is no natural oils from your own skin present.

.::So look for a moisturizer that is::.

- Oil-free,

- Has an SPF in it (for day)

- Non Comedogenic [Won't clog pores]

.::Suggestions::.

- Hope in a bottle oil-free moisturizer normal to oily skin By: Philosophy (http://www.philosophy.com) **This has a BHA of 1.5%, so you shouldn't have to use an extra BHA in your skin care regimen, if you use this**

- Nuetrogena Moisture Oil-Free SPF 15

- Purpose Dual Treatment Moisturizer with SPF 15 Protection

- Pualas Choice Essential Non-Greasy Moisturizer with SPF 15 (htto://www.paulaschoice.com)

~Nikki~ :D

I read an article where a dermatologist was interviewed about acne and was asked the very same question. She replied that moisturizer essentially sabotoges your attempts at clearing up acne, because it adds oil/moisture when you're trying to dry out your pimples.

I've found that a really good alternative to moisturizer is a non-comedogenic sunscreen made specifically for the facial area. I use Coppertone Oil-Free Faces, and I apply it sparingly like a moisturizer. My theory is that because sunscreen is supposed to form a barrier on top of the skin, rather than seep into it, it provides a good moisturizer while still letting your acne medicine work.

I do the same, but you need to remember that if you apply your sunscreen sparingly, you don't get the full SPF. I was just reading an article about sunscreens in Vogue or some such mecca of dermatological advice, and they said that most people apply so little sunscreen that they end up with an SPF of 2.3 instead of 15. Scary stuff! Anyway I've started wearing a hat when I'm in the sun - my God, I'm turning into a little old lady. :D

Moisturizers should be oil-free. For sure, you don't want to be applying a body moisturizer to the face that contains oil. This would be sabotage. However, using a facial moisturizer with the above mentioned qualities by sweetchic, is the best way to go to prevent dryness and keep your skin in balance.

As always, do the regimen precisely until you are clear. Then you can add or delete 1 variable at a time.

-Dan