Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hls4881

What you SHOULD NOT put on your skin

I know that having acne is such a pain. (sometimes literally) I do know how it feels to be desperate for something, anything, to work and clear your skin. But, after doing a little research, here is a listing of things that I know I won't be putting on my skin...and you may want to consider them as well.

Mineral Oil

A mixture of refined liquid hydrocarbons derived from petroleum. Mineral Oil is the stabilizing ingredient of many skin formulas. It forms a film on the skin, blocking the pores and interfering with normal skin respiration (think of it like liquid Saran Wrap). It, therefore, not only dries the skin but is a contributing cause of blemishes. Mineral oil and all petroleum-based ingredients are products of black crude oil. In Switzerland it is ILLEGAL to use mineral oil in hospitals!

Petroleum

Petroleum products such as Vaseline (PETROLATUM), etc., do not penetrate the skin, but sit on the surface blocking natural respiration, excretion and absorption of other nutrients.

o Petroleum jelly (petrolatum), another petroleum derivative: it forms a heavier film on the surface of your skin. When your skin perspires and releases water containing salt and chemicals, it aids the liver and kidneys in detoxifying your body. Like mineral oil, petrolatum blocks the skin’s natural breathing and excretion functions.

o Paraffin wax is a hard, white material refined from petroleum by using various solvents. Ceresin is another petroleum product; it’s considered a higher-grade of paraffin. Toluene is commercially derived from petrochemicals. It can be found as a solvent in cosmetics, nail polish remover and dyes. You will also find it as a binding agent in gasoline.

o Benzene is a petrochemical used as a solvent in cosmetics. It can cause depression, convulsions, coma and death.

Beeswax

Beeswax is a sticky sealant. It attracts pollutants, dirt and bacteria and glues them onto the skin as it seals the pores.

Solvent (Solvent Alcohol)

Many skin care products contain solvent alcohol in the form of propyl, isopropyl (petroleum derivatives) or SD alcohol (specially denatured ethyl alcohol). These alcohols are very drying to the skin. They strip the skin’s natural acid mantle, exposing the pores to bacteria and germs. “Skin care products that strip do much more than cause skin problems, they leave pores exposed allowing bacterial growth in the pores which is where these harmful elements enter the blood stream and cause illness or even death,� reported Dr. Bruce Hensel.

Lanolin

An oily excretion of sheep (sheep sweat!), lanolin is a common lubricating ingredient in skin formulas. Extracted from the wool, lanolin has been indicated as a cause of allergic skin reactions in sensitive people. Sheep are bathed twice a year, their wool boiled down and the lanolin skimmed off the top. Imagine not washing your hair for 2 months, scooping of the oily stuff and sticking it in your jar of moisturizer.

Collagen

An animal product, collagen is added to formulas as a moisturizing agent. Contrary to what others might tell you, collagen CAN NOT be absorbed into the skin. Collagen molecules are too large to penetrate the skin and can therefore clog pores blocking the skin’s own natural respiration and secretion process, and absorption of other nutrients. It is an animal product (derived from chicken's feet and used cooking grease) that is sometimes added to cosmetics as a moisturizing agent.

I hope that someone finds this helpful. Thanks, Heather

I'm glad you put this up! i am often surprised by what people will put on their skin....esprecially vaseline...someone was telling me today how they put it on anywhere that needs moisture....on their FACE!!! ack! it doesn't rub in...it just...

gahhh. i don't understand some people.

Thanks Sarah, that is helpful too! I did notice that Sodium Laurel Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate are sure acne causers and that is the main ingredient in shampoos and soaps. Make sure you aren't reversing the good things you are doing for your face by using really cheap and harmful to your face shampoos and body bars.

Heather