Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
koreankid

BP Gel - Making skin worse

I have been using BP Gel for two weeks (yes I know, not long) and my skin appears red and dry. My big pimples are gone, but they are getting replaced by small red pimples under the skin. I am no stranger to Benzoyl Peroxide; I used Proactiv Solution for about a month and a half before I started using this hoping for better results. I read on the main site that this is to be expected, but I don't want to waste my time if I could be using Proactiv and getting my pimples to reduce. I am still going to keep trying the BP Gel because it seems that it works like magic. I am still keeping my hopes up but I am having second thoughts. If anyone has any comments, please let me know.

Here's my daily regimen:

1: Wash face with Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser (is this good to use?), wait about 5-8 minutes.

2: Apply BP Gel, very generously around chin and upper lip (my breakout areas). I apply it on spot pimples too. Wait until it is soaked in.

3: Apply moisturizer (mainly in the morning).

4: Apply Clinique Salicyic Acid Spot Treatment or Proactiv Spot Treatment at night only.

I get very dry and when I used Proactiv I didn't. But with Proactiv, it just kind of reduced the pimples, it didn't really take them away.

take away the 4th step and wait for a week...see how it goes

edit : the irritatingness of the 4th step might be the cause of ur redness and small pimples

Hey there

Im only at my second week as well and I've also had the biggies replaced by hundreds of small bumps....I gave my skin a 2-3 day breather (just moisturising and washing - no BP) and the small bumps went down HEAPS and now im back to the BP but only on every couple of days but using smaller amounts. I think with sensitive skin you have to take it super slow, coz our skin just aint used to the huuuuuuuuuuge amounts and intensities of BP.

You can then work up to using it twice a day, although i'm only down to one zit at the moment *woohoo!*....However I also agree with the others that you should probably eliminate the 4th step - your skin already goes through a hell of a lot with the BP, it doesn't need the extra irritation.

Anyway good luck and let us know how you go smile.gif

It sounds like you're pretty much on the regimen, but I agree to take out step 4 until you're completely clear. Other than that, stick to the regimen precisely and give it 3 months of adherence. It can take a while to kick in and many people say they're happy they stuck it out through the initial stage.

Wait 15 minutes between cleansing and BP application, not 5-8. Remove step 4 for sure, you dont need any more BP (just apply some BP on spots right after your BP application). Don't use SA on the regimen. Lastly, give the regimen 3 months; be patient. Good luck.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I am also on a swim team, and the chlorine in the water 2 1/2 hours a day probably adds to the dryness.