Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
styler

Another accutane log

Heya, I thought I'd start one too, seeing as other people's logs have helped me out alot too.

I'm a 19/m from the Netherlands, and have been experiencing acne from when i was about 15. I hit puberty later then most of my friends, and I can remember the time that I had zero pimples, and them having trouble with it smile.gif I always told em I'd never get that hehe.

Well, in the first two years, 15-16, it was nothing serious, just the average youth-pimples, which almost everyone gets. When I became 17 it became more disturbing, so I was visiting my doctor and tried several medications. some salves, that helped only a little and temporarily, and later I got antibiotics + hydrogel. That made a difference, but when i was off the antibiotics it just came back again. Besides I hate hydrogel.

So it was around 5 weeks ago, when I got back from holiday in Spain, when I started investigating on the internet myself for any medication that could me, and a colleague of mine told me he had been using "roaccutane". He's clear now, and he said that he had real bad acne years ago.

Also a friend of mine had been using it, he's also clear, and when i read all those results on the internet it was time for me to get it as well.

I have had mild to average acne in the past one or two years, but in the last months it's more average then mild, I'd almost say severe. I only have it in my face though, nothing on the shoulders, chest, back, and in my face I only have it around my nose, mouth and on the cheeks, hardly anything on the forehead.

I've always been very confident about myself, have alot of friends, and am enjoying my life, but it just makes me feel bad when I have a breakout again, I've even been staying at home instead of going out on a few occasions. I was like "why is this happening to me? I'm living in a healthy way and am outgoing, why must I get this sh*t !!"

So, I started one month ago, and I'll talk about what I have experienced and will go through in the next months here. Hope it's helping others out in any way.

The first five weeks it started with a big breakout, and when i recovered from it it seems that i had just the same amount of pimples etc on my face as before. Except one thing, Ive developed cysts since I'm on accutane, maybe they have been there and the accutane is making them go up? It's funny how two big cysts come up right before I'm going to a big party in a club. ARghhhhh...

However, after 1 month, or I must say, 34 days now, I've not seen any progression yet, It's ups and downs, and I'm ofcourse not very happy about that. But I know it can take alot more time before it's gonna work, so I'm having this feeling that I will get rid of it, eventually.

Forgot to mention i take 20 mg/day, and in two weeks i have a new appointment. Im gonna ask for 40 then, since I'm around 65 kg. (no derm in my case, not even a real doctor, but more like a "nurse" who is working together with doctors, specially for students who don't have a docter in the town they go to uni. I got the medication on my own requests, pretty bad, don't you think? I don't care anymore though, need to get rid of this. I DID have a blood test for it, to see if my body could take it, so theyre not like complete idiots there wink.gif )

Day 48,

Im now on 40 mg/day, for at least a month.

Skin has been slightly better in the last 2 weeks, I guess, but it's still ups and downs.

I keep washing my face 2 times a day, and it's somehow less dry then it was in the first month. (might change again now, since i got the higher dose)

Woke up today and found a big bump kindof where my jaw is, it might be a cyst, or just a bump that will go away in a day or two (been there before). Either way it looks like i've been in a fight, or have a tootache hehe.. yeah, i laugh about it, i don't care anymore, people i care about will never make fun of me, and people that i don't know better not.

strange, how i am also more agressive while being on this. I guess its due to the few big breakouts ive gone through, which pisses me off =)

nothing particularly odd has happened in the last days, so forgive me for not posting, but theres not alot of reason to it. I havent really taken any pictures from the start so I also can't really compare. Let's say its still worse then before tane, but it's almost recovered to "before-tane".

If this continues like this, I'd be pretty damn happy. smile.gif

another blood test in 2 weeks, due to the higher dose, if that one's okay i guess ill quit doing those tests.

I'll post again in a week or so, or earlier when something important happens smile.gif

To all of you: good luck!

PS. about my spelling, it's not that i can't do better, i'm just lazy wink.gif

Hi

Thanks for reading my log, by the way when did u start breaking out when u were on 20mg/day? Ive been on it for 2 weeks and im clearing up nicely. I wish you all the best!

hey Droog,

I think it was after a week or so, and that took me 1-2 weeks to recover from. Then it happened again in week 4 or 5 or something. Since then i havent had any REAL breakouts i suppose. (now had 7 weeks).

But i DID have my dose upped from 20 to 40 2 days ago, I'll keep this log updated about any changes cause of that.

Good luck to you too!

Allright, day...52?

been on double dose (40) for 6 days now and going through some shit.

Right side of the mouth, corner of the mouth, has dried out very badly. I havent been paying much attention to those parts of the lips with the moisturizing, so i now have this gross right side of my mouth, it peeled at first, now it looks like some kind of disease. pissed me off to say the least. Face overall is said to look better but i have the impression that it's still about the same. Im feeling a big one coming through, and i have alot of smaller ones atm, but most are on the way back. thats at least one good thing.

i just hope my lips will heal fast, cause pimples are "normal" but this looks far from "normal", know what i mean? :\

Blood work again in the week after this one,then probably at least 6 more weeks of this dose. I'll keep you guys updated.

hup holland hup holland! :whistle:

I am now at day 17, things are going just as you described...up and down.

I started at 40mg/day btw...in 1 1/2 month my derm should up the dose to 60/80mg a day.

Day 54 now actually, was wrong yesterday :)

Lip looking somewhat better now. Not much else to say, not looking very good atm, but i have a good feeling about this being the last shit coming out. well, we will see!

Hey Flow :) if theres anything you need to know, just ask :) good luck with the course.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Thanks,

Benzaclin is a combination of 5% benzoyl peroxide and 1% clindamycin (an antibiotic). It's topical. I think I might get put on antibiotics next. Anyway good luck with the 'tane.

good luck my friend! i wouldn't consider 40mg as a high dose because i started on 40...no major breakouts....i'm going to see my derm tomorrow hopefully i get 60 or 80 and end this course asap

Day 57

face cleared dramatically last few days, and my lips are healing lot too!

Damn, I really hope this is the turn around phase, which so many described.. seeing I'm on this drug for about 2 months now too...

Only region i have active ones are on my "jawline" and chin..

cheeks and nose are doing remarkably well, forehead has some small ones that go away pretty quickly. I really hope i won't get a new breakout now, but we will see. I'm not really bothered by the ones on the jawline and chin, it might be the last shit that has to come out.

If anything changes I'll update here :)

ciaoo

Day 64

Turned out to be not quite over this problem yet, had some new ones in the past week on the cheeks that were almost clear. Recovering from them now.

Still looking decent, I guess, the progress is now noticable.

Not alot has happened so not alot has been posted, sorry about that ;(

Gonna get (probably my last) blood test done tomorrow, and if it's allright ill just stay on 40 mg for the next two months and we'll see how things are by then.

Hey glad to you were having some improvement, mine's been calming down over the last week. I was in the Netherlands over the summer but couldn't partake in any famous festivities due to the tane!

Day 75

Major Improvement since i started. Been going better and better the last couple of weeks. My nose is getting VERY dry tho (inside) and that sometimes hurts. Had one nosebleeding this far, that was last week. the breakouts are getting smaller and they last alot shorter. Cheeks are pretty much becoming clear, same for nose. Sometimes some zits on forehead/jawline.

i think i'll take one more month ( that will make 4 months ) at least, but i can't wait to get off this medicine, since the side effects really suck.

The blood test I was talking about was OK, btw, so I can continue.:)

Anyone got some tips on keeping the inside of the nose from being so dry? :) I'll ask my doc as well anyway!

Unlucky that you didn't get to the festivities Coll! but what is there to do here anyways! :)

greetings and good luck to everyone!

Edited by styler

styler, the same thing happened to me, my acne started off nothing serious when i was 15 or 16, just minor spots, then i turned 17, i had this break out on my forehead and that was the turning point. I kept on getting spots on my cheeks and forehead. I took antibiotics and to be honest they didnt help so now i am on roaccutane/accutane so i can get rid of them. I have just turned 20, so I want rid of the problem for good!

DAY 89??

12 weeks 5 days..

Well, Overall still going pretty good, except something big developed a few days ago, getting worse and worse, its a big cyst, on a pretty clear skin. big bummer, 3 months in, still some new shit coming. not just some shit but a big cyst, only had 4 or so of them EVER. nothing i can do about it other then wait :( Other then this I can't really complain. Dry nose is getting better every day, lips still a pain but under controll, noticing my skin on my body is getting dryer here and there, i don't really like that...

good night ;)

14 Weeks.

Face hasnt been this good, it is now also better then before i started the treatment. The big cyst i was talking about is gone, and i have around 6 weeks of treatment left. Face is almost clear, lots of redmarks still, but i will tan them off once i stop taking pills. i only have max 1 active zit at a time right now, which is pleasing. I'm quite happy, but I'm looking forward to quitting the treatment cause I don't like the side effects at ALL! Nothing new to mention other then that it's going very good.

Cya in a week or so, or when I have something relevant to post! :)

Well, my face always looked quite ok after summer :) you see very little to nothing of my acne (but mine was never real bad) after summer. so i guess tanning will help alot concerning the redmarks.

hey styler, sounds like things are going well for you...what dosage are you on atm? i too started on 20 for first 3 weeks then bumped it up to 40...only been on for 6 weeks and my derm appointment is coming up on the 12th of DEC, considering upping my dosage again as the side effects aren't so bad except for this pain ive been getting in my knee over the past 2 weeks but im not sure this is related to the tane....

one other question, have you experienced any type of joint/bone aches while on tane? do u play any sports or do running of any kind?..thanks and congratulations on your improvement so far, things can only get better now for you ;)

Hey Tmac,

Yes, I play football, and work out. I've had some pain in my back, but I've had that also before tane. And it's kinda gone now too. I'm still on 40 (first 6 weeks 20) and I will finish my course with 40.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck to you too.

15 weeks done, 5 weeks to go.

great progress, am satisfied, redness really stands out now that active acne is gone though. Can't wait to start dealing with that. Will have to end the course first though. not much to tell, sorry :$

good night!

Week 16

Maybe one new pimple in the last 7 days. Looks clear though,

redmarks still there ofcourse, more bothered about them then the acne itself!

Got my last packages from the pharmacy last week, I got around 4 weeks to go now! Feels great. :)

Cool, moved :))

The cyst from about 2-3 weeks ago remained to be a very small unnoticable spot, but unfortunately it started to grow last night, and I think ill be stuck with this nasty bump for some days, on a quite clear face. :(

If i had quit taking tane it maybe wouldn't have happened!

Oh well, 4 weeks left!

Week 17.

Time flies.

The cyst i was talking about is gone, and basically I am clear. As in no active acne, just redmarks. I have about 4 weeks worth of Tane left, maybe a bit less.

Nothing to talk about with you guys, cause nothing odd is happening. Bought some blistex stick recently and I must say it owns. The cetomacrogrol (creme) i used for my lips was even better, maybe, but this stuff keeps me going as well, and it tastes good! haha.

Happy holidays to everyone, and I'll keep you updated.