Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DM1

So what does a dermatologist do?

If I see one, is he/she just going to throw prescriptions at me? Or will I be able to get proper advice on the condition?

Basically I'm weighing up whether I want to see one or not, and the alternatives available if I don't go. Because I'm fairly certain that I'll be recommended to take Accutane/pills, which is something I'm thoroughly against.

If I see one, is he/she just going to throw prescriptions at me? Or will I be able to get proper advice on the condition?

Basically I'm weighing up whether I want to see one or not, and the alternatives available if I don't go. Because I'm fairly certain that I'll be recommended to take Accutane/pills, which is something I'm thoroughly against.

The derm probably won't give you accutane at first, unless your skin is really bad. Accutane is a last resort. Most derms would treat you with several other medications before considering accutane.

hmm maybe its cos im from UK, i went to see a derm.. i guess you'd call my acne moderate, although it felt severe to me.

Within 30 seconds of seeing him, he was like... mmmeh take roaccutane.

So here i am on it, my face has cleared up pretty well.... though my forehead still gets loadsa pustules

I went to a derm a while back- no help at all. Analyzed my skin for about two minutes...she recommended Cetaphil...which didn't make me break out but didn't exactly fight acne.

My sister, who has similar skin as myself, went to a different derm and she got a prescription that made her breakout like crazy- it was too strong for her skin.

I would go, but take what they say with a grain of salt- each person is different, and that includes doctors/dermatologists.

Make sure you ask her what type of skin you have- oily, dry, combination, sensitive, etc. These are important characteristics to know when you choose cleansing products. That is something I wish I found out (or remembered) from my derm.

As for Accutane, a derm. has to prescribe it for you, but it's very strong stuff. Do a google image search for it and you'll see it's type of clients. It also has bad side effects- do a lot of research if you are seriously considering it.

mmm its odd, I read all these horror storys about accutne...

I eventually decided to go see a private derm, and he proscribed me roaccutane at the drop of a hat, I was like... what about side effects?

He basically said in 30 years of working as a private dermatologist, hes never seen anyone with side effects that are actually dangerous or life changing.

So here I am 2 and a half months in on the tane, things seem to be going fairly well... ive got dry lips and the odd rare headache but thats it!

Honestly, Derms are godsents. Everyone of them is different and they might seem like they don't care, atleast mine didn't. I actually got to sit and talk to him, he cared about me, showed pics of his other patients that were on accutane (of course they consented it) and said call anytime if I had a problem, offered me his cell. I said, thats a bad idea haha. Derms don't want to hurt you, and about the money, as you can see most are pumping customers, so they would want one to get out of the way. Most derms will give you Accutane if you say you want it, be prepared, I was, I knew everything about it and he said its a money issue and a consent from me. Then it was done, I'm 2 days in.

Going to a derm is a good idea as they have more insight into skin than your normal doctor. Although, now I think about it, my derm has never gone into much depth about my acne and what causes it, what certain medicines do etc. I expect they assume that the majority of people wouldnt understand the science behind these things, which is fair enough as most wouldnt