Notifications
Clear all

Almay

MemberMember
(@ifonly)

Posted : 09/28/2005 11:56 pm

As a general rule I try to wear as little makeup as possible, preferring the natural look. However from time to time when my complexion gets bad or when I go out, I do try to cover up the nastiest spots as best I can. [Edited image out]Over the last couple of years i've experimented with a few different brands/shades of concealers/powders/foundations....but I never liked them (wasted my money). When I wore it, you could tell, the coverage wasn't so great and I had trouble getting colours to match..... and for some reason, even the "oil-free" ones made my face so shiny by the end of the day. I'd have to be careful not to rub up against anything lest the makeup were to smear off! (I do have a couple embarrassing stories about that too.... hehe)

Anyway.... I broke down and went to another derm about a week ago. The breakouts are relentless and I really want them to stop. He gave me some benzaclin and suggests I take a systemic antibiotic as well (although we discussed my reservations about that.... I'll decide after my next appointment) and he also gave me a list of non-comedogenic products (cleansers/moisturizers/makeup/sunscreens). On that list was Almay Clear Complexion foundation.

I decided to try it. Almay is BY FAR the best brand of makeup I have ever tried. It has SA and aloe in it so it actually fights acne while on. .....and once it's on, it stays put! EVEN AFTER TEN HOURS, my face wasn't oily but was fresh-looking. The coverage is GREAT and the colour I chose matches my skin almost perfectly.

Just thought I'd share...... [Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out][Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@dolcegabannagirly)

Posted : 09/29/2005 10:01 am

That sounds great! I know ur not on Dans regimen, but for those reading who are! Do not use this bc it has SA! ANd that will interefere with BP! And personally, I have always had bad luck with makeup with SA in it. MAybe its just my skin! Im glad its working for u tho! smile.gif

MemberMember
(@cori)

Posted : 10/10/2005 6:08 pm

Are you sure Almay Clear Complexion will not work well with 2.5 BP Spot treatment? What about the Almay Clear Complexion Pressed Powder? Have you tried the combinaton?

MemberMember
(@ifonly)

Posted : 10/10/2005 9:28 pm

I don't think that the two products will stop each other from working. I think the concern is that both SA and BP both have a drying/peeling effect so it might be bad if you have sensitive skin. My derm told me to use benzaclin only at night (it has BP + antibiotic in it) and I use the makeup during day (only if I'm going out). I found the benzaclin to be a bit drying at first but then my skin got used to it. I found the makeup to be soothing though. But if you're just using a spot treatment it probably shouldn't be bad.

Are you sure Almay Clear Complexion will not work well with 2.5 BP Spot treatment? What about the Almay Clear Complexion Pressed Powder? Have you tried the combinaton?

MemberMember
(@janero)

Posted : 10/10/2005 10:37 pm

almay sounds good...prehaps i should try it

but i don't have active pimples anymore...

MemberMember
(@wasting_days_away)

Posted : 10/10/2005 10:48 pm

i have to agree with you!!!! biggrin.gif almay has the best foundation(s)!!! i wear their blemish clearing foundation and it's god sent!!! i love it so much, it covers so well YET looks like i'm not wearing make-up at all!!!

i've used everything, nothing really made my skin look as good as almay does.

i used to wear concealer and top it with powder, it looked like shit and people would actually notice it as i would too. ew.

MemberMember
(@the-charmed-1)

Posted : 10/11/2005 8:26 am

Hi , im interested in the Almay complexion foundation, but can any of you guys tell me what brand of pressed powder you think works best to set this with?

MemberMember
(@cori)

Posted : 10/11/2005 11:50 am

You could try Almay Clear Complexion pressed powder in translucent.

MemberMember
(@baptista)

Posted : 10/11/2005 1:26 pm

I had the clear complexion powder, but really didn't think that highly of it as powders go -- just was hard to pick up, and didn't look terribly natural on my skin. However I did really like the Kinetin liquid makeup and the color looked really natural on my winter skintone.

MemberMember
(@cindy-2)

Posted : 10/11/2005 4:18 pm

I love almay too!!!!! I'm a recent convert as of like 2 months ago.

Before, I was covergirl all the way, but I would never go back to them. Way too cakey and totally settles into every pore and crease. Products are cheaply made and not good quality. Gross!!!

Almay products are so great for my sensitive skin, and have never irritated me or made me break out. Currently I use Almay skin smoothing foundation with kinetin, in sand color (which is AMAZING!!!!!!, COVERS MARKS AND LOOKS NATURAL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!), and Almay skin stays clean powder. Love them both!!!! My skin looks amazing from the moment I put it on until the time I take it off. And usually that is about 13-16 hours.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/11/2005 10:06 pm

Are you sure Almay Clear Complexion will not work well with 2.5 BP Spot treatment?AA What about the Almay Clear Complexion Pressed Powder?AA Have you tried the combinaton?

I LOVE this powder and have used it for several years - I started the regimen about 2 months ago and I wasn't about to give up my beloved - I have had no problems with it. I think if you just use the powder, the amount of SA is so minimal it won't interfere with the BP.

MemberMember
(@fena)

Posted : 10/13/2005 9:04 am

Are you sure Almay Clear Complexion will not work well with 2.5 BP Spot treatment?A What about the Almay Clear Complexion Pressed Powder?A Have you tried the combinaton?

I LOVE this powder and have used it for several years - I started the regimen about 2 months ago and I wasn't about to give up my beloved - I have had no problems with it. I think if you just use the powder, the amount of SA is so minimal it won't interfere with the BP.

SA in a powder?? WICKED COOL... I had no idea!!!!

Does it list a %

0.6% - very little ( most products have 2% SA)

MemberMember
(@joyonmyleft)

Posted : 10/13/2005 9:43 am

I have been using this stuff for about a year now and it works a lot better than some of the other products I have tried. A warning though: WILL PERMANENTLY STAIN CLOTHING. Some collars on my shirts have been ruined because of this stuff, and when I have been careless it has dripped onto clothing and has not come out after numerous washings. It rubs off pretty easily.

But other than that its pretty damn good. I've noticed it really helps with dry skin too. Just make sure nothing comes into contact with your face too much, which is just a general rule of thumb with acne in general.

MemberMember
(@labgirl81)

Posted : 10/13/2005 10:43 am

I have been using this stuff for about a year now and it works a lot better than some of the other products I have tried. A warning though: WILL PERMANENTLY STAIN CLOTHING. Some collars on my shirts have been ruined because of this stuff, and when I have been careless it has dripped onto clothing and has not come out after numerous washings. It rubs off pretty easily.

But other than that its pretty damn good. I've noticed it really helps with dry skin too. Just make sure nothing comes into contact with your face too much, which is just a general rule of thumb with acne in general.

Most liquid makeups stain clothes, I know cuz I make the stuff for a living. I've become great at gettin out makeup stains over the past few years. Cyclomethicone works best on stains from silicone makeup like Almay Clear Complexion, but I guess it's hard to find if you don't work in a lab that makes makeup. I actually work for the company that makes Almay (Revlon), and I've made a few batches of the stuff myself (even one without SA in it for an experiment). I think it's a really nice formula, one of the best we have. I almost want to foward this thread to the girl I work with who formulated it.....

MemberMember
(@salix)

Posted : 10/13/2005 5:49 pm

I really REALLY hope all you guys using SA in anything are using SPF 30 moisturizer or something as well... At LEAST SPF 15.

There have been studies done on SA that question if there is a link between SA and skin cancer (and not just because it increases photosensativity).

[Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@joey-2)

Posted : 10/13/2005 6:28 pm

Aloe + SA = Red Marks Fading?

MemberMember
(@baptista)

Posted : 10/13/2005 10:29 pm

dishstar said:
Salix said:

[Edited link out]

Thanks for that link...v. informative website!

Honestly, I'm not a fan -- it seems to me that they are very nearly resorting to scare tactics without explaining things enough to justify their claims; at first glance it looks like they are saying that SA/GA causes cancer, and they also include vitamin E as a carcinogen -- with no other background this is unnecessarily scary and misleading. My best guess is that this group is very political and is following it's own agenda.

MemberMember
(@salix)

Posted : 10/14/2005 2:38 am

baptista said:
dishstar said:
Salix said:

[Edited link out]

Thanks for that link...v. informative website!

Honestly, I'm not a fan -- it seems to me that they are very nearly resorting to scare tactics without explaining things enough to justify their claims; at first glance it looks like they are saying that SA/GA causes cancer, and they also include vitamin E as a carcinogen -- with no other background this is unnecessarily scary and misleading. My best guess is that this group is very political and is following it's own agenda.

I couldn't find the article on SA and the relation to skin cancer. I recall something about a chemical reaction with the exposure to sunlight or something on those lines. And it wasn't from that sight. It was from Health Canada, and I can't imagine what agenda they would have with our acne issues.

MemberMember
(@chelly123)

Posted : 01/22/2019 12:30 am

Uhmmmm what is sa??

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/22/2019 9:02 am

Salicylic acid