Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am 16 yrs old and have had acne for 5 years. I have tried everything OTC and Retin-A, Retin-A micro, minocycline, tertracycline, just to name a few prescriptions. While I have been using tetracycline for more than two months on my second trial, my skin was 80% clear but I wanted the whole picture. I was looking to be at least 95% clear. Right now I am just that, but have ony been using my own regimen for 3 weeks now, and everythings just getting better and better. I'm very excited about the way my skin is looking and I wanted to share with you what I have been doing. I haven't done anything with my diet, no expensive products, this will be very easy for any of you to copy. Here are the products that I use and what I do with them:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (Salicylic Acid 2%) $6

MicroDemabrasion Kit (optional) found at Target anyone will do. $20-30

Biore Pore Unclogging scrub $7 (optional)

Phillips Milk of Magnesia Original Formula $6

Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation $30

If you use the microdermabrasion kit in this regimen use only if you have no active acne or mild acne, as this may aggrivate active acne.I also put the scrub as optional because this I use when I do the microdermabrasion instead of using the kit's exfoliating cream. I don't like the cream because it contains oil and everything I use is oil free. I have a big problem with my oily skin. It bugs the heck outta me. I have to reapply powder throughout the day 3-4 times to absorb the oil esp. on my nose and on the sides where my cheeks begin. I was always trying to find products that could delay the oil from being produced without totally drying out my skin. Milk of Magnesia has helped alot with this and so has Laura Mercier's foundation, and Ill tell you whats up with the foundation but first I am going to tell you how this regimen works.

Morning: Apply scrub to face (any scrub will do, like Got2b if you like that or Queen Helene Mint Julep scrub, check ingredients first) Massage face with Microdermabrasion going in large circles upwards and outwards. Do this for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with cold water. This makes the skin very smooth and helps eliminate blackheads and further breakouts. This step is optional for people with active acne.

Use a pea size amount of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash and lather with cold water. Massage on face. Rinse with cold water.

Pat face dry with towel and wait until face is completely dry. Then apply a thin layer of Phillips Milk of Magnesia onto face. This takes a while to absorb but don't worry be patient because you will be happy later.

Now apply Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Foundation. Here are the ingredients:

Aqua (Water), Propylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Kaolin, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 20, Squalane, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sorbitan Laurate, Phenoxyethanol, Oleic Acid, Methylparaben, Lecithin, Propylparaben, Cocoyl Sarcosine, Trisodium EDTA, Panthenol, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Butylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, +/- (May Contain): Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Mica (Cl 77019), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), Ultramarines (Cl 77007).

Towards the top of the list is the ingredient Kaolin, found in most clay masks. It used because it absorbs oil very well and draws impurities from the skin. This is extremely good if you have oily skin like me. I thank Laura Mercier for creating this foundation. Wait until the foundation dries a little, it will not look fully matte. This foundation gives very good coverage by the way. Apply bronzer, blush whatever makeup that you like to use and set with a powder. I like to use MAC Studio fix if I want more coverage or Lorac's Wet/Dry Foundation and use a powder.

At Night: Use a baby wipe to remove makeup (buy aloe or sensitive skin if you have sensitive skin) Use a pea size amount of Neutrogena's oil-Free Acne Wash, lather with cold water, massage and rinse with cold water. Pat face dry and apply Phillips Milk of Magnesia onto nose or where you have pimples or blackheads. This cleared up all my blackheads on my nose.

Well that's my regimen. I hope this helps someone as well as it helped me. I definately have to give alot of credit to the Milk of Magnesia. If you like your own regimen right now, and dont want to fully commit to this regimen, then just use the Milk of Magnesia. Use it in the morning as a makeup primer and at night on spots.