Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
changbanger29

Should I stop the treatments?

I had acne a couple months ago but the regimen cleared me (thanks Dan!). But my problem is that I have had these acne scars for the longest time now. They are smooth hyperpigmentation (brown spots). I have been using vinegar, lemon juice, hydroquinone, lactic acid peels, and neutrogena multivitamin treatment. Ive had some success with these, but in the past two weeks these things just stopped working. I was thinking I may have been intoxicating my skin with all this stuff that I not letting my face a chance to heal on its own.

I've left my acne scars alone in the past and they have disappeared over time (4-6 months). Should I stop all these treatments to let me face heal on its own? I seriously have not been getting any results from my products and Ive been wearing SPF sunscreen to avoid darkening my scars. Your insight will be most appreciated!

Changbanger29,

1. Stop using anything for a week before trying something new on your skin. You should try any new treatment one at a time. Don't try them all together at the same time. If you try lemon juice, do it at least 1 month to see the result, but don't use vinegar, lemon juice, hydroquinone, lactic acid peels etc on your face at the same time. If the lemon juice doesn't do anything in a month, or if you found it irritating for your skin, stop the treatment and try something else.

2. Dab the stuff only on your spots, don't use it for the whole face. If you use lemon juice or hydroquinone for the whole face, it'll bleach your skin and make the dark spots stand out even more. Use it just on the spots until the color even out, then you can use it for the whole face if you wish. I found lime juice works best for my dark spots. Try to find organic lime or organic lemon if you can.

3. If you already did all the above suggestions and still didn't see any result, try mixing lemon (lime) juice, honey and suger together. And dab the mixture on the dark spots before going to bed, and wash in the morning. Remember, ONLY on the spots, and do it religiously for at least a month. Good luck :D

Matahari,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. But yeah I'm going to use nothing except a mild soap without BP or SA. But the thing is that I have spots all over my face (mainly my left side), so I cant really spt treat because they are all scattereed around. What should I do? Should I moisturize also? Ill tell you how it goes. Thanks again.

What's your skin type anyway? Oily? Dry? If your skin is oily, try pure aloe vera gel as moisturizer. Otherwise, use plain castor oil. Just put several drops of castor oil in your fingertips and gently massage it into your damp face (after you wash it of course). Both aloe vera gel and castor oil are very mild and help in reducing dark spots, too. I never use soap to wash my face. I wash with honey and milk when my skin is slightly dry or honey and lemon juice when it gets a bit oily. :D

Oh, if you decided to use castor oil, you might like to buy the odorless and tasteless one you can find in most drugstores. It is very cheap. I bought mine for US 99 cent/4 oz (120 ml) and love it very much. It helps my husband's stiff joints, too! O:)

Hey I just found out that my skin looks seriously 50% better when I dont use a skin bleaching product. It probably makes my scars even more noticeable sense I use it over my whole face sense I have scars all around my face. Im using Neutrogena Skinclearing Moisturizer as well as the Multi Vitamin Treatment. Hopefully it'll give more clarity to my skin like it said it would.