Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Since I am convinced that my breakouts are caused by my screwed up hormones Ive started taking Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto has an estrogen-like affect on women and causes men to produce less testosterone. Ive been taking it for a month now and ive only gotten about 3 new pimples since then. Its great! But lately my boobs have felt very sore and they are noticeably bigger. I didnt make the connection until after I started researching this herb a bit more and read that in some women it causes breast growth. Its even a major herb in most breast growth products. Im actually VERY pleased with the results! lol But it just seems strange that ive only been taking saw palmetto for a month and its had such a big effect on me so fast. I was wondering if any other girl has been taking this herb and If youve seen a noticeable difference in your breast size.

Hi!

I just started taking Saw Palmetto a few days ago, also for what I believe to be hormonal acne.

Just a few questions for you:

1. how old are you? (if you don't mind)

2. what dose of Saw Palmetto are you taking daily?

3. just how much bigger are we talking about??

Wow, what an unexpected side effect. No problem for me; I've got room to grow! smile.gif

Thanks!

I've been taking saw palmetto for a long time now, 160mg-320mg standardized. I don't notice any bad side effects at all, just a significant decrease in oil production (a good thing).

I've been taking saw palmetto for a long time now, 160mg-320mg standardized. I don't notice any bad side effects at all, just a significant decrease in oil production (a good thing).

Guest pokerbugg

if its for men...is it ok for women to use...i dont wanna get a beard or mustache and stuff lol ...

Guest pokerbugg

yea i had gone to the website...the one for women is called something else... ugh...i hate not knowing things

I asked the pharmacist at Walgreens if it was okay for women to take Saw Palmetto and he said he wouldnt recommend it...But they do have them for women? So I guess it must be safe then....This is soooo confusing eusa_doh.gif

I asked the pharmacist at Walgreens if it was okay for women to take Saw Palmetto and he said he wouldnt recommend it...But they do have them for women?  So I guess it must be safe then....This is soooo confusing eusa_doh.gif

I asked the pharmacist at Walgreens if it was okay for women to take Saw Palmetto and he said he wouldnt recommend it...But they do have them for women?  So I guess it must be safe then....This is soooo confusing eusa_doh.gif

I've been researching this for a short while, and it is OK for women to take Saw Palmetto. Its method of action is very similar to that of Spironolactone- they are both anti-androgens. Saw palmetto can prevent the conversion of testosterone to DHT (dihydrotestosterone), which triggers oil production. This is why this type of treatment is useful for women whose acne is caused by a hormone imbalance (they have too much DHT). Perhaps your pharmacist is not aware, but endocrinologists often recommend Saw palmetto to their female patients to help treat Polycystic ovary syndrome, hirsutism, and acne (all of which are causally related- in SOME women).

This is also why men use Saw palmetto for the health of their prostate. It inhibits DHT production from testosterone, and helps treat benign prostatic hyperplasia.

While I have found alot of information regarding Saw palmetto use in women to treat hormonal acne, I found nothing about this for men- this is not to say there's no information out there- I just wasn't looking for that because I'm a girl wink.gif

In studies, the only side effect I saw mentioned was mild gastrointestinal distress, which can be avoided if you take the Saw palmetto with a meal.

As for the interesting breast enlarging "side effect"- EmmaCollins is right- Saw palmetto is a common ingredient in many herbal breast enhancing pills.

Good luck everyone!

I started taking Saw Palmetto yesterday as after researching on the internet I believe my acne is hormone related. The dose I'm on is 3g (270mg fatty acid).

Will let you know how I go.

Guest pokerbugg

what is the rec. dosage for hormal acne on this thing...i also just bought it yesterday cuz i think i have hormonal acne ... i always break out on my cheeks (usually) and... u guys think its ok if i take this and a multivitamin w/ additional a,c,e,b complex ? or should i alternate ...or try the saw palmetto by itself first........ ive turned into a pill head

me- 32 yo female

One week ago, I started taking a "female tonic" of dong quai, blessed thistle, chaste tree, and black cohosh due to an onslaught of jaw cysts. After a few days, my breasts swelled up and are still feeling kind of uncomfortable.

My cysts stopped coming, but I also changed my diet at the same time (no wheat/ grains). Not sure what I think about these herbs confused.gif .....will decide if PMS is affected.

Anyone know if there are studies on these herbs and breast cancer?

is 540 mg too much???

In one study I saw the dose for men treating prostate conditions was 320mg per day. The Saw palmetto I bought is a 376 mg pill so I just take one a day. However, only an expert (someone knowledgeable in homeopathics, I guess) can tell you what is enough or too much for you.

I looked on the GNC website and i couldnt find Saw Palmetto for women.  Are you sure they have it there?

Just wanted to let you all know...

I think SweetJade posted about Saw Palmetto a while back in one of her very informative, well-researched posts. idea.gif I think she sited a study where woman that used Saw Palmetto sometimes had to up the dosage to above 1000mg to see any effect. That's what I can remember from the post.

I tried the Saw Palmetto about 2 months ago (but only for about a month and a half). I didn't see any difference. mad.gif My acne actually got a bit worse because at the same time I stopped taking Vitex (aka: Chaste Berry, Agnus Cactus). I was taking 1000 mg of Saw Palmetto and now I'm back to the Vitex.

It's soo confusing for me. My face seemed really great for a while and it may have been due to the Vitex. I didn't know for sure because I was also getting a killer tan and taking the other supplements as well as started using Hibiclens. So I messed up any chance of getting info on any single method. eusa_think.gif

I've been back on Vitex for over a month now (1000mg) and my washing/face regiment has remained the same. I'm going to try and keep things the same to see what effect Vitex really has on me (by the way, ladies, Vitex is supposed to be superb for hormonal acne).

I'm tempted to buy more Saw Palmetto and this new AHA moisturizer. Someone talk me out of it, please... eusa_wall.gif

-Julie

Those seeing increase in breast size, how much are you taking? I've been taking 450 mg. a day and it has totally normalized my irregular periods, but I wouldn't mind seeing some increase in the boob department.

My acne seemed to be a little better with it too, but I saw huge improvements in my skin since after taking probiotics again 2x a day for a week. Well worth the money.

Does Saw Palmetto effect a woman's period?

I have been taking it for a little over a week and i havent broken out at all and my skin looks pretty clear besides a few pimples and my oily skin (i'm also using Klaron and Natures cure bp which are really helping and yesterday i just started Natures cure pills for women). I was supposed to get my period about 4 days ago and i havent gotten it wacko.gif . I'm wondering if the saw palmetto is the reason?