Notifications
Clear all

Why is it not possible to remove scars?

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 09/24/2005 2:47 pm

It is possible to reduce acne-scarring, but not to completely remove scars. If it is possible to make them better, then why is it not possible to get them away completely? confused.gif

MemberMember
(@falnhart)

Posted : 09/24/2005 4:37 pm

I think the trick is stimulating new skin from UNDERNEATH the scars, so that the scars can eventually be elevated until they're old news. If the scar extends to the deepest layer of skin, the fat layer, then they will have to figure how to divide cells to replace the damaged tissue with new. I think this will be possible sometime in the next 100 years, which is unfortunate for us.

MemberMember
(@gumbullah-al-kafir)

Posted : 09/24/2005 4:50 pm

I got rid of my scars, tho it took over two years of chipping away at them to do it.

The trick actually is to gradually break up the old scar tissue and replace it with new collagen, that's how TCA CROSS and needling work and why they have amazing results when done right and enuf times.

MemberMember
(@herpessimplex79)

Posted : 09/24/2005 4:53 pm

I got rid of my scars, tho it took over two years of chipping away at them to do it.

The trick actually is to gradually break up the old scar tissue and replace it with new collagen, that's how TCA CROSS and needling work and why they have amazing results when done right and enuf times.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 09/24/2005 5:34 pm

But many websites tell you, that it is impossible to completely REMOVE a scar....but you say it is possible to break down the scar tissue and stimulate new collagen growth......doesn't seem to fit, does it?

MemberMember
(@gumbullah-al-kafir)

Posted : 09/24/2005 6:18 pm

really how much did this all cost?
MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 09/24/2005 8:10 pm

Gumby I recall you from gosh....probably 3-4 years ago. I think you were one of the first to advocate needling. That and tca cross are what have TREMENDOUSLY improved my scars too.

Glad to see you around.

MemberMember
(@gumbullah-al-kafir)

Posted : 09/24/2005 9:31 pm

Hey Denise!

Yeah, scar revision where the old scar tissue is gradually broken up and replaced with new collagen i.e. CROSS, needling is IMO what brings the best results in the long term, altho it often takes a long time and this is what most people don't get, they expect great results relatively quickly but dermal remodelling simply doesn't work like that, you just cannot rush the skin's regeneration to suit your set timetable, this is a slow, gradual, step-by-step process but it DOES work.

I don't come in here very often but when I do and I read a post about someone saying how needling or CROSS didn't do anything for their scars I just read on waiting for them to mention how they did it only once or twice and then just gave up because that is nearly always the case, people are impatient, tho you can't really blame them, can you?

Remember the Hare: Slow and steady wins the race. biggrin.gif

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 09/24/2005 10:33 pm

isnt fraxel like a more efficient high tech form of needling??

MemberMember
(@xaviar)

Posted : 09/25/2005 12:16 pm

biggrin.gif Gumby,

Thank you!! ...for taking the time to post in the scar forum...We need ya!...I've been vacilating in my decision to try needling or tca cross for a while now and after reading your recent posts I've finally decided to give needling a try after I read up on it a little more....................I came so close to buying some 50% TCA but have changed my mind.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 09/25/2005 1:51 pm

But when you needle your skin, won't you just create new scar tissue?

MemberMember
(@hugeman)

Posted : 09/25/2005 1:59 pm

But when you needle your skin, won't you just create new scar tissue?

MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 09/25/2005 5:16 pm

Gumby I fully agree...been working on my scars for 2 1/2 years but it's been worth it and my total "investment" has literally been about $500.00. I honestly think I could spend the $4-6,000 on Exoderm or Dermabrasian, *BUT*, I don't think my results would be any better as about 90% of my scars were/are sharp edged small pits, scarred pores, and a few boxcars.

Matter of fact, I would even go so far as to say that needling and tca cross works BEST on these types of scars.

The problem is that people want a quick fix....while I understand that to a great degree, I also believe that the least invasive, the less chance of complications.

Plus, like I always say.....much better to start slowly and less invasive than to start the TOP of the invasive scale. If you go on to other treatments after the INVASIVE treatment, more than likely you will be resistant to further treatments. There are a few exceptions to this, but generally speaking, that's the case.

I've had 4 needlings and 4 tca crosses and I'm extremely pleased. It's exactly 5 weeks since my last needling and I'm VERY HAPPY!!! And to think that in probably 2 more months I'll be even happier as my scars continue to fill in! eusa_dance.gifbiggrin.gifeusa_dance.gif

MemberMember
(@lexy)

Posted : 09/25/2005 5:19 pm

I've had 4 needlings and 4 tca crosses and I'm extremely pleased.  It's exactly 5 weeks since my last needling and I'm VERY HAPPY!!!  And to think that in probably 2 more months I'll be even happier as my scars continue to fill in! eusa_dance.gif  biggrin.gif  eusa_dance.gif

MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 09/25/2005 5:27 pm

Thanks Lexy! I appreciate it! One really severe chicken pox scar I've had on my chin since I was a young child is almost totally gone.

It was one of those scars that quite literally looked exactly like a big zero: O

In other words, the borders of the scar were totally sunken, but the skin inside the border was totally smooth and unsunken.

That is almost totally gone....the extremely sunken edges of the scar are TOTALLY gone around about 80% of the scar, with about 20% left. As for the acne scars I got needled, they are filling in well also. eusa_clap.gif

One day Lexy I hope to hear your scar revision victory story!! biggrin.gifwink.gif

Have you decided to get Exoderm?

MemberMember
(@lexy)

Posted : 09/25/2005 5:34 pm

Thanks Lexy!  I appreciate it!  One really severe chicken pox scar I've had on my chin since I was a young child is almost totally gone.

It was one of those scars that quite literally looked exactly like a big zero:  O

In other words, the borders of the scar were totally sunken, but the skin inside the border was totally smooth and unsunken.

That is almost totally gone....the extremely sunken edges of the scar are TOTALLY gone around about 80% of the scar, with about 20% left.  As for the acne scars I got needled, they are filling in well also. eusa_clap.gif

One day Lexy I hope to hear your scar revision victory story!! biggrin.gif  wink.gif

Have you decided to get Exoderm?

MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 09/25/2005 5:41 pm

Well as you know....I love and respect Dr. Rullen. Truth be known, if I had had the $$$, I probably would have gone the Exoderm route. One thing about Dr. Rullen is that he is so compassionate and really knows what he's doing. He's so passionate about helping people with acne scars. I totally respect him. All of the people who have had Exoderm with Dr. Rullen have spoken positively of their results. Most people claim between 60-70% improvement.

I live all the way in Virginia....down time, travel time, healing time, follow up visits, etc....were just simply too much for me. I have a young son and there was just simply no way for me to go to Dr. Rullen for Exoderm.

Keep us updated.

MemberMember
(@gumbullah-al-kafir)

Posted : 09/25/2005 5:56 pm

isnt fraxel like a more efficient high tech form of needling??
MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 09/25/2005 6:34 pm

shock.gif @ that before and after pic!

I can't wait until I can work on my scars. I've waited so long! I agree with Denise2 that it is best to start with the less invasive stuff and work your way up. It may take longer, but the risks are so much less and (I believe) the results are longer lasting since it is a slow restructuring.

I think needling may work on some of my scars. I have all the different scar types, so I have many procedures in my future and a long road ahead of me. At least I will be taking action, though. It has been so frustrating researching, but not being able to do anything about it.

Gumby, I had no idea you used to have scars...your posts on here are very helpful.

Anyone afraid their scars will get worse when they try scar revision? I am.

MemberMember
(@dazarooni)

Posted : 09/25/2005 7:00 pm

From that picture- did that person perform needling on themselves or did they go to derm/doc?

That looks like a 70%+ improvement.

Emmanuel- I think its natural to fear that your scars could be made worse. I think its important to be realistic when looking for improvement on scars. I'm looking for a 60% improvement with mine.

MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 09/25/2005 7:05 pm

Needling works on ALL SCAR TYPES. That's one thing I've contended many times over.

MemberMember
(@whyme)

Posted : 09/25/2005 7:19 pm

Denise, how do you find someone who does needling? Do you just call up a local tattoo artist and say 'hey, can you needle my scars?' I feel i would get a response like wth are you talking about? Also, do you think fraxel laser is a better form of needling?

MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 09/25/2005 7:57 pm

I'm not under the impression that ANY laser treatment treats scars the way that needling or cross does.

I called local permanent makeup people in my town to see if any of them knew about needling scars, and none of them did. I then got ahold of an index of permanent makeup artists in my state, and I just started e-mailing them, and that's how I found Lilian in DC.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 09/25/2005 8:04 pm

From that picture- did that person perform needling on themselves or did they go to derm/doc?

That looks like a 70%+ improvement.

Emmanuel- I think its natural to fear that your scars could be made worse. I think its important to be realistic when looking for improvement on scars. I'm looking for a 60% improvement with mine.

MemberMember
(@gumbullah-al-kafir)

Posted : 09/25/2005 8:40 pm

Scar tissue is scar tissue, no matter what type the scar is.