Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i have just started taking 3000mg of vitamin c everyday and it has been amazing at healing my skin. has anyone else used vitamin c for there acne, cause i recon that supplements of vitamins and obviously fruit 'n' veg heal acne far greater than any cream.

I find that natural vitamin C i.e from oranges works alot better then tablets. Problem is my mum refuses to buy oranges cos im the only one hwo eats them and they are expensive apparently!! doubt.gif

I find that natural vitamin C i.e from oranges works alot better then tablets. Problem is my mum refuses to buy oranges cos im the only one hwo eats them and they are expensive apparently!!  doubt.gif

eusa_eh.gif

Your body only needs ~35mg of vitamin C per day. It's a water soluble vitamin, so if you're taking any more than the RDI, your kidneys are working overtime to flush to rest of it out of your system.

Your body only needs ~35mg of vitamin C per day.  It's a water soluble vitamin, so if you're taking any more than the RDI, your kidneys are working overtime to flush to rest of it out of your system.

eusa_eh.gif

Your body only needs ~35mg of vitamin C per day.  It's a water soluble vitamin, so if you're taking any more than the RDI, your kidneys are working overtime to flush to rest of it out of your system.

Yes the R.D.A. is just a recommended amount and not something you need to really worry about if you overdose on it. In fact the body can take extremely high amounts of vitamin c because it is water-soluble which is why people do 'vitamin c flushes' (detox). By taking a high dose of vitamin c (5-15g in one go), you will induce diahrroea and flushes many supposed toxins out along with the vitamin c.

However, if you are taking vitmain c for therapeutic means (e.g. improve skin and blood vessels) then you should take around 2,000mg-3,000mg/day but no more than 1,000mg in one serving. The reason being that it is considered the body can only handle 1,000mg at one time of this vitamin, anything more and it immediately gets flushed out and thus wasted.

It's the same as drinking water. The body can handle/absorb approx. 1-2 glasses of water each hour, if you drink much more you will be going to the bathroom a lot. So when people say you should drink around 2-3 litres of water/day, they don't mean one litre for breakfast, one around lunchtime and one around dinner time. You need to drink it steadily throughout the day. This is assuming you aren't doing exercise by the way.

So don't waste your vitamin c smile.gif

However, if you are taking vitmain c for therapeutic means (e.g. improve skin and blood vessels) then you should take around 2,000mg-3,000mg/day but no more than 1,000mg in one serving. The reason being that it is considered the body can only handle 1,000mg at one time of this vitamin, anything more and it immediately gets flushed out and thus wasted.

theres absolutely nothing wrong with getting more than the rdi of vitamin c.. im pretty sure that you wont even get any of the antioxidant properties from the rdi.. most people say that 1-2g per day is a good target to hit if you want the benefits.

I get at least 3 servings on fruit per day, plus as many veggies and I can squeeze inbetween. I'm doing this for my body's sake, not my skin's sake.

Vitamin C doesn't get flushed out, it actually leaks out of the glomerular filters of the kidneys into the neighboring capsules;  afterwards, molecular pumps in the walls of the kidney tubules actually attempt to pump the vitamin C molecules BACK INTO THE BLOODSTREAM.  Because they have a natural limit to how much they can pump, they're not able to get all of it back into the bloodstream when you take large doses of C.

Do you see the significance of that point??  The kidneys don't see vitamin C as something dangerous that they need to get rid of;  quite to the contrary, they make an effort to CONSERVE vitamin C.  It's misleading to keep saying that C gets "flushed out of the system".  It LEAKS OUT, despite active attempts to conserve it.

I started taking vitamin C a few months ago, and Ive noticed an improvement in my skin. Not so many blotches. I got a juicer recently so Ive been making lots of fruit and vegetable juices too.

When I finish my university degree and become a registered dietitian, I'LL write a book and blow all these dodgy theories out of the water eusa_snooty.gif

PS: Provided you eat a balanced diet and are otherwise in reasonable physical and emotional health, you don't really need to go on any detox diets. And you don't really use any of that extra vitamin C, so your kidneys have to work overtime to flush it out or keep it in your body - both are bad for you. And I still say that's bad - especially if you end up with type 2 diabetes somewhere down the line (kidney transplant waiting lists, anyone?). AND, fibre is an antioxidant. It's cheaper than vitamin C tablets, helps you feel full, keeps your energy levels up for a while, prevents constipation, and is great for heart health.

When I finish my university degree and become a registered dietitian, I'LL write a book and blow all these dodgy theories out of the water  eusa_snooty.gif