Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silapp

Laurel's Acutane Log

I'm FINALLY going on accutane in the next couple of weeks after dealing with acne for almost 5 years. I never broke out as a teenager until I was 18. I started my long battle of prescription after presription then. I would use something and it would clear up... a few months later the zits would be back and it would be another long road to find something else that worked. I honestly beleive I have tried EVERY acne medication under the sun, twice. I mostly break out on my chin/cheek area.

I got pregnant 2 years ago and unfortunetly could not take anything for the acne. My skin was AWFUL over the nine months and left scarring. After I gave birth, I started taking antibiotics and retin-a. It got better for a little while but of course, came back. I waiting a year to go on accutane b/c I was breastfeeding. Sometimes I regret not weaning my daughter earlier, but now the time has come.

I walked into a new dermatologists office a few days ago and asked to be put on accutane - I guess the redness and scaring on my face was enough b/c she didn't even try to talk me out of it. She says if I start accutane, my skin should be clear w/in a month. Yes!!

I'm a little scared of all the side effects, but I honestly believe that it is all worth it... any risk is OK b/c I can't go on living w/ acne. I haven't felt pretty in years. I acually used to believe I was a gorgeous girl - now I just feel like a freak. I have really low self esteem and it effects my life. I don't like talking to new people and its hard for me to make friends these days. I feel like everyone is only looking at my zits.

Whats really sad is that my husband has never known me w/out acne. I guess that shows how much he really loves me but it makes me so sad too. I just can't wait to be the gorgeous woman he's never known!!!

Anyway, I just want to share my expierence b/c it helps knowing that there are other people out there dealing with this. It has helped me a lot by coming on here and listening to everyones stories and progress.

BTW, I'm Laurel, i'm 23 years old, a mom to a 15 month old daughter, and a preschool teacher.

Keep you all posted!

Laurel

post-25152-1127428003_thumb.jpg

post-25152-1127428003_thumb.jpg

thanks. smile.gif

I forgot to mention - I'm paying for the accutane and doctors visits AND bloodwork out of pocket b/c my new insurance company will not cover it because it was a pre exsisting condition!!! SOO, if anyone knows how to get discounts on the meds, please fill me in!! I know the company is no longer giving assistance. Damn, too late!!!

Laurel

Yes, I am going to take the generic brand, but even that is about $150-$200 a month.. All together w/ lab work, doctors visits, and the prescription is going to cost me about $400!! Ouch! I'll be broke for six months but it'll be worth it b/c i'll have pretty skin for the rest of my life! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I've stopped taking all my medication at this point b/c I figured, whats the point? So, my skin looks like hell. I've got about 3 big zits, one on my chin and two on my cheek. lol You know its bad when you have to put on makeup to just walk around the house!!!

Laurel

Well, I get to pick up my prescription tomorrow! I won't acually be able to have it filled until the 1st b/c I have to wait to get paid... but YAY! I'm acually going to have it in my hand tomorrow! I'm so excited. I'm just so thrilled to know that this awful stage of my life is going to be coming to an end soon.

I really hope that I will get my self esteem back and start truley believing that I am a beautiful person!

What skin care does everyone use while taking accutane? I am going on the 40mg starting dose... should I continue using my Neutrogena oil free acne wash? What about lotion - do you think I should continue using an oil-free lotion or can I use oil at this point?

Laurel

Hey, good luck! Im on month 2 on 40/mg and its finally starting to work. It was hard at first because of all the side effects but I'de say it is definately worth it, and some don't even experience side effects at all.

I'm kinda like you, my acne didn't start really badly until around 17-18 years old, and thats when it just went downhill..trying all those different prescriptions.

About your question with oil- I'de suggest using a gentle cleanser, still no oil, and the oil free lotion, too. Your skin is still prone to breakouts while on accutane.

Keep us updated ! smile.gif

laurel,

Hey, don't worry. I know exactly how you feel, I've been there also. I too am starting accutane the same time as you. Hopefully, we will get great results and soon. I probably won't start it until this weekend but I'm on 80mg/day.

Since you don't have insurance get it filled at costco if you have one or a sams club. They are the cheapest. Good luck and post your results, I'll try to do the same.

Thanks for replying and good luck to everyone!! Please, lets keep posting so we can share our progress - feel free to post on this thread! Good to hear that there are others starting out on this at the same time as me! I've been waiting SO LONG for this and I can't beleive its acually about to happen for me. I never ever thought I would be so excited about a medication!!!

My sister went on accutane last year and she had very few side effects, other than the dry skin. I hope thats a good sign for me.

I hope by December not only will my acne be gone but the red scars as well. We are going on a cruse on Jan.2 and I want to look great! I don't want to worry about the lighting (you know how your zits stand out more in certain lighting) or about pictures or having to fix my makeup perfectly all the time. I want to be able to jump out of bed w/ no make up and go for a swim... man, swimming! I haven't had my head underwater in YEARS b/c I didn't want my makeup to run off!!! Wow - so crazy when you think about how acne really effects the small, everyday stuff in your life. I just can't wait!!!!

I'm going to try to take photos to share - just don't know if i'll be too embaressed!!

Laurel

I'm in the exact same boat Laurel!

23 as well, and had pristine flawless baby skin up until I was about 18.

Back than, I probably had too much confidence for my own good... wink.gif

I've gone from being an outgoing sociable popular kid in highschool, to a reclusive college drop-out who hasn't made new friends in years and rarely goes out aside from stopping by my parent's house or to a movie with one or two close friends.

It's a horrible way to live, and compared to others on this board I realize that I don;'t have it nearly so bad... but my self-esteem is shot and I am anxious to put this all behind me!

For approx. 5 years now I've just felt stagnant. I've not done much to help my condition, not has anyone else... family, doctors, etc. I've done very little in directing my life.

Just yesterday, like you, I was prescribed Accutane by my dermatologist.

He told me that by Christmas I will never look back again!!

I'm so excited to finally start living my life and fixing this issue! I really hope that it works, but judging from most testaments, it seems to almost always help and considering my acne is quite mild at best, I'm very optimistic!!!

I guess we're sort of embarking on this together than... let's keep up to date and hopefully we'll both start to see some results and can go back to our old way of life!

user posted image

Thanks for replying and good luck to everyone!!  Please, lets keep posting so we can share our progress - feel free to post on this thread! Good to hear that there are others starting out on this at the same time as me!  I've been waiting SO LONG for this and I can't beleive its acually about to happen for me.  I never ever thought I would be so excited about a medication!!!

My sister went on accutane last year and she had very few side effects, other than the dry skin.  I hope thats a good sign for me. 

I hope by December not only will my acne be gone but the red scars as well.  We are going on a cruse on Jan.2 and I want to look great!  I don't want to worry about the lighting (you know how your zits stand out more in certain lighting) or about pictures or having to fix my makeup perfectly all the time.  I want to be able to jump out of bed w/ no make up and go for a swim... man, swimming!  I haven't had my head underwater in YEARS b/c I didn't want my makeup to run off!!!  Wow - so crazy when you think about how acne really effects the small, everyday stuff in your life.  I just can't wait!!!!

I'm going to try to take photos to share - just don't know if i'll be too embaressed!!

Laurel

Yes, I was the one that did the Zinc for awhile. I believe it calmed my acne down but didn't take it away for good. sad.gif

DAY 1

Well, I popped my first pill last night. No side effects yet, but of course, last night after I took it, every little thing that twinged in my body, i was like, OMG, was that the accutane??? So, I AM a little paranoid about the side affects, even though I was so cocky saying I didn't care. I'm mostly worried of the depression though, since I was once depressed, haven't been in years though. I put my husband and parents on "is laurel depressed?" gaurd.

My regimin is going to be:

Netrogena oil-free Acne wash morning and night

Oil of Olay (oil free) lotion morning and night

Apricot Scrub for sensitive skin when flakey

Aquafor lip ointment

My doc also prescribed something for dryness but I haven't had it filled yet - It's kind of expensive ($30) so I decided to wait until I got really dry to pick it up.

Last night I was reading some of these logs and I saw that some peoples acne came back after 6 months or a year. That TERRIFED me! What if after spending 6 months in hell and thousands of dollars, it doesn't work??? I need to discuss it w/ my doctor but does anyone know the statistics of it coming back are? My sister has been off accutane for 2 years now and her skin still looks great - so i'm hoping thas a good sign for me!!!

Laurel (who can't wait to take her next dose!!!)

DAY 1

Well, I popped my first pill last night.  No side effects yet, but of course, last night after I took it, every little thing that twinged in my body, i was like, OMG, was that the accutane???  So, I AM a little paranoid about the side affects, even though I was so cocky saying I didn't care.  I'm mostly worried of the depression though, since I was once depressed, haven't been in years though.  I put my husband and parents on "is laurel depressed?" gaurd. 

My regimin is going to be:

Netrogena oil-free Acne wash morning and night

Oil of Olay (oil free) lotion morning and night

Apricot Scrub for sensitive skin when flakey

Aquafor lip ointment

My doc also prescribed something for dryness but I haven't had it filled yet - It's kind of expensive ($30) so I decided to wait until I got really dry to pick it up.

Last night I was reading some of these logs and I saw that some peoples acne came back after 6 months or a year.  That TERRIFED me!  What if after spending 6 months in hell and thousands of dollars, it doesn't work???  I need to discuss it w/ my doctor but does anyone know the statistics of it coming back are?  My sister has been off accutane for 2 years now and her skin still looks great - so i'm hoping thas a good sign for me!!!

Laurel (who can't wait to take her next dose!!!)

Thanks Peachy for the tip - I'll look into that. smile.gif

DAY 2 (dosed last night)

Nothing new to report, still no side effects or drying. When will this happen?

Right now I have only 2 active, but fading pimples, but still a lot of red marks. You know, I think I could handle a pimple here and there if it wasn't for all the redness on my face, ya know?

Can't wait to be clear!!

I'm going to add some pictures... not clear of my zits, in one you can see the redness around the chin and the other its not in good light, but i don't have any makeup on so you can kind of tell a little where i've been breaking out. My breakouts have been so off and on though, which I guess is good.. but it always gets my hopes up! Oh yeah, and thats my beautiful daughter, Reilly. smile.gif

Laurel

post-25152-1128264165_thumb.jpg

post-25152-1128264189_thumb.jpg

post-25152-1128264165_thumb.jpg

post-25152-1128264189_thumb.jpg

DAY 4

Lips are a little dry, but not much. Probably just b/c I didn't put anything on them last night. No new zits, face is acually pretty clear!

DAY 4

Lips are a little dry, but not much.  Probably just b/c I didn't put anything on them last night.  No new zits, face is acually pretty clear!

Thank you for your reply and your compliments! I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "However, as we all know from suffering with acne, it's not how others actually perceive you that hurts, it's how you perceive yourself and how you 'think' other judge you."

It truly is a battle w/ ourselves, w/ no one else. I'm sure when everyone tells me my skin doesn't look "that bad" or "i don't care", they aren't lying... but it still pains me to look in the mirror every day and see it. I think acne is something that no one will understand unless they've had it. It is much like a disease, it cripples your soul.

Good luck to you on your program! And, thanks again.

Well, now that i've gotten all deep, I think my skin really is starting to dry out some. You can't tell by looking at it, but i've noticed when I scratch, it makes a dry sound and it rather itchy.

Laurel

Is it just my imagination or is my skin looking great already??? My skin seems to glow today, and it hasnt' done that in years. Even my husband says it looks great. Wierd. I do see a lot of tiny bumps all over my face - not zits though. I wonder if that is my skin purging itself. Time will tell I suppose.