Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissyMaz

MissyMaz's regimen log

Well guys if this doesn't work I'm just going to have to wear a facemask for life cry.gif

I'm 22 and have been struggling with acne for 10 years. I've also tried a cocktail of drugs and creams - I've been on Minocycline, Diane contraceptive pill, Roaccutane (which I think is Accutane in America), Retin- A.....you name it, I've had it sad.gif The last thing I tried was Diane which was giving me mixed results - but i didn't like the idea it was messing with my hormones on a daily basis so I went off it 4 months ago and now my face is zit deluxe redface.gif

I'm going to be following the regimen religiously just like Dan described - I find it so weird that people start off still with their own little experimentations when he stresses so many times its gotta be done his way (or the highway lol.gif ) so im not taking any risks. My younger bro is trying it with me so i'll let you know how things go with him (lucky pooh if it does work for him! it'll save him the years of suffering i went through)

Im from Australia and here's what I found in stores (and will be using) when i went on my shopping spree yesterday:

-Neutrogena Extra Gentle cleanser - AUD 11

-Benzac AC 2.5% BP gel - i checked and there's no salicylic acid stuff in there so i reckon it'll do the trick - AUD 12.50

-Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture SPF 15 AUD 11 (Couldn't find Eucerin in the 3 pharmacies i went to)

Day1 started last night

- BP gel made a Rice bubbles crackling sound on my face when i applied it lol.gif

Woke up this morning and no new zits ....WOOHOO!!!! Skin feels a bit tighter but in general not much diff. Slight redness on my cheek, zits on cheek are healing. My foundation is a bit harder to smooth over my skin because of the slight dryness...

Throughout the day - keep running to bathroom to check if a miracle has happened razz.gif Feel like i've had a facelift, my face feels so tight! Not dry so much - but tight. Had to use a blotting cloth midday coz of the oil slick on my face but thats nothing new. Noticed slight peeling on the side of my face at that point.

So much self control required - must.....not.....touch.....face cool.gif

Day 2

Am a bit worried that Benzac AC isn't going to be a good substitute after reading the International forum section so I've ordered some of Dans BP gel...

This morning there was the start of a small zit on the side of my nose but otherwise no other newbies...putting on foundation made my skin flake a bit - seems to be happening mostly above my lip and the edges of my forehead.

Was horrified to notice this morning that my bro and I are dying my Mums towels a lovely orange colour from the BP that was on our faces the night before *guilty* redface.gif Quickly hid them away and have decided to use good quality paper towels instead for the dry patting. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this an indication I should be washing my face a bit more?

Face feels pretty dry and tight atm....

Guest Marino

Hey Missy,

I'm doing the regime on my back right now, and im using Benzac, trust me- Dans BP gel is much cheaper.

1 tube of benzac only lasts me like 5 days, which totally sucks considering its like 18 dollars a tube and im only on part time.

Heres some advice i can give after 3 weeks of using it that shouldn't contradict anything Dans says:

-Dont be affraid to moisturize in the afternoon as well, my arms get dry around 2-4 oclock.

-Stay outa the sun cause this stuff does make you more sensitive

-Make sure it dries up and you wash your hands before you touch your clothes [though i haven't bleached nothin so faar eusa_eh.gif , must be the benzac version]

- your treated area might turn brownish/tanned colour. This unlike the redness and ithciness ect wont just go away unless you stop using it. I actually dont mind it, though not everyone gets this [seems rare anyway].

And remember to give the regime 3 full months of religous application before you diss it.

Acne takes 2/3 months to form [for the exception of hormonal and allergic reaction acne] so you'd have to give any treatment at least 3 months.

When i was doing the regime on my face years ago, i noticed i saw results after 6 weeks and wasn't clear untill just over 3 months.

Take care and i'll be sure to drop by to give any support/advice i can give.

Good luck!

Guest Marino

LOL, i thought you didn't read my reply in the Australian thread so i repeated alot of stuff above.

Its too late at night to edit it, just use your imgaination instead razz.gif

Thanks Marino for the advice and support - I really appreciate it ! I'm definitely gonna wash my hands carefully before I touch any clothing- must be so much harder for you coz you're treating your body....lol that works out to be a lot of white outfits you gotta plan out smile.gif Anyway its great to know things are going well on the regimen for you - it'll help to keep me going when I get lazy lol.gif

Day 3

Dry dry dry. Flaky flaky flaky. I have some serious dandruff happening on my face lol....especially along the hairline where the BP ends.

I actually caught myself fantasising today what it would be like to dip my whole face in a huge vat of moisturiser wacko.gif

Putting on foundation was a nightmare - my face kept falling off with it so I had to keep re-moisturising to plaster my face back on....thank god theres no redness! However my face has the texture of orange peel...yikes...im getting scared but must hang in there doubt.gif

No new zits, the one developing on my nose yesterday seems to have been scared by the BP *woohoo* Man but this dryness is yeeeuk. I upped the BP a tiny bit yesterday so i reckon im gonna have to stay on this amount for awhile to get used to it.

Day 4

Boy am I feeling blue cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Must have jinxed myself by saying I was glad there were no red bits yesterday! My boyfriend says I look sunburnt....lol and its been a bloody cold Spring so I cant tell people its that!

Im peeling like crazy - feel like a snake losing its outer skin. My skin still looks like an orange peel texture evil.gif i feel like a freaking LIZARD!!!!!!!!

So tempted to give up but ....must....keep....going.... cry.gif

Guest Marino
Thanks Marino for the advice and support - I really appreciate it ! I'm definitely gonna wash my hands carefully before I touch any clothing- must be so much harder for you coz you're treating your body....lol that works out to be a lot of white outfits you gotta plan out  smile.gif  Anyway its great to know things are going well on the regimen for you - it'll help to keep me going when I get lazy  lol.gif
Guest Marino
What was the TCA peel for? TCA is pretty heavy stuff - its used in the health profession to stop surgical bleeding!

Day 5

Ok pre-warning to anyone who wants upbeat, happy, enthusiastic encouragement - STOP READING!!!!!! Ignore this post coz its a weak moment evil.gif

Woke up this morning, washed, BP-ed, moisturised, foundation. All in semi-dark coz I didn't want to see what i looked like.

Just before I left the house, caught a look of myself in the mirror and ALMOST DIED. I swear - I had to stifle a scream. sad.gif I looked like a leper with a white fluffy beard - no joke. Bawled my eyes out all the way to uni in the car. evil.gif

What do I look like? Im extremely red, face is slightly swollen, LOTS of flaking everywhere and millions of little bumps all over my skin that weren't there before (what the hell are they? someone please tell me?)

TOTALLY broke the no-touch rule - I full on went on a huge flurry of de-flaking my face for about half an hour and then was disgusted to find my black jacket covered in face dandruff. redface.gif

I'm studying to be a health professional and so I got to wear a face mask most of the day but anytime it wasn't appropriate to wear one I was so ashamed, I mumbled to people and stared at my shoes all day (at least they were nice ones lol). My patients must have been freaking scared lol.giflol.gif

The clinical head said my face looked "so puffy" and that I had a "weird expression on your face all day". Thats coz my FACE IS FALLING OFF YOU EVIL WOMAN!!!!!! evil.gif My bro looked at me and called me a freak tonight. Go the family support lol.gif

My self-esteem is rock bottom. Man this is worse than PMS lol.giflol.gif

OK guys only positive point - i have ZERO zits! woohoo!!

However Im laying off the BP tonight and tomorrow morning - my face hurts so much and man, I need to be seen in public with a smidgen of dignity. But i do promise to be back on tomorrow night biggrin.gif So stay tuned tomorrow for return of the freak biggrin.gif

>Was horrified to notice this morning that my bro and I are dying my Mums towels a >lovely orange colour from the BP that was on our faces the night before *guilty* >:redface: Quickly hid them away and have decided to use good quality paper towels >instead for the dry patting. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this an indication I >should be washing my face a bit more?

Don't use paper products on your skin, ouch. I've made that mistake before. If you dye the towels, well, do the laundry. razz.gif You will know which couple of towels to use if they are dyed. Make sure to wash towels every three days at least to keep away the germs.

What kind of makeup do you use? How do you apply it? Is it the same applicator every time? I have to use a different sponge everytime or I break out. I gave up on powder, that gets painful and just makes me look flaky, too.

One thing that might help, when you aren't too irritated, is just steam your face. Just take a bowl of hot (Not boiling), sit at the table and put your face over it, with a towel covering you up. That steam will clean you out. I like to put int in my water. You could use eucalyptus :-) I don't know if your brother would want to do something so girly ;-)

I'm with ya woman. You can do it!

hey there

I've totally been there with the facial dandruff/beard thing.

The only thing which kept me going was that I had bought 6 tubes of dan's bp gel and I would have wasted all that money if I had quit.

It took about 1.5 weeks for the worst of the flakiness to subside, and it was pretty hellish. The only thing I can suggest that if it is really getting you down, wait until you have a break from uni and start then. One week of not having to face too many people is good.

It does get so much better though, I have just got through my breakout period with only one zit cropping up at a time, that is totally unheard of for me.

chin up biggrin.gif

hey there

I've totally been there with the facial dandruff/beard thing.

The only thing which kept me going was that I had bought 6 tubes of dan's bp gel and I would have wasted all that money if I had quit.

Guest Marino

Hey Missy,

Your soo lucky you dont get redmarks, LOL-im sooo jelous... bitch eusa_shifty.gif

Anyway, you seem pretty down about not being able to use makeup with the regime.

The good part is, after 3 months of using it persistantly, and you skin is totally clear, you can take away one of the variables.

Meaning you can only apply BP once a day instead of both day and night.

That way if your having a normal day, just apply BP at night where no one would know.

If your gonna go out at night, just slap some BP on in the morning, this is what i do with my topical retinoid as it makes my forehead look a bit dry/rough/little bit more red.

And your going to uni? Thats great, i applied today- hopefully ill get in, but i think i might have to change my prefernces around cause some uni's are alot easier to get into. Just think of it, by the time christmas and summer comes along you skin will be all clear and adapted to the BP gel and youll be parting it up like no tomorow cool.gif

Take care

Day 6

Last night I moisturised twice before I went to bed....then I woke up at 4am and decided to moisturise again. biggrin.gif Paid off a tad coz I was a little less flaky - but thats prob more due to not using BP last night!

No BP this morning. Still a million bumps, less red, still flaky mainly around the mouth....check with my bro - yep im still a freak sad.gif

Its quite strange - my skin is oily yet flaky all at the same time. I need to use blotting sheets to mop up the excess oil, but i cannot IMAGINE not using moisturiser!

Skin feels tight still - like I've had a facelift...but less tight than the other days when I've had BP on. VERY ITCHY. Insanely itchy. I'm tempted to go all out on a scratching spree each minute of the day. Meanwhile my brother (also on the regimen) looks SO NORMAL!!!! I'm so mad at him!!!!!! grrrr!!!!

Emotionally, I'm still miserable but less miserable than yesterday. I'm starting to question whether I'd rather have acne than go through this suffering - my skin looks like that of a 35 year old, not a 22 year old!

Copped a "Are you alright? Your face looks really hot and red" comment today from a male friend at uni. Great. Whoopee.

I love my dog. He hasn't said a thing biggrin.gif

No new zits - I'm going to put a teeeeeeeeny tiny bit of BP on my forehead tonight coz I dont have uni tomorrow and see how that goes.

Anyhow - Marino, TuesdayEve and Dusta you've all made my day so much brighter with your comments - thanks heaps eusa_clap.gif

no problem :-)

We do appear to have slightly different skin, because my chin is not oily, although my nose and forehead are, and that is why I thought the worst of the flakiness was on my chin.

I found that the flakiness started to go in cycles, so once the worst of it was over, it would clear up for a few days and then go flakey for about a day, then clear up again. This might have had something to do with my moisturising tho, but I don't really think so.

After being three weeks on the regimen I started with an AHA moisturiser (started with miniscule quantities because my skin is rather sensitive) and a week later I think this is indeed helping, and I am only on 50 % strength at the mo (I mix it in with my normal moisturiser).

So there are ways to help with the flakiness! But Dan doesn't recommend using AHA until you have been doing the regimen about 3 weeks.

If you get down, do some log reading. Mamu has been doing it for ages and has seen some good results. It helps I think to know that others have been through it and have popped out the other end

Day 7

Ok i put a teeeeeeny bit of BP on my forehead last night. This morning a lot of the peeling/redness around my cheeks/nose/around lip had gone - YAY! My skin is thanking me for giving it a bit of a break smile.gif

Think i going to give my skin a bit of a break for 2 days then pop some BP again. I think my skin is just way too sensitive to be dealing with a tonne of BP twice a day to start off with...gonna have to take this baby slow lol.gif

My forehead is itchy as hell with some redness....still millions of little bumps everywhere. No uni today but my aunt came over this morning and commented....grrr im not even safe at home! evil.gif

Im feeling a bit better today....probably more neutral.gif rather than the doubt.gif yesterday. But hey thats heaps better than the cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif X100000 I felt a few days earlier!

Just one very tiny zit today - doesn't really count coz you cant see it - its in the fold between my nose and cheek....so im not too bothered lol. i'll zap it with a little BP tonight.

Cant believe i've only hit the end of week 1 and

1. i look like a monster

2. im feeling quite disillusioned

3. zapped of self esteem

But dont worry folks, im still gonna power on... eusa_whistle.gif

good on ya.

And I don't use the eucerin. I wouldn't mind trying it but we don't get it here either.

I am using the neutrogena healthy skin lotion and I haven't heard much about it, because everyone seems to use the eucerin, but it is going ok. Apparantly it is stronger than the eucerin though, so you have to go easy on it

good on ya.

And I don't use the eucerin. I wouldn't mind trying it but we don't get it here either.

I am using the neutrogena healthy skin lotion and I haven't heard much about it, because everyone seems to use the eucerin, but it is going ok. Apparantly it is stronger than the eucerin though, so you have to go easy on it

Day 8

Not much drama today! Forehead is peeling the most and is incredibly itchy!!! Made the mistake of wearing a hat today to do some shopping BUT the rubbing from the hat on my forehead was making the itch 100000000 times worse....so there's a tip guys - steer clear of hats that'll make you itch lol.gif

Zit count: 1....same one from yesterday. Except coz my forehead is so bumpy i'm not sure if the bumps are BP bumps or a million zits (please let it be the first!). Guess i'll find out soon once the itchiness goes down.

I was discussing BP at the dinner table with my bro today (who's also on the regimen) and my other bro overheard and asked what BP was. I told him Beautiful People....lol....coz thats what I hope this regimen will turn me into.... biggrin.gif