Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I hope this e-mail finds everyone well. Just a small recap for everyone explaining my condition: I am a 20 year old male with moderate acne scarring. I still have a mild case of acne, but nothing bad. Just a few pimples here and there. I have tried basically every topical cream you can think of, every regimine, and researched every procedure very carefully. I have decided to take the natural approach as far as topical applications are concerned. Instead of using fancy creams during the night and day, I simply wash with a very simple neutrogena bar every morning and every night. At night I apply aloe vera directly from a plant in my apartment. I have only been doing this for the past few days. However, I have seen pretty nice results so far. I am very happy that I am off those complex creams that seem to contain a good amount of chemicals in them. But I am not trying to put anyone else down. They simply were not working for me. If they work for you then more power to you. I recently talked to a doctor who performs smoothbeam in new jersey and she said that my face was not nearly bad enough for procedures like subcision or resurfacing. She uses microdermabrasion in conjuction with smoothbeam and the yag laser to rid people of acne and acne scarring. She uses the smoothbeam to stimulate collagen and the yag to help with redness. She charges $2200 for 5 sessions of these treatments. Each session contains the three treatments. I can't thinik of anyone better to ask about this. I was wondering if you guys think this is worthwhile? The doctor says she thinks my scars will most likely be almost completely gone in 5 months and that I will see significant results after my second treatment. I know its a lot of money, but I am willing to pay if it means riding myself of this burden. Sorry about the length, I am just very cautious about these matters. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Keep fighting my friends. Fight until hell freezes over...then fight on the ice.

Mark

Just a question; are you talking about the Erbium:Yag? If so, how can it help with the redness??

IF it's the Erbium:Yag laser she was talking about be aware that this is an ablative laser. It can cause both hyper- and hypopigmentation. I'm not saying it won't work but you should always be cautious with ablative lasers...

If I were you I might try the SmoothBeam first. I don't know whether or not microdermabrasion helps with scarring - it's basically a rapid exfoliation of dead skin. I would definitely hold of on the erbium yag until you:

a) find out more about it,

B) see if the SmoothBeam works first.

That sounds like an excellent nonablative treatment. It is one of the more comprehensive packages I have heard of performed by one doc, and the price sounds fair.

YAG stands for "Yttrium Aluminum Garnet" and does not necessarily mean erbium YAG. The wavelengths and characteristics can vary, and the one she is using is more likely a pulsed dye laser, specifically used to target the redness.

That sounds like an excellent nonablative treatment.  It is one of the more comprehensive packages I have heard of performed by one doc, and the price sounds fair.

YAG stands for "Yttrium Aluminum Garnet" and does not necessarily mean erbium YAG.  The wavelengths and characteristics can vary, and the one she is using is more likely a pulsed dye laser, specifically used to target the redness.

Great post Mark! And I agree that this is becoming a popular course of treatment along with the SBeam.

I Will Beat This, check out these old post about SBeam. I am having this combo of treatment along with the VBeam laser.

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php...ighlight=#29821

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=4113