Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
will205

Moisturiser on scars

My skin is dry and really i don't do much maintenance. I was afraid to use a moisturiser feeling it would make my dermatitis and scarring look worse.

Anyway i was told to wash my face then moisturise twice daily because my skin is really dry and it is winter here.

I bought the cetaphil products because they are designed for flaky, dry, dermatitis and acne prone skin. My regular derm also recommended them.

I have been using the facial cleanser and then i apply the moisturiser lotion. My overall skin tone looks better and clearer but my scars-especially the big pit looks a bit more noticeable.

When my skin was dry i think the dried dead skin cells were masking my scar a bit making it look less noticeable. Now since the dead skin has gone the scar is a bit more exposed.

So my question is. Should i keep moisturising my skin and scars. Maybe my skin will thank me in the long term if i keep it up although it makes the scars more evident in the short term.

Thanks if you can reply.

Yes, I think you should keep moisterising - and you should try the emu oil by skin biology, it's fantastic. Also - before doing that, try some pure Manuka Honey on the very dry areas - wash off after an hour (as it's too sticky to sleep with) and then apply the emu oil.