Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cipher

Chicken Pox scars Help *Pics*

I have had chicken pox scars on my face since I was 12 years old. Some are deep while others are shallow. THe one on my forehead is the deepest. I am guessing that they are considered boxscars?

I am looking at ways to improve the scars, maybe by using some laser resurfacing. There is a place that I have talked to who use a sciton laser, but I have not heard good things about it. Although it may be useful to soften the edges of the scars.

I have also thought about doing some dermabrasion on the whole face, to take care of it all. Any suggestions?

Realistically dermabrasion alone will not resolve your scars that much especially for the price. The best approach for you might be excision (cutting out the scars and stitching the skin back together) first to remove the deeper scars, this leaves smaller and smoother scars that are much closer to skin level. After you are healed then the dermabrasion would be worth it to smoothout the excision scars and the more minor scars in general.

Have you talked to a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon?

Colin

Cipher, I agree with idbinvs. Excision is the way to go--I think. The down time is about one week. Where are you located? I had six excisions done for $300 and felt that the residule scars were no problem. No need for laser resurfacing or dermabrasion to smooth things out. My doc is called a "dermatologic & cosmetic surgery" doc. He is in the Memphis, TN area. You might be surprised how fast you could be scarfree. Best Wishes! eusa_angel.gif

punch excision would be a good option for your type. make no mistake about it though, it will be red for a few months at least. Yours are not all that bad, they are probably fixable assumming you have $ to spend. Punch excise the worst ones, and see about a dermal filler like restylane for whatever is left over. Most importasnt is to find a good doc, it makes all the difference. I have had excision from 2 different surgeons, with completely different results. Do your homework, find the best available within say 50 miles in any direction from where you live.

Cipher, you're in a good position compared to most of us because your scars are concentrated, and most of your skin is scar-free. Listen to the other posters who recommend excision and don't get your face resurfaced or peeled. That would be a total waste and a huge risk. In my opinion, the more unscarred skin you have, the better. Big scars can be improved, but thousands of small ones covering large areas means you're ruined for life.

Long time lurker, first time poster smile.gif

trieditall, can you give me the name of your doc in town. I live in Memphis, TN and have scars virtually identical to these. Also, any pictures of your before and after (or hell, just after?) $300 is nothing even if its only a 25% improvment.

Thanks a million!

Cipher,  I agree with idbinvs.  Excision is the way to go--I think.  The down time is about one week.  Where are you located?  I had six excisions done for $300 and felt that the residule scars were no problem.  No need for laser resurfacing or dermabrasion to smooth things out.  My doc is called a "dermatologic & cosmetic surgery" doc.  He is in the Memphis, TN area.  You might be surprised how fast you could be scarfree.  Best Wishes! eusa_angel.gif

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am actually going into a plastic surgeon on wednesday for a consultation.

I am pretty optimistic from what I have read on this forum and other sites that excision is the best option for me. Its really only the big pox marks that bother me and I do not want to damage my skin any more than it has been.

This will be the doctor I am going for my consultation for:

http://www.torontofacialplastic.com/about.htm

He seems to do quite a few procedures in relation to scar revision so I am hoping he is good. It is difficult finding plastic surgeons that do excision, so I'm hopin this ones not a dud. I am still very weary of any plastic surgeon so anybody have any tips, questions, advice that related to the consultation?

BTW I will try to post pics as I progress.

Well I went to seee the plastic surgeon that I posted. He told me that my three options would be 1) Excision 2) Dermabraion 3) Filler. He then said that the excision and dermabrasion have quite long recvery times and I should consider a filler like dermalive.

I said that I could some recovery time, and talked about excising most of the bigger ones, he seems to know what he is doing. He talked about using the faces natural lines to put the new excision scars. I was thinking about dermabrading some areas on my face, but am now thinking that this may be a risky move considering the downtime, additional scars, and pimentation.

I am thinking that I will excise most of the scars and use an dermalive on the smaller oner that it would work well for.

He seems like a good surgeon but I am insure if he is good enough? He said that excision with some dermabrasion should cost around $1000 CAD. I am going to go to a dermatologist to see what they have to say.

Anyone have any experience with dermalive, I searched but there was not too many posts.

Cipher,

I am glad to see you are making headway on your decisions. The excision sounds best for the deeper sharp edged scars and I am glad the surgeon pointed out the need to match facial lines. Just make sure he uses enough stitches or closures so the skin doesn't split open during healing. I have heard this can happen and a bigger excision is required to patch it back up.

As for the dermalive how long does he say that will last?

$1000 CAD sounds pretty damned reasonable. I think you will be happy with the out come. Definitely keep us updated.

Colin

Well that kind of bothered me cuz he said that the dermalive would be permanent, and I have obviously researched it on the the internet and it says it lasts several years.

I didnt like that he would say that, as I would prefer a doctor who is giving me the truth instead of sugar coating it. Maybe he just meant that it would last quite a while??

Anyways Im gonna talk to one other surgeon just to get some perspective.

Oh ya, and he said that he preferred not doing punch grafts because the skin color of the graph sometimes would not match plus problems with infections.

He also said the excisions would be fusiform, kinda shape of a football, and he would not use a punch but a scalpel. This seems better to me so that the skin would be easier to hold together.

Maybe you should consider tca-cross. These scars are similar to ice picks from acne scarring. i have 7 picks like that on my forehead and a few on my cheek.

I haven't tried the cross yet but im stocking some cross and tca peel soon. Alot of people have shown alot of improvement with this method. And it's cheap.

I will post the progress of course soon enough!

I was thinking of doing the excision first to remove the big indents left by the chicken pox scars. These would be very difficult to get rid of using other methods.

After I have done the excisions I may do a dermabrasion or chmeical peel. This would make my skin smoother and get rid of the smaller scars. But I am weary of doing something like that since I would hate to make my skin worse. I will see how I feel after the excisions.

Cipher, This sounds like a good plan. Also, the $1000 canadian sounds good. I think your doc may have told you the filler is permanent because as far as they know it is permanent. Test on that filler probably indicate that it is, but they don't have any patients who have actually had the filler longer than the product has been available. Does that make sense? Best Wishes to you! Please let us know your results. eusa_angel.gif

I dont know, its hard to find a good doctor, or figure out who is good. Doctor Gantous seemed like he knew quite abit about scar revision, and his price seemed right. But I was talking to my mom about it, she used to be a nurse, and she doesnt think he is a good doctor mainly because it was so easy to get an appointment and his main office is in a hospital instead of a posh location. Also his idea of using dermalive injections and saying they are permanent. I asked him to email me pictures of excisions and the injections and he said he would get back to me but he never did.

Most doctors I have called about a consultation have said i could get an appointment early january. I have some time off now, so I want to get this taken care of. I have an appointment with Dr Solomon at the end of this month. Here is his site http://www.solomonfacialplastic.com/about.htm#

My plan as of now is still to get excision, since i can get good results on my bigger pocks if the doc is good. Then I may do a spot dermabrasion, or tca peel, I am also kinda interested in a medical microderma. Do you have chicken pox scars as well? If you know of any good doctors let me know, and I'll try and keep you posted.

Hi,

I too also live in Toronto and I know its hard to find a decent doctor for scar revision. I'm not sure about excision with this guy, but I would ask for pictures. Another thing too is don't be fooled by the posh location crap. I went to see two doctors at posh loctations to fix my scars (dermabrasion and laser resurfacing) and they were not that trustworthy to me at all (especially the laser lady) I am terribly confused on what to do about my skin, but I think peels (mild w/supercop) will be my next step and then needling. Who knows I might not do anything at all as my scars are not that bad. From what I gather from this board, punch floats with doctor Y is one of the best methods in removing pitted scars. Anyway, speak with your derm and try to see as many docators as you can and as much research as possible before doing anything. Also try to get second opinions on what to do.

Realistically dermabrasion alone will not resolve your scars that much especially for the price.  The best approach for you might be excision (cutting out the scars and stitching the skin back together) first to remove the deeper scars, this leaves smaller and smoother scars that are much closer to skin level.  After you are healed then the dermabrasion would be worth it to smoothout the excision scars and the more minor scars in general.

Have you talked to a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon?

Colin

These are the doctors I have found on the internet, when I called to book an appointment the receptionist said that they did excision.

Dr Hong (found him from another post on this site)

http://www.drcolinhong.com/about_dr.html

The person who refered him on this site had excisions done by him. He also does hair transplants, and the tool that is used to make the plugs is also the one used for punch excision.

Dr.Sean Rice

http://www.doctorseanrice.com/

His site seemed really good and has procedures that he lists he performs(chemical peel, fillers, dermabrasion, fat inj, microderm, scar revision, laser) So I figured that a doctor who performed all these metods would at least be good for a consultation if only to get his opinion.

And lastly Dr Solomon

http://www.solomonfacialplastic.com/

Dont really know why I decided to go with him, he seems to do alot of rhinoplasty(nose jobs). But he also lists that he does scar revision and mole removal, as well as injectables. I got a consultation with him at the end of october so I might as well see what he says.

I also had that consult with Dr Gantous but he did not exactly make me feel as confident in his skills. He seems like a Dr that is like ya ya ya ill do that for you, and then rushes through the procedure. I don't know, he's pretty cheap and a surgeon so I may end up goin with him.

Check out their sites and let me know what you think. If you know of any other doctors or decide to do ur own resarch/consults let me know.