Notifications
Clear all

Sodium chloride / Salt

MemberMember
(@balloonhead)

Posted : 09/14/2005 5:26 am

How come sodium chloride (salt) has a comedogenic rating of 5 out of 5 (worst) and people say sea salt helps their acne....or people use salt in steaming...does it or does it not clog pores?

MemberMember
(@kapp)

Posted : 09/14/2005 6:46 am

How come sodium chloride (salt) has a comedogenic rating of 5 out of 5 (worst) and people say sea salt helps their acne....or people use salt in steaming...does it or does it not clog pores?

I've wondered about this too.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 09/14/2005 10:12 am

I've wondered about this too.

Me Too!!!

Before I discovered the ZeroZits article, I was using salt as a scrub....I didn't notice any breakouts - but now I'm terrified of anything with sodium chloride listed in it.

The standard for comedogenicity testing is to swab the substance on the inside of a white rabbit's ear....are our faces really the same as the inside of a rabbit's ear?

hmmm...

MemberMember
(@balloonhead)

Posted : 09/14/2005 4:03 pm

bum bump bump it up

MemberMember
(@graphite)

Posted : 09/14/2005 5:15 pm

is there a site that telsl you this i would be interestde at looking at it.

MemberMember
(@balloonhead)

Posted : 09/15/2005 3:29 pm

no1 got any ideas?

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 09/15/2005 4:24 pm

The only thing I can think of is that what the researchers observed was not true acne, rather small blisters... or our skin reacts completely differently from the rabbits in the case of salt... but that's all I've got. I would really like to know though - anyone??

MemberMember
(@serena95)

Posted : 05/25/2016 1:33 pm

salt is different from sea salt. Sodium Chloride (Table salt) has lots of iodide which has been found to be complete crap for acne/acne prone skin, however sea salt is pure from the sea water and non-iodinized, which allows the beneficial minerals to help the skin be exfoliated/rejuvenated quicker.