Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wishfulthinkin

does diabetes cause acne?

I'm just curious b/c my doctor thinks I may be diabetic. I'm going to have my blood sugar level tested. What does acne have to do with insulin levels? Does anyone know? Could this be why I'm still getting acne in my late twenties even though my parents and my younger brother don't seem to have much of a problem? eusa_wall.gif Thanks for any input. biggrin.gif

Hey, well there is some research being conducted into it, although nothing is proved as yet.

I am a type one brittle diabtec, it means i am insulin dependant and have to regulate what type of sugars I eat at all times. I imagine in your situation your being tested for type two diabetes? type one normally comes on very suddenly and often results in a diabetic coma in babies, youths or adolescents whereas type two has a much more steady come on and can be alot easier to maintain (still not easy though, say hi to sugar free foods) you have nothing to worry about, it really isn't that bad if you find out you are diagnosed, it can come as abit of a shock at first but it becomes routine very easily.

Anyway diabetes and acne. It is though that diabetics often suffer with body acne more that other types (i only have it on my chest) it often doesn't feature with extreme oiliness and other typical acne symptoms. As diabetics have a slower healing rate than others it is important to eat very well, this means in your diet lots of vitamin C but be careful of fructose it still counts. I am not sure what type of acne you suffer with. Chances are cystic? Older reseach which is still publicised by most heath authorties is that diabetics can get boils at a much higher rate than others. By researchers right now it is thought that this statment actually incorporated acne into this count because of the high proportion of sufferers and the lack of acne research at this time (most of it was conducted in the 70's).

My derm in Cardiff (i have moved a way so am no longer part of it) was conducting research for Cardiff university hospital. He often told me about what was going on aswel as asking me to be a subject along with his other diabetic patients.

I'm not too sure what to think I do think that diabteics are more at risk, but i think this is because of the risk of infection and slow healing. Also the increase in type two diabetes is often associated with poor diet which as many poeple on here have show it can be an indicator (not saying you have a poor diet, there are many reasons, thats just the one most commenly associated). I have ended up doing a course of accuntane, though that itself took a very long time to work on me as I dont have oily skin at all, but all other options had been tried. I would be tempted to go the diet approach intially especially as you will find your diet wil change dramatically if you are diagnosed. You will really have to watch what you eat and you will be able to think abit more about what is going into your body although its likely to intiate a breakout at first.

Feel free to post if you got anymore questions, I really dont know what to write all at once.

Guest mishmosh

He could be testing you for Polycystic ovary Syndrome too

Im sure you would have a of symptoms if you were diabetic so I wouldnt worry

He could be testing you for Polycystic ovary Syndrome too

Im sure you would have a of symptoms if you were diabetic so I wouldnt worry

This is as simple as it gets:

Refined carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne

Cut off the refined carbs and sugar and see your acne get much better.

Guest mishmosh

chuckle. I went on a sugar free diet once as I was diagnosed with candida. made no difference to my spots

Right. From what I know, research is constantly changing here, Type I Diabetics are LESS prone to gettng acne than Type II Diabetics. This may be because of the mechanisms on how Insulin and IGF-1 works, which Type I's lack (so they take injections to provide for it). Whereas Type IIs make these in ABUNDANCE, until one day the pancreas sufferers burnout and then Type IIs behave more like Type Is (why you hear some type IIs respond favorable to insulin injections).

So the way Glucose Intolerance works is here

The Five Stages of Diabetes

Stage 1 - insulin resistance (IR) only

Stage 2 - IR, plus hyperinsulinism (HI)

Stage 3 - IR, HI, plus abnormalities in a GTT

Stage 4 - Type II diabetes, with high insulin levels

Stage 5 - Type II diabetes, with low insulin levels

There isn't a great deal of official evidence actually, although i am in absolute agreement that it has contributed to my cystic acne and the scarring, as diabetics are slower to heal.