Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gtfarley1229

Is saltwater good for body acne?

My mom used to always tell me to go swim in the beach b/c saltwater is good for zits. I was never a believer, cuz if it were true, I'd be floating across the gulf of mexico on my back. :)

So what do u people think?

It's been true in my case. I went to the Bahamas for a week, and while I was there, all I did was wash my face twice a day. I did a lot of swimming, diving, and surfing, and also got a lot of sun. I got one tiny little pimple the whole time I was there and my back and chest were also spotless. It stayed pretty good for a little while after I came back, only to start getting progressively worse again. :)

I also found that my face clears up every year when I go to the beach. I think it's from the drying affects of the sun and salt water that's why the clearness is temporary and it gets worse when you get home. Salt is also known to be one of the best healers but not table salt.

Is the acne aggravation when you get home caused from the Sun exposure? Do you guys use the SPF lotion when you go to the beach? Or do you go without anything on? (hehe, i'm not talking skinny dipping, lol! :))

I think it's from the drying affects of the sun and salt water that's why the clearness is temporary and it gets worse when you get home.

Then how come I don't get clear in the winter, when the sun is strongest? [it's strongest because it reflects off the snow.]

And why doesn't table salt help?

Yes i also found that it worked wonders the reason being is the drawing action of the salt as well as the drying. A good winter remody although not as effective as the beach water, is "epsom Salts" in your bath water also helps to draw the infection to the surface to therefore speed healing. MODERATE sun can also help to dry but keep in mind that it can also make matters worse and cause some serious scarring. so use sunscreen!!!

good luck

Amy

First of all bluescreen, the reason why your acne doesnt get better in the winter is because your not out in the sun for long enough to get tan. How many people do you know that get a darker tan in the winter? Nobody does. I would bet that any case of acne clearing when on vacation is from the high amount of sun exposure. I used to go tanning every other day because it keeps my skin clear. Even when going to a dermatologist my skin didnt clear until I started tanning all of the time.

There is definitely something healing about sea salt. It's the best thing to use on a new piercing, and you can pick it up at the grocery store. I guess I should take more advantage of the beach as it's only 15 minutes away, huh?

Hey Nymue, your on the east coast man. How's the temp of the water there? I'm on the west coast, but the beaches are not as good unless you go further south.

Florida rocks man! 8)

First of all bluescreen, the reason why your acne doesnt get better in the winter is because your not out in the sun for long enough to get tan.  How many people do you know that get a darker tan in the winter?  Nobody does.  I would bet that any case of acne clearing when on vacation is from the high amount of sun exposure.  I used to go tanning every other day because it keeps my skin clear.  Even when going to a dermatologist my skin didnt clear until I started tanning all of the time.

Thanks for clearing that up.

But I think I read somewhere, probably this site, that sun will increase your acne, although make it look better....

and I think I gotta get me some Epsom Salts.

Guest fatman_uk

But I think I read somewhere, probably this site, that sun will increase your acne, although make it look better....

The sun will clear up acne for about 2-3 weeks max once ur tanned, by reducin the oils in ur skin... yada yada yada..... then after that the oil factory in ur face with crank up an work HARDER, like its makin up the overtime that it lost by u shuttin production down with the tan.

Sumtimes wish my oil glands would go on strike....

-Gaz

Ive never seen that happen with me as far as breaking out after the tanning. But what if you just never stop going so your face cant get back to being oily 8)

Guest fatman_uk

Then ud risk all the cancer stuff an get nagged by ppl like i did, LOL :)

-Gaz

After I'm out in the sun, I notice that my skin is definitely much oilier for a day or two... still seems to help though, as my oil isn't a contributing factor to my acne. I break out mostly where I'm dry, while my super-oily forehead is 100% clear.

After I'm out in the sun, I notice that my skin is definitely much oilier for a day or two... still seems to help though, as my oil isn't a contributing factor to my acne. I break out mostly where I'm dry, while my super-oily forehead is 100% clear.

Plus, your tan should make your oil look more natural and your red acne, less red.

I was in FL for vacation a while back, and after being there about a week I came back with no acne, then it came back.

I tried to think why, and I came up with the facts that it might have been the sun, or [most likely to me] they dont' have a dog, which makes your hands oily and then you touch your face.

Now, after reading this, I think it was the Ocean.