Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ambivalent

I've been binge eating..

Ever since I got on Accutane I've been binge eating sweets and things I never once had regularly or at all for about a year because of my strict anti-acne diet. Now all I do is eat, and it is really scaring me, because I can't seem to stop myself.. I've tried, but I always end up eating more and more..even when I know I'm not hungry anymore. It isn't healthy stuff, either. I think my "deprivation" of certain foods built up for so long and now I'm going crazy..and I honestly can't control myself!

I need help, I'm afraid I'm going to gain a lot of weight if I keep this up (and I can tell I already have) which is a little discouraging because I've always been slender, yet I still can't get myself to stop.

I'de really like to go back to eating healthy and in moderation, but not as strict as I did before. I have always been health-concious and I don't know what has gotten into me.

Does anybody have any advice? Ideas? Books? Help?

Thank you so so much. =/

I know exactly what you're talking about - the whole binge eating dealio. I go on binges aswell, and I ALWAYS end up regretting them/gaining weight. It's horrible. It's like, once you start, you can't stop. You keep telling yourself you'll be "good" tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes, you're even worse! So frustrating.

Actually, I'm just coming off of a binge week/s. I've not had junk in two days! lol And yes, like you, I'm a total health nut, so this is weird for me.

Anyways, just do what I do. Don't cut out junkfood completely all one day...Slowly decrease the amount of junk you eat, day by day. And pretty soon you'll have cut out all the crap, and you won't even miss it.

Going cold turkey sometimes works, but if you've been binging for a while, I'd slowly wean yourself off, like I'm doing.

smile.gif

You're definitely not alone!

Whenever you go grocery shopping avoid the junk food sections, works for me. And before every meal drink a glass of water which will fill you up somewhat so you don't eat as much. EAT SLOW!!! When you eat too fast your body doesn't have time to tell you that it's full so you don't know when to stop. If you've eaten everything on your plate and you still feel hungry wait 20 minutes and see if you still fell hungry then. Sometimes when you think you're hungry your body wants water not food so make sure you keep well hydrated.

Good luck!

Try what jazmella and J'Adore_Dior first. If you still can't seem to control your binge eating you may need to say a professional.

this site has some info on treatements and such.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/beha...nge_eating.html

Don't feel bad though, I've known quite a few people who have had light to moderate eating disorders and as far as I know have gotten over it.

i love sweets, cakes and chocolate. I try dieting all the time but the cravings get so bad I give in. I don't have any of these thing in the house but I usually scoff it all at work. My job is boring and I sit all day so I end up binging on junk.

You should try and not think of it as 'dieting' that gets you in a deprivation mode where everything has to be healthy and low calorie and so forth. Think of it as a change to a healthier lifestyle. You don't need to necessarily cut out all junk food. Try making healthy snacks to bring to your job. Also if you tend to visit the vending machines a lot, then don't bring any change with you. If you get the munchies than have some little snacks like sunflower seeds or nuts to keep you occupied. Fruits also make a great snack. Again, keep well hydrated! And if you can't take control of it yourself, like others have said, go to a professional.

Good luck

PS: I know a lot about food and eating because a couple people in my family are nutritionists

Fruit sugar isn't bad, just like simple carbs aren't bad either. The best foods to eat are non processed foods. Try getting food as pure as you can. Just because it's diet coke it doesn't mean it's good for you. Eating wholesome unproccessed food is best.

Guest virgo

i used to have that problem, i would snack and snack way too much.. i dont know how i stopped.. it was kind of gradual... i lost weight.. i love how my body looks now

just make a conscious effort..

Hypnosis is excellent for this, it helps you feel a lot more relaxed about food like you could take it or leave it. I used Paul Mckenna's book/cd and it really helped me. Don't know if you can get it outside the UK.

Other than that exercise is a good way to help you break a bingeing habit because you'll boost your endorphins and not need the mood lift of food and you just won't feel like eating so much.

I know exactly what you mean about this though, I went to New York for the weekend a couple of years ago and oh man, the food! I bought bags of hersheys for friends and ate a couple of them myself in bed. After that, I just couldn't stop eating when I got back and that went on for ages. redface.gif Ok now though!