Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InLoveandOnTane

I'm really scared to continue birth control.

I have mild, horomonal acne, so my dermatologist prescribed orthotrycycline to me. I just started my 3rd month of it and I'm so scared about my skin getting worse. the good news is, I don't break out on my chin anymore at all. but now I am starting to break out on my cheeks (which hasn't happened for a while until now)...but when I do get a new breakout a head never forms and it just starts going down after a few days. my main problem is the red mark it leaves afterwards.

my dermatologist says that I should have birth control in my system for 3-6 months to not break out as much. I don't know if I should continue it if my cheeks are breaking out. but if I stopped using it I would probably break out on my chin again. I don't know what to do cry.gif

Though doctors can sometimes make mistakes and you should ultimately trust what you believe to be best for you, in this case I would suggest taking what your doctor said into consideration, and continuing for another couple of months before deciding.

I know it must be tough with these new break-outs. Maybe you could try something topical (gentle) to help in the meantime.

Can I ask how you know your acne is hormonal?

I always had to use topicals, even while on bc pills. I don't think anyone can expect to be totally clear from bc pills alone, unless the acne was very mild to begin with.

I agree with Searching, talk with your doc, perhaps add in a topical like bp to get the ball rolling along with clearing.

Guest *Clara

My mother was on birth control in her mid 20's when her acne flared up really bad. When she got off them she stayed relatively clear. Except for the rare pimple during menstrual cycles.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if for some, it only caused additional hormone imbalance, and then as a result, more flare-ups.

Seasofink - If, after sticking with it for a while longer, you feel it is only making things worse, it's possible that it may not be for you and that's okay. But I think it's important to try to give it more time first, especially after what your doctor said.

Though doctors can sometimes make mistakes and you should ultimately trust what you believe to be best for you, in this case I would suggest taking what your doctor said into consideration, and continuing for another couple of months before deciding.

I know it must be tough with these new break-outs.  Maybe you could try something topical (gentle) to help in the meantime.

Can I ask how you know your acne is hormonal?

Hmmm, I'm not a professional, but I don't know if that necessarily means you have hormonal acne, unless your doctor thought so.

It surprised me slightly that he would prescribe birth control if your acne was prominant on your chin only, but maybe it's a common thing for others and I simply don't know it. I'm sorry to hear that now you are having a bit on your cheeks. It could be due to your body adjusting to the BC. Personally, I would still continue for a couple of months, and if it continues, I would stop, because unless you also need the BC, I have no doubt you could find something just as effective that you could apply locally, instead of affecting the internal if it isn't needed.

I've been on BC for almost a year, now, and I personally think you need to stick with it. Birth control takes at least a month to actually start working and get in your system, so your body is doing some tough adjusting right now. If memory serves correctly, I had a weird transitional stage when I first got on it, too.

BUT, I do agree with the rest of the advice given on here so far, and I agree that if it continues past the first two months and/or gets worse, make an appointment and talk to your doctor. Don't just stop taking it, though; you'll have to start all over again.

Hope we helped! Let us know how it goes! biggrin.gif

Was this a regular doctor or a derm that thought your acne was hormonal? I was on orthotricyclen for a couple of years and had no problems with more breakouts that I can remember anyways. I've been on orthotrocylen lo for almost 2 years I guess now and I have broken out on my chin and jawline in the last year more than ever before. I don't know if it is related to the BC or what. I would stick with if for a few more months if I were you.

I'm still suffering from breakouts due to a trial period of BC. I took Yasmin and by the second week, my face was a mess. It was making me so upset that I quit after 2 weeks and I'm still breaking out. The sad thing is that I was totally clear when i started taking them. This is the second time this has happened. I started taking Orthotricylen (sp?) about 4 years ago and the same thing happened and i stuck with the pills for a few months. I just kept getting worse and worse.

Since you've taken them for a few months and have seen some improvement, I'd continue taking them and see what happens. I agree that the pills will not totally solve the skin problems, but they may help in certain people.

And yes, acne around the mouth is generally seen as 'hormonal' in women. Besides a couple bumps on my forehead, it's the only place i breakout. It gets worse the week before my period.

Different BC pills work differently on everyone, you have to try and see what works for you.

I was on diannette for ages , it cleared my acne up completely but I suffered severe depression and paranoia. I suffer with depression anyway so this just made me worse. I came of it in the end. Diannette has alot of testoterone in so it is recommended not to take it for to long.

I have the same problem, acne on my chin and it is HORMONAL related. I did not start breaking out until last year and that is when I stopped taking Ortho Tri Cyclen, it took about six months for my face to go crazy but it did. I then got on Yasmin and that cleared it somewhat but not enough, so now I am back on Ortho, note when I was taking Ortho, I would have mild breakouts nothing serious, when I stopped I didnt even want to go outside. Now I am back to my old routine, Noxzema- yes that is how mild my acne was, anyway I use Basis soap then Noxzema 2x a day and I am on my first month of Ortho and I am already clearing. Everything is clear but my chin, but that is getting better. I am using Alpha Hydro lotion for my chin and redmarks- it helps fade them. Trust me give the BC time dont get off of it, i really regret gettin off in the first place cause I went through 2 years of hell that could of been prevented, just be patient 2 pimples, that is nothing. Also try spot treating with Alpha Hydox it really fades red marks fast. Hope this helps

I was on depo-provera for about a year and that was the best year my face has ever had. But then I came off it because I was afraid of all the side-effects. about a month after I noticed my face starting to break out again. I then started looking into a more mild form of birth control... a pill version. which I did, and that worked.. but then I heard about this Natures Cure pill. So i put the BC on hold and decided to give this a try. It's been two days now, so I can't really say much. So far I haven't had any new breakouts, but it could be because I still have the BC in my system. But we'll see. I just didn't want to be on BC for soo long because I do want to start a family in the near future, and I was already on Depo for an entire year. But i do agree with the other replies and that you should wash your face at least twice a day (once in the morning.. then at night) in conjunction with the pills. Hope this helps some.

I have the same problem, acne on my chin and it is HORMONAL related. I did not start breaking out until last year and that is when I stopped taking Ortho Tri Cyclen, it took about six months for my face to go crazy but it did. I then got on Yasmin and that cleared it somewhat but not enough, so now I am back on Ortho, note when I was taking Ortho, I would have mild breakouts nothing serious, when I stopped I didnt even want to go outside. Now I am back to my old routine, Noxzema- yes that is how mild my acne was, anyway I use Basis soap then Noxzema 2x a day and I am on my first month of Ortho and I am already clearing. Everything is clear but my chin, but that is getting better. I am using Alpha Hydro lotion for my chin and redmarks- it helps fade them. Trust me give the BC time dont get off of it, i really regret gettin off in the first place cause I went through 2 years of hell that could of been prevented, just be patient 2 pimples, that is nothing. Also try spot treating with Alpha Hydox it really fades red marks fast. Hope this helps

Was this a regular doctor or a derm that thought your acne was hormonal?  I was on orthotricyclen for a couple of years and had no problems with more breakouts that I can remember anyways.  I've been on orthotrocylen lo for almost 2 years I guess now and I have broken out on my chin and jawline in the last year more than ever before.  I don't know if it is related to the BC or what.  I would stick with if for a few more months if I were you.

thank you for all of your replies. I went to the gynecologist today and she prescribed Ortho Cyclen to me. she says it will help my skin even more than Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I won't be able to start taking that until I am done with my Tri-Cyclen pack though (I'm in the middle of it right now). I'll keep you posted smile.gif

I have mild, horomonal acne, so my dermatologist prescribed orthotrycycline to me. I just started my 3rd month of it and I'm so scared about my skin getting worse. the good news is, I don't break out on my chin anymore at all. but now I am starting to break out on my cheeks (which hasn't happened for a while until now)...but when I do get a new breakout a head never forms and it just starts going down after a few days. my main problem is the red mark it leaves afterwards.

my dermatologist says that I should have birth control in my system for 3-6 months to not break out as much. I don't know if I should continue it if my cheeks are breaking out. but if I stopped using it I would probably break out on my chin again. I don't know what to do  cry.gif