Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A little info to start with...

Male

22 years old

Weight: 65 kg

Mild to moderate acne I think (cystic acne the hurts ALOT). Never been told by a doc, so im really just guessing.. biggrin.gif

Acne started at the age of 18 I think...

Roacutane dose = 40 mg a day (taking both pills at the same time) for 6 months

Other acne medication I tried:

Tetracycline, Redap, BP regime

Tetracycline cleared up the cysts for a while and recently they started to reappear, although they didn’t hurt as much as before. But when I stopped tetracycline it started to hurt again. No topical has ever helped my acne.

All this acne has made my skin look really ugly with some rolling scars, red marks, uneven skin tone and some pigment changes. My nose is almost always very red due to stupid blackheads sad.gif

So after reading some success stories on accutane on this board I decided to put a stop (hopefully) to this disease...

Day 11:

Didn’t see much progress in the first week so im writhing this after 11 days...

When I started the Roacutane I just stopped the Tetracycline a few days before, so my skin wasnt really bad at all, but now I think I am seeing some of this famous initial breakout. I didnt get any whiteheads before but now in the last 2 days I got like 5 of them and a minor cyst around my mouth and at the side of my nose. They are popping up overnight. So for me this is pretty bad because I went from almost clear to this. sad.gif

Although the whiteheads are really small and thin, they are easy to extract and dont have much puss in them, they leaves red marks. eusa_wall.gif

I think I might be seeing some oil reduction already but my skin still looks crap when I wear moisturizer.

Skin is very sensitive to the sun. My face is really red right now. Cant wait until the weather gets worse... biggrin.gif I also think the accutane makes my skin get red by default or am I wrong about this?

Have a slight lower back pain, but nothing serious at all..

Skin is getting flaky and dry. Hate my lips right now. They are really dry and flaky and I cant stop biting them and rubbing the skin of. I need a better lip balm. (im using a blistex right now). Im a little afraid of opening my mouth to much so ill get flaky.. neutral.gif

That’s all for now I think...

Im going to update my log once or twice a week or when there is any significant improvement in my skin. That way it is easier to see the progress.

Any comments or questions are very welcome...

I really hope this works eusa_pray.gif

wink.gif

Edited by Bobbyflextor

Day 14

Ill just do a small update.

Its nice to only have dry skin and not both dry and oily skin eusa_clap.gif The oil is somewhat reduced.

I got a small cyst (I think) at the lip.. Ouch It hurts a bit eusa_boohoo.gif Other than that im looking fairly good today I think.

I do have thousands of blackheads evil.gif I really hope they go away because I really hate them although they are not to visible.

Sideeffects is still dry skin (not to bad), dry lips and I have a hard time looking people in the eyes when I haven't had enough sleep, because of the dryness, so im making sure ill get my 10-12 hours sleep a day biggrin.gif

I did have a very good dream last night and I never remember my dreams so it might be an effect of the tane but who knows...

Day 20

Think my skin is getting better eusa_clap.gif although I have some poor lighting in my appartment that might be fooling me (the kind that doesen't show the skin in details, so I dont really know how I look when im out in the public and that really bothers me sad.gif ).

Haven't had any breakouts but I have like 17382932 blackheads evil.gif My skin feels like sandpaper. Its worst at the nose and under my eyes. I really hope they go away soon...

My eyes is very dry due to lack of sleep and my face is kinda red-ish and senisitive.

Scaps is forming very quickly on the lips and other places where I had some of my "break-out". Im also flaking around my nose and its really hard to cover it.

I did bleed a little from my rear when I went to do a NR 2 just now, but nothing to worry about I guess.

My lips is the worst part of the effect. They are soooo dry and flaky and the skin is just peeling of by the second. When I wake up in the morning I have so much dry skin on the lips, its just so annoying.

To sum it up:

Good progress but I really need to get my sleep so I dont look like im sick cool.gif

Sounds a lot like mine I have a lot of blackheads on my nose that make it look red and thats where I peel the most. Just don't make the mistake of trying to coax out a blackhead thats sticking out I tried to and just made a really red spot and irritated that black head so its even bigger now... oops.

That is the aquaphor everyone is talking about. It's good stuff when I do a mild face scrub at night (to get off the dead skin) and then use that when I wake up my face is much more normal colored. Seems to speed up healing a lot. I've started taking Vitamin E too and I think they peeling around the nose you describe (which I also had really bad) has been steadily decreasing. I'd suggest getting that Aquaphor and Vitamin E supplements if you haven't already.

Sounds a lot like mine I have a lot of blackheads on my nose that make it look red and thats where I peel the most. Just don't make the mistake of trying to coax out a blackhead thats sticking out I tried to and just made a really red spot and irritated that black head so its even bigger now... oops.

That is the aquaphor everyone is talking about. It's good stuff when I do a mild face scrub at night (to get off the dead skin) and then use that when I wake up my face is much more normal colored. Seems to speed up healing a lot. I've started taking Vitamin E too and I think they peeling around the nose you describe (which I also had really bad) has been steadily decreasing. I'd suggest getting that Aquaphor and Vitamin E supplements if you haven't already.

I only noticed scars once mine started fading but dont think theyre too bad thank god. Bit of advice about the lips...use Aquaphor at night and Blistex Ointment in the morning and apply Blistex Intensive Moisturiser during the day. Really helps. Also, Omega 3 in Cod Oil is good but if you cant stand the aftertaste try Omega 3 in Flax Oil, highly recommended. Hope the lips are OK, mine are starting to split where the lips join either side and theyre bleeding but ahwel.

Vanessa wink.gif

Currency:

180 capsules £4.45

360 capsules £7.95

Free UK Delivery!

Cod Liver Oil Capsules 570mg with added Omega 3 - Gelatin Free

Not all Cod Liver Oil is the same!

It may all look the same when it’s in a capsule – but the reality is very different. Sadly we live in a polluted world. Our seas are no exception,so purity is vital when you are choosing a quality Cod Liver Oil. It’s important to realise that purity isn’t just an abstract concept; it’s defined by the World Health Organisation in TEQ/kg of oil (a measure of the total dioxins and PCBs present in a sample - the lower the number the better it is!) Most Cod Liver Oils sold in the UK have total TEQ values of around 15. Seven Seas is one of the best Cod Liver Oils you can buy; we tested it, at an independent government test centre and it was found to contain just 4.7 TEQs. However, using the same test centre, Healthspan Icelandic Cod Liver Oil achieved a phenomenol total TEQ score of just 1.77 TEQs – making it the purest Cod Liver Oil in the UK!

So how is our oil so good? The reason is that we send our buyers to Iceland, where they buy pure oil direct from the fisheries. It is then further refined using ‘filter-pure’ technology and concentrated to provide a higher concentration of valuable Omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) per capsule.

Benefits

Omega 3 fatty acids DHA and EPA are the vital ingredients that help maintain supple and flexible joints as well as a healthy heart and circulation.

Each Healthspan capsule contains 70mg of DHA and 50mg of EPA. Now put our Healthspan quality oil into a Gelatin Free capsule and quite simply, there really is no healthier Cod Liver Oil that you can buy. Each capsule also contains Vitamin A, vital for healthy skin, hair and nails; Vitamin D to help maintain healthy bones and teeth. Natural vitamin E is added for its antioxidant properties.

Recommended daily intake 1 capsule daily 2 to 3 capsules a day may be taken for higher levels of cardio-care Omega 3 fatty acids.

Available as 180 capsules or 360 capsules.

Nutritional Info Per Capsule: Pure Icelandic Cod Liver Oil 570mg of which EPA is 50mg, DHA is 70mg. Vitamin A is 390iu; Vitamin D is

50iu and Natural source Vitamin E is added at 700mcg.

Ingredients Cod Liver Oil, natural source vitamin E, Capsule shell (Modified starch – of vegetable origin, Glycerol, Acidity regulator: Disodium Phosphate, Gelling agent: Carageenan)

Caution If you have any medical conditions always consult your doctor before taking vitamins or supplements.

Related Articles: Healthy Hearts

What is 'advanced nutrition'

'Our dear Channel Islands are to be free'

New 'Price Watch' customer service

New Healthspan Price Watch July 2004

Ask the Experts May 2004

Food for Thought

Getting the right balance of Omega 3s & 6s

Arthritis facts and tips

post-26247-1127243404_thumb.jpg

post-26247-1127243404_thumb.jpg

Each capsule also contains Vitamin A, vital for healthy skin, hair and nails; Vitamin D to help maintain healthy bones and teeth. Natural vitamin E is added for its antioxidant properties.

Thx for the info... really appreciate it wink.gif

Is it not a bad idea to consume more vitamin A? It said in my panflet that came with roacutane, that I should stay away from food as liver and other stuff with high amount of vitamin A.

Each capsule also contains Vitamin A, vital for healthy skin, hair and nails; Vitamin D to help maintain healthy bones and teeth. Natural vitamin E is added for its antioxidant properties.

Thx for the info... really appreciate it wink.gif

Is it not a bad idea to consume more vitamin A? It said in my panflet that came with roacutane, that I should stay away from food as liver and other stuff with high amount of vitamin A.

Day 25

Bad news:

Got a whitehead on my chin and a "minor" cyst at my jaw but it dosen't hurt, thank god.

Still hate my uneven skintone and stupid scars.

When I shower in the morning my skin peels off and I get really red and it takes a few hours to calm down cry.gif I think I look best in the morning but it could be because my eyes is more blurry and I dont see colors as good as later in the day wacko.gif

Good news:

Most of the blackheads on my nose has vanished eusa_dance.gif Still some left but I think they will be gone soon. They just vanished from one day to another... Really nice.. Gives me hope eusa_clap.gif

I started with the fish oil and I think its helping because im not flaking anywhere right now... Thx 4 the tip wink.gif

Other news:

Dont really have any sideeffects except maybe some moodswings. Sometimes I think I look ok and other times I think I look just awfull. Its mostly because of the scars. I also admit its not the worst scars I have seen, I dont think they show up in pictures really, but when I look up close I think it looks awfull. I cant stop looking in the miror neutral.gif Maybe its a deeper problem... eusa_think.gif

But Ill keep up this medicine treatment to the end and then Ill see if im happier when im completely clear of acne, although I doubt it right now...

I'm the same age as you, and just started accutane this month; I'm on day 12. Very similar side effects, aside from the headaches.

If you do get bad headaches fo an extended time PLEASE inform your derm. Could mean your brain is swelling - just a tad too much.

Anyways... I wish you the best of luck with your treatment and it's always a pleasure to read someone elses successful treatment with accutane.

Thanks for your concern... I only rarely have headaches now so it should be ok

Time for update...

Day 42 (I think :D )

No acne, no blackheads :clap:

well, actually I might have a few small ones (blackheads) on the tip of my nose but im not gonna touch them.

The cyst I had when I started the tane left a red mark the has devided into 4 small ones :doh: I think they are gonna take a long time to dissapear because they look really deep under the skin.

Another big red mark at ny chin but its gonna fade faster I think (or hope :) ) and some minor red dots here & there but nothing special but it will look better when they are gone im sure even though I dont notice them that much right now.

Sideeffeckts are the same...:

Dry lips, but they dont crack or anything but they just get this very hard skin on top.

Somewhat flaky skin, when I eat or have to open my mouth wide it sometimes "cracks" the sourounding skin.

I should mention that I take like a trigi-zillion pills with my food (all at the same time)

2 x 20 mg tane :clap:

2 x 500 mg C-vitamin

2 x fishoil

1 x b-complex

1 x E-vitamin

1 x Multi-vitamin

and I drink lemonwater all the time...

To many pills?

All together I think I made quite an improvement after "just" 42 days and I cant wait untill im like 3 months longer into this regime and see what I look like then :)