Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MultiMia

I know they wont want to hire me b/c of my acne

Ive realized that while Im waiting to find the job of my dreams, rolleyes.gif , Im going to have to take a crappy job at the mall.So I figured at least let it be something that I enjoy....makeup! biggrin.gif I found this ad for a new,upscale, beauty store at the mall and was really excited about it,until I remembered my acne.Its weird,sometimes I forget I have acne,I dunno.....Anyway,I just feel like these people are going to look at me in disgust and wonder why I would apply to sell beauty products to people when I cant even keep my face clear.I know,I probably sound really stupid to you guys but Ive gotta just vent cause none of my friends understand.They get one or two zits and have a heart attack.

Anyway,is it possible there are any people who do understand me? I dont know if Im looking for advice,encouragement or what,but I do feel better now that I got that off my chest. smile.gif

throw caution to the wind! they might want someone really passionate about their products and it sounds like you are. any smart employer would hire someone as knowledgeable about their product as you are, so i think you should go for it.

Guest ldanielle

I've never wanted to work on a cosmetics counter but I've been thinking about this before. And I've noticed that in all the make-up stores/counters here none of the girls/women on them look beautiful, half of them don't even look attractive or have perfect skin or anything like that, I always assumed they would all look perfect but never really payed much attention to them until recently. Most of them clearly wear loads of make up covering up all their imperfections anyway, it's why they work there because they know so much about make-up. I wouldn't be so sure they would not hire you just because of acne.

Someone with perfect skin probably isn't going to have had much experience with different foundations/concealers etc and won't know anything about them compared to someone that's used them because they have acne anyway. Therefore it's likely you'd be able to give better advice I would've thought.

Mulitia mia, sorry to say it, but i think you might be right, it really shouldn't happen and I do in all honesty hope you get a chance, but i think some people wont see it that way.

The best thing you can do is when you go for interview wear makeup that shows you in the best possible light. I think you have to work to dispel all those sub conscious 'myths' that people have about acne. Things like acne makes you dirty etc etc. Dont go for 'healthy glow' make up, keep it very matt and oil free, have your hair looking good and make sure its tied back and off your face if its long (chignon?) you need to look professional and clean. My best friends sister has just recently qualified as a beauty threapist and she was telling me about things that she did to make her look good for interview (i am job hunting but for something compltely different) Look at what the unifom they wear is, try and mimic this in subtle ways, it makes them much more likly to imgaine you working there. For instance she wore a white shirt which was only buttons at the top so it looked more like a tunic type thing (sounds gross - looked good though) with black trousers, the main thing was this was the colours of the salon and she had everything very ironed and very tailored, uit honestly did make all the difference. Wear jewlery, but keep it simple. One thin silver chain, one pair of small studs and a watch. All cooordinated and neat and tidy.

Good luck!

At loads of the make-up shops near me, the workers aren't all perfectly pretty at all. I've seen people working there with acne before, just because they sell make-up, it doen't mean you have to look like a model or anything.

Just give it a go, and do some of the stuff that turnergirl suggests. Good luck with it all smile.gif

Guest mishmosh

ughhhhh they wear most of the range on their faces. really caked on with a trowel

Hardly natural beauties!

Saying htat, I find them quite intimidating

Guest ldanielle
ughhhhh they wear most of the range on their faces. really caked on with a trowel

Hardly natural beauties!

Saying htat, I find them quite intimidating

Thanks for all the posts guys.Im going to apply no matter what I think the outcome may be.Though I do realize that Ive gotta up the self esteem b/c the lack of that is something that will keep me from getting any job.

Thanks again guys smile.gif

Last two times I went to the makeup counter I didn't feel intimidated, the girls were all really friendly.

The one a while back had perfect skin except for one big, bleeding acne spot!

The one recently had bad acne scarring.

So they don't all have perfect skin.

I know professional make up artists with bad skin, professional hair dressers that are bald, designers who can't draw...the list goes on.

The point is, these people are good at what they do. Make up artists, or consultants at make up booths, have knowledge. People won't avoid going to them just because the make up artists' skin is bad. Or if the hairdresser is bald, no one's going to think "oh, no, he's gonna shave me bald too". There are designers who can't draw for nuts but have brilliant ideas.

I don't think the cosmetics company will reject you just because you have bad skin. Don't think about it that way. I am very sure they would rather hire someone like you with so much passion then a pretty face who knows next to nothing.

I think that if you can show a better knowlege of their products and more enthusiasm than the other candidates who may or may not have perfect skin then you will get the job.

The other candidates will have their flaws too, which won't always be physical.

Lets not kid ourselves though, discrimination against acne sufferers in the work place does exist in pretty much every industry where you will be dealing with the public BUT this will only compromise your chances if you don't stand out from the other candidates as a better choice of employee.

They will be considering the full package, not just your skin.

Just my thaughts on the subject.

Just thought Id update you guys on what happened.Ok,first let me say that the ad said nothing about having experience working in the cosmetics/beauty industry,just retail experience,which I have a lot of.So they tell me that they like me and everything but theyre looking for people with cosmetics/beauty experience.I even expressed my knowledge of their products and how much I love them...still nothing.Im not going to say that I think 100% of it was b/c of my acne but I do feel like that might have had something to do with it.

Oh well,I really want to work with animals anyway and fortunatly for me they dont care what I look like. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the advice though guys,I really do appreciate it.

Mulitia mia, sorry to say it, but i think you might be right, it really shouldn't happen and I do in all honesty hope you get a chance, but i think some people wont see it that way.

The best thing you can do is when you go for interview wear makeup that shows you in the best possible light. I think you have to work to dispel all those sub conscious 'myths' that people have about acne. Things like acne makes you dirty etc etc. Dont go for 'healthy glow' make up, keep it very matt and oil free, have your hair looking good and make sure its tied back and off your face if its long (chignon?) you need to look professional and clean. My best friends sister has just recently qualified as a beauty threapist and she was telling me about things that she did to make her look good for interview (i am job hunting but for something compltely different) Look at what the unifom they wear is, try and mimic this in subtle ways, it makes them much more likly to imgaine you working there. For instance she wore a white shirt which was only buttons at the top so it looked more like a tunic type thing (sounds gross - looked good though) with black trousers, the main thing was this was the colours of the salon and she had everything very ironed and very tailored, uit honestly did make all the difference. Wear jewlery, but keep it simple. One thin silver chain, one pair of small studs and a watch. All cooordinated and neat and tidy.

Good luck!