Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Alpha lipoic acid/home made cream

ALA, DMAE, Vit C & E CREAM

Some quick responses:

1) liquiid ALA - great (gelcaps also available at GNC in 50 and 100 mg strengths). Remember tho, this is an acid and can cause skin to sting/burn. I tried this for a few months, eventually abandoning direct application because I found it too harsh i.e. inflammatory versus anti. Use judiciously.

2) per Skinbiology - Copper Peptides can impede efficacy of topical Vitamin C (have also heard vice-versa). Regarding oral supplementation of C, check with Skinbiology.

They did confirm that their CP Serum could be used with ALA.

The recipe batch could last up to one week, depending upon how applied. Historically, I have tripled the amounts without any loss in integrity.

- Veronica

Bump. This is such good stuff. I am not gonna forget about this alpha lipoic and keep it in my regimine somehow. Worried a little about contamination though. A week is a good estimate for the serum. Just make enough for a week and then make more?

Guest Scorpioness

Thanks Veronica for the info.. that is great that the ALA will not conflict with the CP serum.... I am always afraid of mixing anything other than emu oil with the CP serum for fear of canceling out its properties.

I think I am going to mix a little ALA with my emu oil to apply over the Super CP serum and see how it goes. I am only doing this every other night as I have just began using mandelic acid on alternate nights. I will report.

The DMAE sounds great but I don't want to get lost in too many products, by not knowing what is doing what, or making my skin worse by over stimulating it too often with too many chemicals, minerals, or whatever.....:D#

OK, wait a minute - just checked the ingredients of the Emu Oil I already use from Skin Biology:

EMU OIL: a peroxide-free emu oil supplemented with the super-powerful antioxidants of Ubiquinone, 7-keto DHEA, mixed isomers of natural tocotrienols, and mixed isomers of vitamin E.

So, all that needs is the ALA and DMAE (if using copper peptides)

ALA, DMAE, Ester C & E CREAM

FYI...............

Have just made a fresh batch, without adding the Ester C. The oil and cream base ingredients (currently at 3 and 2 tsp, respectively) will have to be reduced.

Therefore, when mixing minus the C, suggestion is to halve the quantities of oil and cream. Mixture should be the consistency of a cream soup.

- Veronica

Veronica - thanks - I can't wait to try this. I have received delivery of the ALA capusles (liquid), already have the emu oil... now just waiting on the DMAE.

My skin care regime is taking over my life ha ha... by the time I'm 70, I should have it sorted :)/

I couldn't be bothered to wait for the DMAE - so, last night I mixed the content of 2 liquid ALA capsules, 1 liquid C0-Q10 capsule with Emu oil and applied - it was kind of gloopy in texture, but this morning I swear there is a freshness in my face that wasn't there yesterday.. OK, guess I need to keep doing this to see how it goes, but it's looking positive so far. :)

Guest Scorpioness

Hey Maya...

I tried mixing the powdered ALA from a capsule with my emu oil for a few nights... but I've just implemented several new skin care products (mandelic acid serum, SUPER CP serum, and manuka honey gel) into my regimen and so I am nixing my plan to buy the gel caps and be one of the gunei pigs in this experiment :)

I just wanted to tell you and others on the board that I will be very interested in hearing the results of using this with the Super CP serum. If you feel adding the ALA to the rest of what you are doing is giving you more marked, speedy improvement... I will be sure to buy the gel caps and the DHEA.... jeez, all of this stuff is getting expensive... I just spent a fortune on makeup too.... 8-[

Looking forward to the updates...

Hi Scopion_Vixen

Well, my DMAE arrived this morning (after I burned my face last night with my experiential glycolic cross method!!) so I thought I'd mix it with the ALA and Q0-q10 anyway - in an emu oil base. I rubbed it on my breast too (ha ha - well, firmer would be a good thing ya know)..

The DMAE is the only powder form I have - it came in a capsule and I just broke it open, the ALA and Qo-q10 is in liquid form. It was quite grainy but I managed to massage it in quite well and just dabbed onto my bumed areas.

Yeah, this is all adding up to a small fortune for me too - there are now so many products I keep having to buy... and the list seems to keep getting bigger ](*,)

It's going to be hard to say how well this works for me in the next week or so since I have the burns and scabs to looks at - but I will keep updating.

Hello Everyone,

I found a fantastic site through ebay. It has a product called intense gel which contains Natural Vitamin E oil, Olive & Sunflower oils, Alpha Lipoic Acid, DMAE, Vitamin C, Pomegranate & Green Tea extracts, Helichrysum, and Farnesol, our preservative blend and our mixture of Pure Essential oils .

It contains 5% alpha lipoic acid which is fantastic.

It is EXTREMELY cheap. They even offer a free sample on ebay. I just received it and have it on my skin right now. I am supposed to rinse it off in 45 minutes but am so excited I couldnt wait to post this (hehe).

Here is the link http://www.puredeming.com/products/

I would sugest you get a free sample off of ebay first. I hate wasting my money unless this is actually going to work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2948041972

I have 25 minutes left for this stuff to stay on my face. I will post my results once I rinse it off.

ok, I just got done with my treatment. My skin looks pretty good. Very nice and feels soft. My chin especially looks great. It's really too soon to tell and I would hate to jinx myself.

I am going to order a larger size. The sample size is only 1 treatment.

I will keep everyone up to date on this product.

Here is a link to a article from Dr. Perricone about how topical Alpha Lipoic Acid supposedly reverses scar formation. He has claimed in one of his books and in a series he did for PBS that the use of topical ALA over six months will reduce acne scars by 60 to 80%.

If this an exaggerated claim, then I'm wondering how he is getting away with it since he is a professor at Yale University.

When you get into the site, just scroll down to the article titled "Alpha Lipoic Acid versus scarring.

Comments from Maya and Oursfan would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.imakenews.com/craigwb/index000030829.cfm

Also, I posted this info once, but didn't seem to get much of a response, in regards to the particular info in this article.

eagle1 - Just read that article - hmm, I don't quite understand the science behind it - I guess only time will tell. I have been using my own home made remedy with the ALA and DMAE in it for a couple of days now and it does seem to be firming my face, whether it will remove pitted scarring, I would love it to, but I won't get my hopes up based on that article.

Well, I'm prepared to continue using this just for skin tone and texture.. if it really can improve scars by 60%+ in 6 months then... I'm in for a treat!!

Hmm... Interesting.

Not exactly sure why, but I tend to doubt that his patient was referring to moderate/severe pitted scarring (i.e. icepick, boxcar & rolling). Mostly because if her acne scarring had been noticeable, I think he probably would have mentioned that at the beginning of the article when he described the appearance of her skin. I could, of course be wrong - but the article isn't very detailed about what type of scarring she had. I suspect that the patient may be referring to red/brown marks or very superficial (barely noticeable) indentations.

Then again, he mentions the studies done on scars left from surgery, so it's difficult to say exactly what type of scarring he is referring to in the article. I really wish he had been more specific about the type of scarring that benefits by ALA usage.

In any case, from all that I have heard about Alpha Lipoic Acid, it would probably be worthwhile to add to your scar treatment regimen as long as it doesn't cause you to break out. Unfortunately, I have heard from several people who say that his particular formulation of ALA broke them out so proceed with caution. Please keep us posted on your progress if you decide to use ALA. :)

Maya

Maybe you could e-mail this article to Dr. Chu and see what he thinks.

I think he might be the perfect person to critique what Dr. Perricone is saying since he is an expert on acne scars and should understand the science of what he is talking about.

Gary in Canada

Actually, Dr. Rapaport should look at this report as well, and come to think of it, anybody on this board who reads this report and is going to be seeing their derm could maybe show it to them as well.

It would be great to see if a bunch of derms could conduct their own little trials and see what kind of results they get.

My sister talked to Dr. Pickart recently (from Skin Biology) and he praised Dr. Perricone. He said that the makeup companies have tried to suppress Dr. Perricone's findings because they are threatened or something.

My sister's dermatologist/surgeon also seems to think that Perricone's claims about supplements and topicals are real as well.

It's only been 3/4 days since I started applying my home made cream (with added Qo-q10) and I AM AMAZED!!!!

Seriously, it's got to be this cream that has healed my face so quickly. 3/4 days ago I burned my skin pretty badly with leaving glycolic acid on for too long - it scabed badly - a thick crust that was impossible to hide with any type of makeup. It was very, very sore too.

Anyway - the scabs fell off on day 3 (very quick don't you think?) and 1 day after (today) you would not think I had been burned a few days back. NO RED MARKS!!!!! No Pigmentation at all. This is fantastic. :)

Also, this morning, I was looking in my car mirror, and I swear my skin had a new type of radiance.

I hope I am not just seeing things, but WOW is all I can say to date.

By the way, The DMAE is a little scratchy.. I find that by adding a little more oil (I use emu and jojoba mixed) helps.

Where can you get the liquid ALA and COq-10 and the DMAE.

I have ALA 12Omg caps and Coq-10 50mg caps and plain emu oil, but would the contents of the caps be a powder or liquid.