Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

:D/

CBS had a special on TV called, "Four-Step Cure For Acne".

Following are some quotes from the article followed by a link to the story:

Dr. Terry Dubrow, a plastic surgeon based in Newport Beach, Calif., says first a patient must understand the true origins of acne (genetic) and then find a proper cure.

According to Dr. Dubrow, acne has four distinct stages, and you must attack all four in order to wipe it out. The stages are:

Dry cells mixed with sebum and block the pores;

Sebum ballon builds up behind the clog;

Bacteria infect the build-up

Curative inflammation spreads the condition.

In an effort to combat all four, Dr. Dubrow has come up with the Acne Cure.

The following is a link to his Acne Cure program:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/11/...ain558084.shtml

I haven't tried this program yet but maybe it's worth a try? Let me know what you think!?!?!

Step 1 SALICYLIC ACID. (Morning and night) Clean away excess dead cells and bacteria from the skin's surface, without over-drying it. The best ingredient to wash your face with is a 2 percent salicylic acid product (widely available in drugstores). Put a penny-size amount in the palm of your hand, add a few drops of warm water, lather, and massage (in circular motion) to affected areas. Let the SA sit for a few minutes, then gently wash off with warm water. The SA has two benefits: an anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant for the skin's surface.  

Step 2 GLYCOLIC ACID. (Only in the morning) After you've rinsed away the SA product, apply 8-10 percent glycolic acid product, in an identical manner. Let it sit and wash it off with warm water. The benefits of GA: digs deeper down (while the SA cleans the surface) to loosen "cemented-in" plugs.  

Step 3 BENZOYL PEROXIDE (Only at night) Wash off SA and run an ice cube over the affected areas, to cool and soothe (be careful not to freeze the skin!) Apply the BP (kept cold in refrigerator), but run ice cube across palm of hand, so product doesn't warm up when you rub and apply to face (in identical manner as the SA and the GA). Leave the BP on for 10 minutes, and lie down with ice packs on the affected areas (opens pores, reduces inflammation, relaxes you). When you're through, wipe off excess BP with a soft cloth. Allow the rest to sit overnight.  

Step 4 MOISTURIZER (Morning and throughout the day) Apply an oil-free moisturizer to the face with an SPF of at least 15. Sun reduces the skin's resistance to bacterial attack.

Yes I agree with this method to an extent! Read on please!

Step One

However do not use a medicated cleanser. If you do you will find out for yourself over time. The reasons are simple.

Reason 1.) Do not use a medicated cleanser. Why you may ask? The active ingredient, which is most always Salicylic Acid, rinses right off of your skin in a matter of 40 seconds to 1 minute. Since the cleanser is washed away the active ingredient does not have a chance to do what it does.

Reason 2.) Also a medicated cleanser will quickly dry out the skin.

Salicylic Acid commonly known as a BHA is a great thing for acne prone skin. BHA's absorb the oil in the pore itself and they exfoliate lightly inside the pore to get rid of the clogged bacteria. Apply a BHA in the morning or you can use it morning and night.

Step Two

Glycolic acid is an AHA or (Alpha-Hydroxy Acid). AHA's include are naturally found in fruit and in milk. Examples:: Glycolic, Lactic, Malic, Tartric, and Citric acids. What a AHA does to the skin is that it dissolves the intercellular glue that sticks to dead skin cells and it encourages the natural shedding of dead skin cells. AHA's over a period of time (at the least 2-3 months) can give your skin a more youthfull appearance, improve the texture and color of your skin, and it can give your skin a "Glowly" appearance. This is because AHA's boost the moisture retention of your skin. Use AHA's at night, not in the morning since they take the top layers of the dead skin cells off your skin and encourage new cells to appear, the sunlight can cause your skin to be more sensitive then it already is.

Step Three

(Only at night) Wash off SA and run an ice cube over the affected areas, to cool and soothe (be careful not to freeze the skin!) Apply the BP (kept cold in refrigerator), but run ice cube across palm of hand, so product doesn't warm up when you rub and apply to face (in identical manner as the SA and the GA). Leave the BP on for 10 minutes, and lie down with ice packs on the affected areas (opens pores, reduces inflammation, relaxes you). When you're through, wipe off excess BP with a soft cloth. Allow the rest to sit overnight.
I have never heard anything so before! At best my adivce is to not try this. The ice cube method is OK once in a while but not for every single pimple you have and esp not on the whole face. Usually people use the ice cube method to clam down the redness in the pimple that is already visible to the eye or to sooth the pain for a pimple thats going to come to the skin's surface soon. And you don't rinse off the BHA (SA) because it needs to do its job! Read my note above on BHA's in step one. You also never put on BP and then take it off either! BP is best used in concentrations of 2.5% the others 5-10% are just crap and will definitly(sp?) dry and irritate the skin which causes more acne to occur. We don't want that do we? LOL. Try Neutrogena's On The Spot acne treatment cream (2.5%) found in drugstores or use Paulas Choice Blemish Fighting Solution (2.5%). PC products are found at http://www.paulaschoice.com. I use PC products and for the last 3 days my skin is looking its best ever and her Blemish Fighting Solution is the best BP i've found. Paulas Choice BP is gentler, not as white, not as thick, and does not dry as fast on the skin when it touches the skin as Neutrogena's On The Spot acne treatments does. This is good because a person needs to beable to spread it on evenly onto the skin.

Step Four

Moisturizer is also a key in ANY skin care regimen- acne or not!

(Morning and throughout the day) Apply an oil-free moisturizer to the face with an SPF of at least 15. Sun reduces the skin's resistance to bacterial attack.
If it is a good moisturizer you won't have to reapply it during the day.

I really hope I helped! :D If you need recommendations on cleansers, moisturizers, treatments, or such please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]

Has anyone tried the 4 step acne cure? Im curious on some feedback people have with using it....

I bought the book. The system definitely works for quickly clearing up the skin, but it's not a solution, it's merely a treatment.

Yes, if you stick with this, your skin will stay largely clear, but you really do need to look for a more permanent solution, unless you like having to constantly put gobs of crap which may or may not have negative effects on your skin in the long run.