Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rhonda1956

Accutane Presc Trouble

cry.gif My son has been on accutane (actually Claravis) for 3 months now. Just now starting to see improvement. He was living out of state the 3 months he was on it and now the ONLY DERM in town is not available until Sept 27 which means he has to go off it 30 days!!!! Just when it started working. We are so frustrated. We went to a regular M.D. who "thought" he could prescribe it only to learn from the pharmacist that the prescription needed a yellow sticker. What??? Are only certain docs allowed to prescribe. We had the lab work done and everything is fine. he has no bad side effects going on.

Has anyone gone off their prescription for 30 days right in the middle of their course? The lazy derm's office could care less and said it "won't hurt" for him to go off it for 30 days. What? No, it will only slow his progress a bit don't you think. This is ridiculous. We have all his records, his labs and he's been seen by a doctor twice and the stubborn dorm refuses to prescribe until she sees him on Sept 27th!! Sorry - I'm just so frustrated!!! If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear him. Especially if you can tell me that being off it 30 days will not slow his progress.

Thanks

For accutane my derm said it HAS to have the yellow sticker on it and he had a whole bunch on his little prescription pad. I guess only derms have them...

Any doctor who has jumped through the program's hoops to get the yellow stickers can prescribe, but usually only derms go to the trouble. Try an out of town derm or call around to family doctors and see if you can find one who has the stickers to prescribe and explain the situation.

Any doctor who has jumped through the program's hoops to get the yellow stickers can prescribe, but usually only derms go to the trouble.  Try an out of town derm or call around to family doctors and see if you can find one who has the stickers to prescribe and explain the situation.

Thanks - I wish I knew about the "yellow sticker" situation, I could have made those phone calls and knew what to ask about. Fortunately, the doctor in MT agreed to send us the prescription so he will only be without for about a week. Are the stickers alway's yellow? We live in CA and the Montana pharmacist mentioned a "blue" sticker. I hope if the MT doctor sent the presc and its "blue" that the CA pharmacist will honor it.

Does anyone know if going off a week will make much of a difference in the progress?

Guest tenshigirl25

maybe this would be 1 of those times when it would be OK to order accutane offline?

Thanks - I wish I knew about the "yellow sticker" situation, I could have made those phone calls and knew what to ask about.

I find it rather disturbing that you didn't. It should have been mentioned many times in the informational material that you should have been given. Not only does the prescription have to have the yellow sticker, it must be filled within 7 days and it can not be called in or faxed, you must present the physical prescription paper with the sticker to the pharmacy.

maybe this would be 1 of those times when it would be OK to order accutane offline?

No, it wouldn't. Accutane is tightly restricted and is not allowed to be sold on internet pharmacies. Therefore anything called Accutane that is showing up on online sites originates in the blackmarket. Which means it might be expired, it might be fake, etc. It would be better to pause treatment for the month than to continue with questionable meds.