Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, I've come to the point where I am tired of searching for 100% clear results from any given product-but i'm f***ing miserable! I am starting my senior year of high school tomorrow and my skin looks a complete mess! I have red marks everywhere and those nasty kinda crusted over ones that are really red and flaky (I picked-i know i know, bad me!) I look like a mine field.......I've tried everything available in stores, Proactiv, Taz, birth control, tetracycline, retin-a-i'm so frustrated. I REALLY don't want to go on Tane-I already have a bad liver :/ ah well.........my acne is generally in the moderate category..........except for days like these............please tell me someone out there has a good review of something else i could try?????? ninja.gif

Check out the message boards for different laser treatments - it is expensive, but if your acne is moderate it sounds like it could help. did you try any antiobiotics stronger than tetracycline? Did you try Diane 35 or spiro? Those work for some women.

of course the most obvious answer is to take accutane...but it'd be impossible to get a prescription with a bad liver...and i would never recommend it to someone with a bad liver anyway...so what else...

anitbiotics are a choice but maybe you've exhausted those options as well...minocycline has good results for some if you haven't tried that route...tanning is a terrible idea...

the laser treatments...despite cost...are really the next best option...

sadly...i can't really help with birth control...

I had results with benzamycin for years...then minocycline and differin...finally accutane 40mg/day for 5 months kept me clear for a year so far...sometimes being very gentle with your skin will help a bit as well...where is the current acne located...chin usually signifies hormonal/stress related...

best of luck...

my acne is generally around my chin lately-but right now my forehead's a mess as well.........i'm so frustrated with this all.........i just don't know what to do anymore..........and i definately don't have the cash to dish out for laser treatments (my parents split recently). I was considering trying Dan's regimen (again....) or maybe acupuncture or something else.......there always seems to be something new in the prescription world..........

hey the laser treatment is not that expensive for the results that you will probably get. it is your only option, and its your problem so you gotta find a way to get it done.

Azelaic acid would be good for you. Another antibiotic would be good as well. Stronger than tetracycline. I suggest either minocycline or bactrim. If you are female spiro is a good choice. There are nicomide pills which is like a "natural" antibiotic. It has a lot of zinc oxide, copper, folic acid, and nicotinamide. All the things I mentioned above requires a prescription. Using a topical retinoid will help, like retin a (even though you said you tried it already). Maybe differin? Everyone has their own retinoid that works best for them. Good luck. There are many treatment options, do not give up/

Azelaic acid would be good for you.  Another antibiotic would be good as well.  Stronger than tetracycline.  I suggest either minocycline or bactrim.  If you are female spiro is a good choice.  There are nicomide pills which is like a "natural" antibiotic.  It has a lot of zinc oxide, copper, folic acid, and nicotinamide.  All the things I mentioned above requires a prescription.  Using a topical retinoid will help, like retin a (even though you said you tried it already).  Maybe differin?  Everyone has their own retinoid that works best for them.  Good luck.  There are many treatment options, do not give up/

just a thought...it wouldn't be a good idea to recommend bactrim to someone with a bad liver...it can easily be as damaging...if not more so, than accutane in this regard...those sulfa based antibiotics are pretty nasty things...and shouldn't be used long term unless it is absolute last resort...and w/a bad liver that isn't even an option...they're potent but usually used for short term illness treatment...not as a maintenance drug...to be honest I'm continually surprised by how many people I see on this forum using the sulfa drugs...they may work...but they're not really the best thing to take...schooling and experience w/patients has shown me it isn't worth the risk...

azelaic acid is pretty effetive in a lot of people...interesting tingle when I used it...kinda itchy...fun stuff...

hormonal related treatments do seem to be the best bet...with perhaps a decent mild wash like brevoxyl for anything elsewhere on the face...those would be more economical than laser treatments...especially if you have prescription coverage...

best of luck...

you could contact the accutane company and explain your liver situation, they might be able to tell you if you could still use it or not, cause if you only have mild acne, you may be able to get cured with accuatne in 1 cycle, eg 90-100 days, thus not subjecting your body to an extreme amount of it as many other have been required to do. Also it comes in a mild strength. Just email the company and expain your concerns, accutane has been around since the early '80s, so there is alot of potential interactions they could inform you of. Then its just ultimately a decison you gotta make. For me, I knew it would give some side fx, but I was willing to take the risk and maybe get cured, which I did, so I made the right choice for my situation. You must do the same, do some research, send some emails, make some phone calls. You should be able to get a solid answer on whether short term useage of it might be a possibility. Of course all of this is an ideal scenerio, and with that said, unfortunately, even for only medium acne, most things out there just don't work all that well, and you will find yourself battling it for a while if you don't make smart moves while you are young now. Great info in these boards. You can become very knowledgable by comparing other experience that have similar symptoms as yours. If you have very mild, or slightly moderate acne, then there is stuff that will help, but like I said, even most medium situations should get accutane low strength of a few months. REMEMBER: a medium case can become a more serious case pretty quick, the answers are out there, its just a highly individualized process. hope this helps you out a bit.