Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Need your advice

Hi you guys,

I'm noticing that many people do not follow the regimen when they say they are. They are adding in other products, skipping applications, irritating their skin by picking, not using the recommended products, taking out parts of the regimen, etc.

The thing is, the regimen is the result of 12 years of trial and error and it works best when followed as outlined. I know I'm just a guy without an M.D., and I'm thinking that might be why people feel like they don't need to listen. But, the regimen works amazingly well when it's followed precisely. I've seen it again and again and again in person with people I coach through it. Then I come to the boards and people are sometimes complaining that they're not seeing good enough results and almost always it turns out they are not following the regimen.

So, how can I get people to follow the regimen as outlined? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dan

Yeah I notice what you mean.

I would offer the following thoughts.

#I think there is a minority of really motivated and committed people that will follow it word for word.

#The rest... just think they know best lol.gif (more fool them)

#I think one potentially very significant reason why people add things to the regimen is that, the regimen alone, for the majority, doesn't have any impact on blackheads...

...I mean, just look at all the weird and wonderful exfoliating techniques there are floating around on these boards. I think alot of people just add these kind of things in, along with masks, steaming, product X and Y etc for good measure to tackle the problem of blackheads.

#Another big issue is product availability. I think nearly all the recommended products are exclusive to the US... so I guess a lot of outsiders struggle to find the correct products and end up using comedogenic soaps and thick greasy moisturisers...

Anyway, just a few thoughts...

To add to that, if you could take away the need to deviate, I think you would be on to a winner.

Guest Marino

I got an idea,

make a package like proactive with all the specified regime products,

with an instruction booklet explaining EXACTLY as it does in your faq page.

They wont bother buying all individual products if they get everything they need,

plus its a psychological thing, when products come togehter, people use them together and try not mix them in fear of it not working.

I'd be costly to make and a bit of a gamble if you were to put it on the market,

but i never the less see it working, proactive is a good exmaple of how it works.

I got an idea,

They wont bother buying all individual products if they get everything they need,

plus its a psychological thing, when products come togehter, people use them together and try not mix them in fear of it not working.

I'd be costly to make and a bit of a gamble if you were to put it on the market,

but i never the less see it working, proactive is a good exmaple of how it works.

Guest Marino

I see where your coming from,

but clearskin.org sells these products individaully anyway,

it wouldn't be hard to wrap them up in one big package and take like 5 percent off or whateva.

People will still have the freedom to follow the regime as they chose with there own products.

The information is there for anyone who wants clear skin, however people may want to follow it exactly as Dan has outlined and are worried about the products they are using are not identical or have similar effects as Dan's recomend products.

If people want assurnance in the products they're using, they should have the option of buying it together in a step by step package where you cant go wrong and are less likley to substitute any products or follow it differently.

I see where your coming from,

but clearskin.org sells these products individaully anyway,

it wouldn't be hard to wrap them up in one big package and take like 5 percent off or whateva.

People will still have the freedom to follow the regime as they chose with there own products.

The information is there for anyone who wants clear skin, however people may want to follow it exactly as Dan has outlined and are worried about the products they are using are not identical or have similar effects as Dan's recomend products.

If people want assurnance in the products they're using, they should have the option of buying it together in a step by step package where you cant go wrong and are less likley to substitute any products or follow it differently.

Guest Marino

LOL, you gota good point,

I do agree different products for differnt people,

but this isn't limiting peolpe only to the package, they still have the info to do it as they please

its just my idea is broadening whats on the market to cater for people who want to:

-Buy in bulk, save cash

-Have the ingrediants needed to follow the regime EXACTLY as Dan would like them to

the majoritiy of people with acne problems are teens, young adults...

this demographic is famous for thier "i know best" and "instant gratification" attitudes. I dont think there is any way to change that.

i think that it will take most people a while of thier own "trial and error" while seeing no results to finally understand what they are doing wrong.

The above is my exact situation... when i found the regimen i had allready been through enough crap that didnt work for me to finally try something that has worked for somebody else.

only idea to counter-act this would be to put testimonials of people whom didnt follow the regimen exactly, then follwed it more closely and saw results. the Proof is in the pudding.

sorry for the double post, i just noticed this though

I got an idea,

I think it is basically up to the individual person to trust your exact technique and not mess with it. They have so often placed trust in other people to help them...dermatologists, product manufacturers...without sufficient results. I suppose it isn't easy to trust someone they don't know, who could be just as unhelpful as the people they've already talked with. Maybe they feel like they have a better chance of success if they figure things out for themselves...a few personal adjustments, perhaps.

If there are some things they don't love about the regimen, things that aren't perfect, they'll seek a solution to that specific problem, perhaps not realizing that adding other ingredients into the mix totally screws up the effectiveness of the Regimen itself. Some possible problems people have to deal with: having dry skin despite piling on moisturizer (as I did this morning), having that dead skin loose on the face and thus visible to other people (which can be pretty embarressing), or having some acne that looks like a new breakout, even when it's just a pimple that existed previously, but had not yet come to the surface. For the dry skin factor, people try to add in different moisturizers or add some sort of exfoliate (even if it's just a dry washcloth, though with reading through these boards it seems as though people buy things like the St. Ives exfoliates (which reminds me - I've heard that the harsh nutshells in exfoliates like the St Ives brand are too harsh on facial skin. I avoid them. I don't think many people have heard this...or maybe they don't believe it. I don't remember - have you specifically addressed exfoliates on the website somewhere?).

Um...wow. Ok, so long story short - You'll just have to let people figure it out on their own. If they do their homework they'll understand exactly why your regimen should work, and will hopefully also understand that by adding in, or taking out, other variables they really do ruin their chance of complete success.

Oh, and btw, I would recommend NOT packaging your own recommended products. I agree with what dishes has already said.

I think a photo gallery/testimonals of doing the regimen correctly and incorrectly will help. What really motivated me to try your regimen was all the photo galleries of really pretty skin.

There are a lot of deviations from the regimen on this board, and I think most have to do with instant gratification. The regimen, as outlined, will work for a lot of people, but only over time (I would say 12 weeks is about the time it takes to actually clear up by using the regimen). Things like facial steaming or spot treating with ACV have near-instant gratification, and that's why people add these methods to the regimen. This is also why people are so eager to try different products like Capsiderm - they think they will see quicker results and can't resist to give the product a shot. I think that is a mix of instant gratification, and at times, desperation.

I also agree with one of the above posters about the regimen - it does a great deal, but doesn't do it all. Besides the AHA's in the Eucerin, the regimen will not do much for blackheads. It also won't do much for enlarged pores. This is what causes people to experiment with things like toners, masks, and peels. Benzoyl Peroxide also promotes hyperpigmentation, which adds to people's troubles and causes them to come up with creative methods to fade red marks.

I think there are a few things we could do to make people stick with the program:

1. politely remind the most obvious culprits that they are deviating from the regimen too greatly, and thus possibly hindering their results.

2. expand the regimen. Right now, it is simple and easy to follow, but could possibly be expanded in a few ways. For example, the regimen could be split into different skin types, and the regimen for very oily skin can include an astringent or toner, and the regimen for dry skin can remain simple with gentle products. You could also include "official" spot treatments and "official", regimen-approved methods to fading red marks (though these would be quite difficult to come up with). I personally think the regimen should include a once-a-week, very gentle scrubbing component, because it would be beneficial in a variety of ways. Expansion could work, but people will always experiment in hope of finding that miracle cure, so I wouldn't expect people to follow the regimen perfectly.

As a side note, this overall trend of not following medical directions is quite disturbing. Various studies have shown that close to 50% of all medical patients do not take medicines as prescribed - 50% !! No wonder so many complain about medications not working properly.

#Another big issue is product availability. I think nearly all the products are exclusive to the US... so I guess a lot of outsiders struggle to find the correct products and end up using comedogenic soaps and thick greasy moisturisers...

I think we're a lot of the problem too (we as in the people who help out around the board). For example, I just posted about how I only moisturize as needed, not after every application like the regimen says.

I think a lot of us need to stop encouraging adding/subtracting to the regimen by not saying things like "yeah I also use exfoliator-x, and I put cucumbers on my nose, and tomato paste on cysts.." Even if these do work for one person, it doesn't necessairly mean it'll work for someone else.

Bottom line: I think that if you're going to advertise "being on the regimen" or "using bp gel," then not only should you actually follow it at home cuz itll get you clear skin, but you should also encourage others to not "bend the rules."

This is good stuff. I will try to put some of it into action. Let's take them 1 by 1.

1. blackheads: I've only ever had probably 3 of them. Go figure. I guess my pores don't partially clog, they fully clog when they're gonna clog at all. But, I have received letters from people saying that the regimen does get rid of blackheads but takes a long time. I've also read that blackheads are simply very stable structures. The pore is only partially clogged so it can keep leaking out sebum for a long time. In short, what do you guys think is the best way to get rid of blackheads? Perhaps I can post something about this for after people are completely cleared of whiteheads.

2. testimonials with pictures: Anybody want to donate a before and after picture that shows them on the regimen precisely that I can post on the site? If we can get a few of those, that would help.

3. instant gratification: I guess there's nothing I can do other than what I already do by warning people several times before they start that the regimen should be followed as outlined.

4. other products: If I wanted to make other products, I'd have to make a bar soap for men, and a liquid cleanser for women. Also, I'd have to make a regular moisturizer to start with and then an alpha hydroxy moisturizer for people with dryer skin. So this could get complicated. Also, I think people would be way more skeptical of me. So for now, I want to avoid this. It's a tough call though because I do think it could help with keeping people strict.

5. Thanks to you guys for repsonding to people's posts on here and backing me up when I tell people they need to be on the regimen and to not add in other variables, etc.

I'm open to other suggestions, so please keep them coming.

Maybe to get more before and after pics you could offer a free bottle of the BP gel for the pics? Just a thought. I recall proactive gave me a free bottle of something when I sent them a before pic. Sadly, though, the "after" pic never happened because that crud just ruined my skin even worse.

Anyway, just a thought.

I guess patience is the biggest thing to remind people. I'm anxious this AM because my red cysts are worse, but I'm sticking with it. It's only been 3 weeks and I'm promising 3 months before I decide yes or no on it.

:0)

More visual aids of different people so that the diverse acne suffering community can see someone they relate to and the regimen has worked for. I think your video on how to apply/perform the regimen really motivated me and taught me the correct way to follow the regimen. Perhaps more videos would influence people to follow the regimen correctly. By this I mean videos of all different types of people who are starting the regimen and then follow them throughout the time it takes to become clear, maybe some of the people you coach would be willing to partake in this.

By showing videos of all different kinds of people doing the exact same regimen and getting the results they want may motivate more people to think, "Well this person seems to have similar acne as I do and I can see they are going through the same problem(s) I encounter in week 1, 3, 8, etc. but eventually they do become clear by sticking precisely to the regimen and not giving up."

I got an idea,

I think part of the problem are those folks who create posts that say stuff like Dan you rock, your regimen rocks, let me have your baby biggrin.gif ...but... I, uh, only do the regimen at night or Im using such and such a product or I also use this etc. etc.

You've created a very democratic message board here, where people can discuss all sorts of different methods and techniques to alleviate their acne. We like you because your not proactive or murad, you realize that their isn't a "one size-fits-all" cure...right?

Maybe instead of defining the exact approach that people should follow and expecting them to stick to it you should just suggest the concept of using bp in a low dosage all over daily after washing your face in order to kill bacteria. If people complain about redness or flakiness you could suggest they use a moisturizer and make a recommendation as to which brand to use.

I mean wasn't that your initial concept? Why are you stressing about people not doing the regimen "exactly", Why is there an "exact" approach? You just set yourself up for people failing at doing the regimen "exactly" which reflects on you and to be honest your bp bottomline.

You dont have to give us a regimen just a product and a recommendation for how to use it to get the best results. And if people find success using it some other way, like the people I mentioned at the beginning of this long post you still look good, if they dont then they just dont like bp, not your "regimen".

Sorry if that didn't make sense, just think your frettin'.

only idea to counter-act this would be to put testimonials of people whom didnt follow the regimen exactly, then follwed it more closely and saw results. the Proof is in the pudding.

Mick90 summoned me, so I came.

I still support the blackhead forum, but that's not what I'm going to talk about.

I have sometimes heard that the regimin can clear up blackheads after a long period of time, but I have mostly heard that the regimin won't do anything for blackheads.

Dan, your regimin is awesome, but it is not useful for blackheads, and so we must find other ways of dealing with them.

The big methods that I have been researching so far are:

Whitening toothpaste (leave it on overnight and they all stand up)

Aloe Vera Gel (one guy claims it took them all away)

Steaming (people say it unclogges pores and gets rid of blackheads)

I tryed leaving on the whitening toothpaste over night, but all it did was burn and I didn't get much sleep, eventually I will try it again. But I have also tryed using it as an exfoliant, but recently stopped because I am now ina relationship and I don't want it to damage my skin. But I like this method and I think it could be effective, it just needs some more people to test it.

I tryed applying the aloe vera gel for a few days, and my skin was clear for that time but the blackheads nevere went away, even though the guy said his were gone in 2 days. So now I have mostly stopped that. I think the aloe vera gel should be scrapped as far as working on most people goes.

And I just started the steaming. I got a machine that does it all for you and has a funnel to put your face in. I should begin a once a day or every other routine for that soon. Steaming looks like a good method but I have yet to notice results. Many others swear by it though.

Basically I don't want to experiment much now because I just got into a relationship and I am not trying to sacrifice what is clear to get rid of blackheads.

But something useful that I did read about in a forum is when people have a ton of big blackheads on their nose, that it may be a condition called:

trichostasis spinulosa

"A condition in which hair follicles are blocked with a keratin plug containing lanugo hairs."

I though about this and at first I just recognized it as fancy term for blackheads. But then I realized it is extremely common, and guys over 50 still have it. So this is something that could attract alot of attention if a solution is found.

The best thing for blackheads is to get a facial. I KNOW it's not on the regimen or anything but really when you think about it blackheads aren't going to dissappear on their own, they need to be extracted from the pores, and I speak from experience. Maybe you should add something about that in your website. Otherwise the regimen is excellent! Keep up the good work.

I'm brand new so I certainly can't speak from any experience of using your system but I can tell you what I wish I could read while at your site, information that I think could be valuable and encourage me to really stick with the regimen...

Have you tried offering new users the chance to sign up for a "detailed expirement" where they register with their age, skin type (oily, etc), degree of acne, and from then on they login to your site and enter their day to day results from choices in drop down boxes.... think of all the information you could gather and better yet the detailed results for everyone based on age, skin type, and whatever else you choose.

I think the main thing people want is daily encouragement not to waiver from the regimen. If they can see that x percentage of people around their age, with their skin type and degree of acne, have x% of success... maybe they will take this more seriously. These message boards seem to be full of people who don't use your regimen! It would be nice to see real data from people using it... instead of your bar graph (although I good start).

just an idea,

Travis

I started off the regimen adding my own techniques, like exfoliating, etc. By doing these I didn't have the desired effects for my skin. I've re-read all the instructions and biggest mistakes, etc. and now I'm sticking to the regimen completely. I've found that its working a lot better and I'm clearing up quickly. I think a lot of people will just use the regimen as their last resort, after trying a lot of other products and experimenting beforehand. It's just a case of when people are going to realise that the regimen really does work when followed exactly. I've realised now, but I was a bit stubborn to start with.