Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robynxo

Regimen Robyn

History of my acne

I remember when I was in Year 4 (I live in England, I was about 9 years old I think), we used to share rides to school with this lad I fancied in the year above. His parents couldn't take him to school, so we offered him lifts by car, or we'd walk with him. Anyway, every morning he'd come to our house and sit downstairs watching TV while we got ready to go. I really fancied him (hehe) and so I used to sneak into my mum's room and borrow her foundation and put it on every morning, because I thought it would make me pretty.

One day I woke up with a face full of spots and I was like 'AHHH'. However they went in a couple of days, as I stopped using the foundation.

That was my first brush with acne lol.

Anyway, when my older sister started secondary school (she was 12 years old I think), she suddenly developed acne. She bought loads of spot stuff to treat her acne, and she used to tell me that I could use it, so that I never get spots like her. I was 10 years old at this time, and so I didn't know anything about acne. I used her cleanser like she told me to, every morning and night, to fight off any spots.

By the time I was 12, I had a few spots around my face, and loads of blackheads everywhere. I didn't really notics my spots, and I never used anything to cover them up. However, one time, a boy pointed out my spots and said that I had loads, so I started using foundation that I bought from a market stall to hide them.

My spots got worse and worse up until I was in Year 9 (age 14). I decided that enough was enough and I went to the doctors. He prescribed me Minocycline tablets (antibiotics) and I stuck with them for 2 years. They cleared me up at first, but in the last few months of using them, I began to break out again, worse than before.

I stopped using these tablets and went to the doctors again. He prescribed me with tetracycline tablets (another form of antibiotic). I stuck with these for about 8 months, but after a while I began to get fed up again of seeing no real improvement. At this time I was in Year 12 (Age 17/ a few months ago).

I went to the doctors again and explained my problem. Eventually he prescribed me Dianette, which is the Pill, used for contraception as well as for treating acne.

I stuck with this for only 1 month, because I had a humungous breakout and had cystic acne all round my chin and cheeks. This was when I was going to a wedding in Cornwall a few weeks ago, and it was the worst acne I've ever had. It made me really unhappy, so I decided to look on the internet for treatments that I could get quicker results with.

I then found this site! smile.gif I looked through the forums and I had a look at the Clear Skin Regimen. It sounded worth a try, so here I am, on the regimen now! biggrin.gif

Here is my Regimen log for those who are interested in reading it, but you don't have to if you don't want to lol.

First I'll give some more information about myself.

Info about me

- I have sensitive, combination skin, where its sometimes oily, and sometimes very dry. I use lemon juice mixed with water sometimes to fight the oilyness, and Vitamin E moisturiser to fight the dryness.

- I use concealer on a day-to-day basis.

The concealer I use for special occasions is: Bourjois Light Reflecting Concealer, which I bought from France, but you can buy it in Boots.

The concealer I use daily is: Rimmel Hide the Blemish, or Rimmel Clear Complexion.

I've only been using Rimmel Clear Complexion for a day, and I've just got a few new whiteheads, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Rimmel Hide the Blemish is good so far, and so is the Bourjois Concealer.

Edit:

I am now completely sticking to the regimen, using Garnier face wash as my cleanser and L'oreal moisturiser, as well as Panoxyl bp gel. I'm increasing the amount of bp and my skin is clearing like never before woohoo! smile.gif

I moved this out of the CSR forum because you are not on the regimen. I wish you luck with this, but if it doesn't work, I would suggest twice daily washing max, and no extra exfoliating stuff.

I'm on the regimen using bp gel (I was gonna start posting my log eusa_angel.gif ), was I in the wrong topic forum then? sorry lol. thanks anyways, il try not to exfoliate

OK, I'm currently on Week 3 Day 3 of Dan's Regimen, but I thought I'd make a log anyways. However, I did save some days that I logged in another Regimen Log I made, so I'll copy them into here.

Before the Regimen

Moderate acne around lower cheeks and chin area.

I got about 5+ new whiteheads a day

My skin was quite red from my acne, and quite sore aswell.

Week 1

Day 1: not much difference, drier skin

Day 2: some pimples drying up, itchy skin around the area with most spots

Day 3: very itchy and red skin around chin, looked like i had a red beard, not good at all

Day 4: some spots clearing up, not as many new whiteheads, still dry skin

Day 5: skin not as dry, couple of new whiteheads, definitely see a slight improvement - still have the spots, but skin feels much cleaner, not as oily, and hardly and whiteheads.

A pic of my face when it was really dry and red in Week 1 of using the Regimen:

user posted image

Week 2

Overall, the redness had gone and my spots had greatly reduced. No cystic acne, but still a couple of whiteheads. Skin quite dry, so had to exfoliate regularly to get rid of peely skin. Skin was clearing up amazingly well. smile.gif

Week 3

Day 1: Still clearing up well smile.gif

Day 2: The weather suddenly got really hot and humid, I broke out in a few new whiteheads sad.gif, and my skin got really oily. I decided to invest in some more moisturiser and concealer smile.gif

Day 3 (Today):

Right, today I woke up and I had a couple new whiteheads. I used my concealer because I went out today. My skin got really oily, and I could feel my pores clogging up. When I got home today, I rinsed my face and cleansed it to get the makeup off. I found I had a couple new whiteheads sad.gif. But I moisturised anyway. Grrr. I hate getting new whiteheads, I just want to pop them but I don't want to make new red marks.

Sometimes I pop them, but then they always tend to come back a few times! Anyway, I'll be brief, I'm going bed in a min lol. I've washed my face now, I've posted this regimen while I'm waiting the 15 mins before I can put my bp gel on. My skin is really dry sad.gif I don't have any whiteheads currently because I popped them safely redface.gif . It's another humid night tonight, but I have my fan, and I've changed my pillow cases.

I think I should stop using products in my hair (I use Sheer Blonde volumising spray, and moose). I've been getting a few pimples on my forehead. Maybe it's because of the products, or it might be because of the weather.. I'm not sure.

Anyway thanks for reading. Tomorrow I'll wash then maybe take a pic of my current state of acne. Nitey nite! smile.gif Hope those of you on some sort of regimen are having luck with it.

Guest Marino

Hey Robyn,

Your story is just like myn, i gota acne at 12, then went on antibiotics, then after they stoped working i tried the regime.

It cleared me up really good in about 3 months, hope you have the same results.

At the moment i'm on Isotrex [topical acutane] and it works well, however i think i might go back to regime for my face to maintain my skin because i'm starting to use it on my body and i could save money buying it in bulk.

I'm glad the itchiness and redness has subsided, thats the worst part.

Now you just got to give it some time and follow it relgiously, i know its a pain in the ass runbing that much gel in but trust me its eventually worth it.

Also remember to give it time, acne generally take 2-3 months to form before it comes to the surface [for the exception of hormonal and allergic reaction acne], so give it a good 3 months to work.

Wishing you the best of luck!

thanks marino and acnesuxx smile.gif

I'm going to wait a couple more months, and if I'm not happy with my skin, and it hasn't improved, I think I'm going to try accutane. ahh. Thats if my doctor will give it me. I'm just fed up of being stuck in a cycle where somedays my skin looks better, so I build my hopes up, and then suddenly the next day I get loads of cysts, so I have to start being patient again. Grr.

Week 3 Day 4

I woke up this morning, and went into the bathroom first thing to wash my face. Oh.. my.. golly...gosh. My face was so oily I've never seen it that shiny!! I looked like a christmas tree!! lol. My first thought was 'Dam I'm gonna get loads of new whiteheads!'. And I did. eusa_doh.gif

I washed and did the regimen, and I was looking in the mirror at my skin. It's wierd, because the more I look, the more I become paranoid and notice things about my skin. Like all the red marks, and blackheads. I ended up exfoliating (woops) to try and get rid of the red marks a bit, and then I moisturised. I wish I weren't so paranoid about my face, but I'm going out tonight, and I want to look nice and not all red and blotchy like I do now.

Anyway, the right side of my chin has cleared a lot, no new spots there (even though there's all the red marks). But the left side is still quite bad, and just below my lip in the middle is a bad place aswell.

I've put a tiny bit of concealer on the red marks, but I've left the spots, and I took a picture of the main area where I'm having problems now. It's not a very good quality pic because I haven't got a camera/scanner, so I have to use the camera on my phone.

user posted image

Not very good lighting either.. they look redder than that! If only they looked like the pic lol.

Anyway, that's where my skin is bad now. I'm also breaking out on my forehead, I think it's because of the products I use for my hair sad.gif Here's a pic of my forehead.

user posted image

I absolutely HATE whiteheads. I don't know how to stop them from coming. I put lemon juice on my face last night, so that my skin wouldn't be that oily in the morning, but obviously that didn't work.

Tomorrow my skin might be a bit worse, because I'm wearing makeup tonight, and I might have a hangover eusa_shifty.gif but I'm good at doing the regimen when I'm drunk lol. I use a humungous amount of bp haha.

Phew, well that's the news today. I'm in a good mood now because I've got my concealer on, but before that I thought I was going to cry. Only because I'm so paranoid and stressed about my skin. I should remove all mirrors from my house lol. My mum has loads everywhere, so I always catch sight of my skin and then rush to the bathroom to have a closer look. Grrr. Anyway I'll get some credit for my phone tonight, and I'll be able to post more pictures tomorrow. Hope your all having a nice day smile.gifeusa_dance.gif

Hey I'm back, it's still Week 3 Day 4, but I'm back anyways.

I've put concealer on all over my red marks now. I feel so clear and great. I tell you what, the Rimmel Clear Complexion concealer is really good! I compared that with normal concealer, and I definetly prefer the Clear Complexion concealer.

user posted image

^^I use the concealer (on the right). It has something called a Pure Skin Complex I think, which helps prevent further blemishes. I'm not sure if that works yet because I've only been using it for two days, but I'll see how it goes smile.gif

user posted image

^^This is the Rimmel - Hide the Blemish concealer I use. It's good because it matches my skin tone (Ivory), but I've been breaking out a bit recently, and I'm not sure if its because of this concealer.

user posted image

^^I use this concealer on special occasions, like when I'm going out. It's really good in covering up spots and blemishes, but quite expensive aswell. Also I prefer to use concealer sticks rather than liquid because I've found them better for my skin. But this concealer is good.

user posted image

^^I use this as a wash before applying bp gel. I've found that it's really good, but also quite drying.

user posted image

^^I use this as my exfoliater, and I use a toothbrush head on an electric toothbrush, to exfoliate my face. I use to do it twice a day when my skin was dry and peely, but now I limit myself as much as possible. I've done it once this week.

user posted image

^^I use this as my bp gel. It's good because its aqueous, so not as drying.

You can get the bp gel here:

Pharmacy2u.co.uk

And you can get the rest here:

Boots.com

It may be cheaper to go to a pharmacy/drugstore though, so you can avoid paying Postage and Packaging.

I usually use this moisturiser:

user posted image

or this moisturiser from this range, which I get from Superdrug:

user posted image

^^I've only been using this moisturiser for a couple of days. I'm not sure with it yet, because it makes my skin feel a bit more oily, but I'll give it a few more days.

I really want a moisturiser in the Eucerin Range, but when I went to Boots to look for them, they were all £10+!!! And I don't have that much money. The moisturiser I have now only cost about £2 lol. I will gratefully accept any donations for my moisturiser fund. lol jk

Today's Eating Plan

What I've eaten/drank so far:

Chocolate spread on wholemeal toast (I was just so tempted sad.gif, and I was starving)

2 Cups of Tea. (My only cups of tea for today I promise)

------------------

What I'm going to eat/drink for the rest of today:

FRUIT e.g. bananas

WATER

------------------

I don't know what I'll eat for dinner

Then I'm going out so I'll either be drinking Jack Daniels & coke / Vodka & coke / Dry White wine.

Hmmm. I might try and stick to wine because that might be healthier, but it might make me a bit ill.

I'll drink loads of water when I get back though, I promise eusa_liar.gif lol.

And I'll work off the drinks by walking there and back, and maybe dancing a bit. eusa_dance.gif

Hope I have fun, I've not had fun in ages, because my skin's been bad. I've been really lookin forward to tonight smile.gifeusa_pray.gif

Yo. Hope all is going well.

I used to have acne like yours but on the sides of my cheeks and one thing that i found really helped was regular steaming (gentle of course) and face masks. This will help clear your skin and also compliment the regime nicely.

Regards.

J.

P.S. nice avator smile.gif

thx biggrin.gif

I've got a facial sauna that I got one xmas, I might use that for once. Yeah I love face masks but not when they dry because something always makes me laugh and then it cracks lol and goes everywhere.

I've just been down to jolly ol' asda. I'm too scared of using the Vitamin E moisturiser that I got from superdrug, because so far it's not made my skin feel good, it's gone more oily. But that might just be because the weathers been really hot these past couple of days.

Anyway, I've bought:

user posted image

^^ Garnier Clean & Fresh Clean Feel Facial Wash Norm/Combi Skin

Is Garnier Clean & Fresh Cleansing wash right for me?

Yes, If you have normal to combination skin. This cleansing wash is an ideal daily solution to leave skin feeling perfectly clean and invigorated, looking fresh and radiant

How does it work?

The formula combines purifying agents with pure fruit waters. It rids the skin of impurities and traces of make-up on the skin's surface. Purified, skin feels clean & fresh and able to breathe freely.

I also bought:

user posted image

^^ L'OREAL Pure Zone, Anti-Regreasing Moisturiser

Anti-Regreasing Moisturising Action

- Combats the build-up of sebum to help prevent the skin from regreasing during the day.

- Moisturises and mooths the skin.

- Reduces the appearance of pores, and evens out skin tone.

Non Greasy Texture

- The ultra-light and non greasy texture is immediately absorbed, leaving a velvety finish.

- Does not leave a greasy, sticky film on the skin. Does not block pores.

Results: Continuous Purity

- Immediately, your skin is visible smoother.

- Throughout the day, your skin remains clean and healthy looking, without regreasing. Your skin feels soft and comfortable.

- Day after day, you skin is less greasy, the appearance of pores are reduced.

-----------------

OK, I've just used both products. I'd say if you had extremely dry skin, not to depend on the l'oreal moisturiser, because it's not hydrated my skin loads, but it's good because it feels nice unlike the Vitamin E moisturiser I tried, which felt greasy and wierd on my skin. The wash is good, not too drying and not too strong, as it doesn't make my skin sting like a lot of washes.

I'm going to use these two products as well as the bp gel in future, aswell as my clearoderm spot stick for whiteheads. cool.gif

woof

ahhh I'm so happy!!!

I love buying new stuff for my spotties! biggrin.gif

wub.gif

lol

But my skin is quite dry at the moment. Is it the moisturiser?!?! I'll never know. eusa_wall.gif

ahhh I'm so happy!!!

I love buying new stuff for my spotties! biggrin.gif

wub.gif

lol

But my skin is quite dry at the moment. Is it the moisturiser?!?! I'll never know.  eusa_wall.gif

my skin's not so moderate anymore, but it was before I started the regimen, I had cystic acne on my chin and on my cheeks. Miraculously it's more mild now smile.gif

Week 3 Day 5

OK, I have to say that L'OREAL moisturiser is amazing!! I woke up this morning without oily skin at all!! Yeah, my skin was a bit dry, but I prefer that because then I don't get new whiteheads. smile.gif So this morning, I woke up quite early (7:30am) because I have a hangover lol so I needed a drink of water. I went into the bathroom and looked at my face and thought YESS and triple YESS!!! I had only one new whitehead but that was on my forehead, and my red marks have gone down loads. I think it's because there's Salylic (sp?) acid in the L'OREAL moisturiser. I've just got my 2 tubes of Panoxyl bp gel through the post, so at least I won't run out now, because my current tube is very nearly empty, and I thought I'd have to wait a couple more days.

I had a good night last night, part from my boyf who I went with got really drunk and was a bit embarassing, I hate to say. He was dancing like a mad thing with his eyes closed, and was shouting stuff that was really random when we were outside with my friends. I've been drunk like that before, so I don't mind, but still. lol. Anyway, last night my skin felt good because it didn't get shiny as it usually does, and I think that's because of my moisturiser. But I'm still a bit skeptical yet because it might make me breakout if my skin gets too dry. I'm not sure.

The wash I bought is quite good aswell, because it removes make-up as well as cleanses.

My skin feels a tiny bit dry at the moment, so I hope it doesn't go peely. I might have to apply more moisturiser before I use concealer.

It's wierd waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror without thinking 'AHHH'. My skin used to get me down every morning and night when I washed my face, because even though it doesn't look too bad now, it was quite bad. Well I thought it was bad anyway, because I didn't have anything to compare it to, because I hadn't been on this site.

The worst my skin got was a few months ago. I had cystic acne, and my chin actually looked swollen because the cysts were so big. I broke out in loads of them because I tried to squeeze them (which I now know was a mistake). It spread to my cheeks, and even though I used concealer, I still couldn't hide them. I cried so much then because my face looked so red. I should feel more grateful now that I don't have them as bad anymore. That lasted for a couple of months, and before that I had spots all round my face. Now I just have them in one/two areas that I can control, but a few months ago I had them everywhere, like my nose, cheeks, forehead and chin. It used to take ages to put on makeup in the morning. I guess I do feel lucky now, but I'm still not happy with my skin, but I'm more optimistic at least.

I'm starving but don't know what to eat lol.

Guest Marino

Hey Robyn,

Have you considered adding anything onto your regime for each individual zit?

I hear neutrogena spot treatment is good, dont know if it availble in the UK though,

when i was on the regime i used a very strong spot treatment which was given to me a beautcian,

it was pricy but worked well, however some of the ingrediants in there contradicted the BP and neatralized it.

If you do use a spot treatment product, make sure you do some research to make sure it wont neautralise the BP, i cant remember the exact ingrediant it was for me however it was something fairly common in OTC products.

Take care

Yeah thanks, I think I'm going to look for a good on-the-spot treatment, which won't neutralise the bp. All I've got now is Clearoderm spot stick which I got from Asda Superstore lol. It's got tea tree and witch hazel in it and it's quite good, but I want something a lot more effective.

I've got concealer on now because I'm going round my friend's house. I had to exfoliate (sorry!) because my skin was so peely.

I'm becoming skeptical about the L'OREAL moisturiser. It leaves a kind of layer on my face and it becomes a tiny bit peely (it looks like the kind of peel that you get when you rub an pencil eraser). I try and get rid of the peel, and more and more peel comes off! It's like the moisturiser has left a dry residue which just peels off! sad.gif This has only happened today, and I used my mum's SIMPLE hydrating moisturiser instead for the time being.

I hope it's not like that everytime, because I don't like having peely skin when I want to wear concealer. sad.gif

cool.gif

OK its the end of a sweet day. haha i wish

Anyway the state of my skin:

2 painful white heads in the same area

loads of red marks of course.

one healing spot

Nitey nite! smile.gif

Week 3 Day 6

Not feeling optimistic OR pessimistic this morning. Just feel a bit tired lol and I can't be bothered to worry about my skin too much. I had to pop two whiteheads this morning because they were really desperate to pop, and they were big. Hopefully they won't come back in the same place, though, because I was really careful in popping them. Overall, there's been no huge improvement since yesterday, but my skin feels smoother and looks more even probably because I've had more sleep.

Just finished applying moisturiser to my face (L'oreal). I've also been looking on pharmacy2u.co.uk for some effective spot treatments for individual spots.

Here's what I've found so far.

Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Treatment Cream

Skin Doctors Overnight Zit Zapper

Clearasil Invisible On The Go Treatment Pen

I've tried the Clearasil Invisible On the Go Treatment Pen. I've still got it in my room. It didn't seem to make an effect on my spots, but I might try again.

I think I'm going to eat healthily today. Yesterday I ate:

two slices of brown toast with butter

half a mozzarella pizza with tomato ketchup

a bit of soup that was spare in the pan, that my sister didn't want (leek soup)

half a bag of chips from the chippy, with salad cream.

See, that wasn't a very healthy day lol. I'm wondering what to have for breakfast. I might have weetabix, or just toast, not sure. I have to have a cup of tea though to wake me up a bit. But for lunch and dinner I'm not going to be as unhealthy.

Yum cool.gif

My skin's feeling dry again. I'm think I'm going to have to apply more moisturiser. I think the only thing I can do is get Eucerin Skin Renewal, because I'm fed up of having dry skin. I mean, when I go back to college, I don't want to have to apply moisturiser, because I'll be wearing concealer! So I'll basically have to reapply all my makeup! No way am I doing that unless I want to spend my lunches in the toilets. lol. It's just the Eucerin stuff is kind of out of my price range. rolleyes.gif

user posted image

Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% Urea

This intensive moisturiser specially formulated with 5% Urea for the daily care of dry, tight, rough and flaky facial skin. It is light, non-greasy and can be used under make-up. It is also suitable for use after shaving.

Urea is a moisturiser naturally present in healthy skin. In many dry skin conditions the skin's natural Urea levels are reduced with leads to further moisture loss. This face cream actively helps replenish the Urea lost when the skin becomes dry and improves the skin's ability to retain moisture.

* Fragrance and colourant free to minimise the risk of allergies

* Dermatological skincare

* Gentle moisturiser

* Reduces skin tightness and is easily absorbed

* Helps replenish the natural moisturiser Urea

* Proven in extensive clinical studies to be suitable and effective for dry, very dry and eczema-prone skin.

^^^This is what I want, but from Boots it is £10 !!! sad.gif

Here's a pic of my face today. I'm wearing no concealer whatsoever.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

^ On this one you can see all my marks.

My skin's a bit dry around my jaw area. grr