Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey you guys. Suffered from acne for about 5 years now...I've tried OTC products from clearasil to ketsugo etc, diet approaches, bp gel, zineryt stuff from doctor, antibiotics, drinking water and now I've been on Diane 35 BCP for 2 months without any results. I know I'm really young to be on bcp and that's why I'm not sure whether I wanna carry it on. I've always tried doin nothin to my skin and just washing with mild cleanser and water(man that was bad..)I have ridiculously oily skin...ppl have even commented on it.

Right now I'm using the topical vitamin a and freederm for about 3 months which I've seen a slight improvement in spots but not oil. I dont have severe acne but it depresses me alot to see my friends with normal flawless skin complainin about 1 tiny none existent spot n me havin to deal with it day in day out.

I go back to the docs in a months time for a checkup on the BCP. I've also been referred to a dermatologist...should i consider accutane??I feel nervous about the side affects n stuff coz im so young but I'm sick of this crap now... cry.gif

go for the tane while u are still young..it will take care of your oil situation as well as stopping breakouts..

the side effects aren't as bad as people make them out to be...

being 14 I wouldn't suggest accutane just yet...I prefer to wait to prescribe it until around 16...though I am also a big proponent for it if used properly...right now for the oil I would suggest Brevoxyl 8% or any of a number of sulfur based washes (they smell and are very thick but work well for oil control) twice a day...if it is terrible you can buildup to 3 times. and depending on your skin a moisturizer (though it might not be required). That will control the oil and differin would probably help at night for any blemishes you might have...pretty soon all your friends will probably be dealing with more frequent blemishes while you're clearing up...perhaps you're just much more mature... biggrin.gif hang in there and let us know how it goes...

best of luck

my mate went on it when he was 14... prolly the best thing he has ever done he reckons... he was clear after and has been ever since through his best years. I would go on it if i was you... i waited until now when i could be as clear as him now...

yep id say go for it... i waited a year too long... and i could of been with my mate at the same time as he got it... his skin is absolutley brilliant now... and i am still goin through pimples... but i hope its all worth it... so yeh id say GO FOR IT!...

P.S the side effedcts r nothin to worry about... biggrin.gif

AlKaMiMe...

My overseas peers are quite more daring than us here in the states...pretty much b/c the FDA is on us about this drug all the time. The only issue I have, is that you still need to consider you could have side effects from the medication. I obviously don't know enough about your situation to make a proper risk diagnosis, but while many patients I have do not suffer any severe side effects, there are some that have quite problematic ones. With your age, I would only be cautious b/c the side effects can be quite severe in younger patients. If your derm prescribes it for you, I would certainly trust him/her. We're trained to diagnose on a case by case basis, considering all risk factors involved. So, they'll have the best answer for you. Best of luck