Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oNe2MaNyPiMpOs

ACCUTANE USERS HELP ME OUT!

i was given the choice to take accutane a year ago, but i chose not to because of the worry of side effects and because my parents said no. Now however i figured that nothing works (bunch of OTC and retina micro) and am actually considering giving accutane a go. i know accutane can be costly if not covered by insurance and i know it takes awhile like every acne meds, but i figure if i go through the suffering now i wont have to later. anyways can u kind folks help me out on these Qs?

My acne is moderate. How long should i start seeing results? Is there a horrendous initial outbreak like Retina Micros? Will it make my skin all red like RAM? Is it visually obvious that u look "dried out"? Also will i expect a 99% cure for acne??

THX!

its hard to say when you'll see results...some people see them within a few weeks...others not until after treatment...some people have a bad initial breakout...others have almost no initial breakout....some people will stay clear for years afterward...others break out a month of so after treatment...also, not every one gets exceptionally dry to the point its obvious...

I know its hard to hear that there is no set answer for you...so I'll let you know what happened with me...and I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find other people's experiences (good and bad)

I had mild acne for years that became mildly cystic (always 1 cyst)...it stopped responding to antibiotics and creams...I went on accutane (40mg/day for 5 months)...I began clearing up right away (about a week in) and didn't face any exceptional dryness (it helps not to do it during dry months in your region)...I would wash with cetaphil liquid wash for sensitive skin and use their spf moisturizer...dove body wash/shampoo/conditioner kept all the other stuff hydrated...liquid medicated blistex was great for my lips...I also avoided the initial breakout and the really really dry eyes...after my course I went on Brevoxyl 4% face wash and the same cetaphil moisturizer...once maybe twice a day and I'm still clear a year later...

I was very happy while on accutane...it worked well and I felt great...I ate fairly healthy and did drink plenty of water...I went down to Florida in the summer during my treatment and was fine as long as I used spf 30...drank a little...though you should avoid alcohol...it was one of the smartest things I've done for myself...best of luck...

I'm about half-way through my fourth month of treatment. My skin is just starting to clear significantly (I have only three or four zits on my face at the moment). I started at 10mg, then 20, then 40, and am currently at 60mg. I didn't notice much difference on the lower doses, except that my chest and back acne cleared up right away on the 10mg. As for side-effects, the only thing I have noticed is dry lips. Like John, I also eat healthy and drink LOTS of water (I find it helps with the lips). I also drink occassionally, which is not the greatest thing to do but it is hard to cut out completely.

Oh yeah, I didn't experience an initial outbreak but I think that was because I started with such a low dose and gradually worked my way up.

yea sorry dude, but your questions can only be answered by you after you have gone through a course of accutane. its different for everybody. i can tell you about my first course though.

i had moderate acne, plus a bunch of cystic acne around my hairline and forehead (exactly like now when i think about it) and i went on accutane 40 mg for the first month and then 50 mg for the last 4 months. i stopped getting the huge cysts, but still had mild to moderate acne, and it never went away. then after almost a year off of accutane my cystic acne came back with a vengeance and is really bad, and i am really worried about scarring once they finally go away. so i am back on accutane.

my advice go for it, or better yet you could try that ALA photodynamic light procedure which you could find in some other threads, and let us all know how it worked. it is supposed to be really good and costs 300 per treatment and you will probably need 3 treatments so check it out man.

i have probably 3-4 active pimples (maybe one of which is a cyst) and around 6-7 pimples that seem to be dying (pretty dried out). but they are all noticeable. on the other hand i have tons of redmarks on my left cheek and practically none on my right cheek. my forehead usually clears mroe easily then the cheeks. i also have moderate bacne, but i dont really give a shit about bacne. now will accutane help recover those redmarks because i think thats whats more important to me instead of the pimples. thx