Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
daz2

Afraid to look in the mirror

Hi everyone, im 4 months off accutane and my skin has cleared up tremendously but my experience has scarred me so much that i have developed a phobia of mirror and photos - pretty much anything i can see my reflection in. I do look in the mirror but never with the light on and never in the middle of the day. I look at it in the morning or afternoon when the sunlight is dim.

My question is 'does anyone else have this problem?' and will i ever recover? currently i have no scars and my red marks have virtually faded - im exfoliating once every week and putting night-cream every night before i go to bed - but im still afraid.

This perhaps comes harder from a perfectionist. Personally i demand that everything in my life is predictable, controllable and where i want it to be. The fact that my skin was something uncontrollable scared the shit out of me...and is really hard for people to understand who aren't perfectionists.

Daz

Guest Marino

Hey buddy,

I can totally relate, looking at my face when my acne was bad totally got me in the habit of looking away from any type or reflection.

Its become a habit for me rather than a phobia, and now i'm starting to have condidence in my looks again.

It was really bad at one point, I would never use the normal light in the shower, i used to always take in my touch lamp and put it in the corner on the lowest setting coz of how depressed i'd get looking my body acne.

Going into the bathroom during the day time would always have me hanging a towel over the miror and close the blinds completely,

I think the best thing to do, is just pyche yourself up, and remember that your now clear and theres nothing to be ashamed of.

Once people start to notice how clear your skin is, and you get a compliment or two you'll start to build up confidence again and you'll slowly get over it.

Best of luck pal

lol, there's this toilet in school that i hate to go in but still go to frequently. It takes a lot of will-power when I go into this BRIGHTLY LIT toilet. I tell you, i can see every damn pimple on my lower face even from a cubicle. But then you just have to remember that no one is going to count every small pimple you have (unless you have cysts everywhere).

People always look at you overall face structure before delving into the details. It is the human mind, we like to look at the big picture. So don't worry too much about how people look at you, that is why you hate to look at mirrors and photos because it was stamp a negative imprint that you are not perfect.

No one's perfect.

So you don't have to worry about looking and worrying sick about your looks. I used to do that to a point where i realized it was something I can't really control and was useless to stresss over. So relax mate, chill, go hang out because you prb are staring too much at the mirror.

I so hear this post. I do the same at times. I absolutely HATE looking into the mirror unless i actually have too.

Sometimes im plesantly surprised and sometimes i wish i didnt look in the mirror at all.

I guess at the end of the day we are all striving for perfection and if it wasn't our skin we were obsessing about then it would be something else.

Regards

J.

I think it has a lot to do with our mind

A lot of the time, I go into a bathroom expecting the worst, to be pleasantly surprised. Other times, when my confidence is high, I go in front of a mirror to find my face full of crap. Lately though, the mirrors have been pretty kind to me smile.gif

I think it has a lot to do with our mind

A lot of the time, I go into a bathroom expecting the worst, to be pleasantly surprised. Other times, when my confidence is high, I go in front of a mirror to find my face full of crap. Lately though, the mirrors have been pretty kind to me smile.gif

I agree, the mind has so much to do with it. I have this image in my head of how I wish I looked and when I look in the mirror and it's not the same it's definitely hard to accept. But I've just been trying to look at the positive side of things like how my skin may not be perfect but definitely is improving. Today I had to renew my license and get a new license picture. I was happy enough with the outcome. I was all worried about it too because this is my pic for the next couple of years and driver's license pictures are bad enough without having to go through the trouble of bad skin haha biggrin.gif

i can relate. my acne isnt that bad i can say but over the years ive had this phobia of mirrors and white light. ive become a vampire somewhat..hehehe. i dont usually look in the mirror, i try to avoid it. like if i have to wash my hands in the wash room, i just go wash my hands (not looking int he mirror) and then go out and try to feel good about myself. your not alone!